Specs of my upcoming PC build - thoughts?

Steve

The build is complete, although everything didn't go to plan!

I was going to use the graphics card from my old PC, but it's custom modded with a cooler and 2 80mm fans. It wouldn't fit into the case of the new PC because of that massive cooler I've fitted. Thankfully, Ivy Bridge CPUs have built in GPUs on the chip, so I popped down to Asda and bought a HDMI to DVI cable and it's working fine. I was going to pick up a new GPU when I had the cash spare anyway, so I'll use the onboard graphics until then.

These pics haven't come out too great, but here you go: -

My first class cable management: -

1.jpg

And the world of wires on the other side of the board: -

2.jpg

Front: -

3.jpg

Rear: -

4.jpg

Plentiful connection options: -

5.jpg

if you're wanting to replace your 8800, a 6870 by Sapphire is a good option, really good value for money. I went from a Sapphire 8800 OC to this:

http://www.ebuyer.com/322114-sapphire-hd-6870-oc-1gb-gddr5-dual-dvi-hdmi-dual-mini-displayport-11179-17-21g bought it off ebuyer too.

if you're bothered you can overclock to the same speeds as a 6990, risky business though. Or go crazy and get a 7970 if you've got a spare £400 odd. I'm into gaming so gimme a shout if you've got any questions re that area.

What's your thoughts on SSD? I'm thinking of getting one but heard problems about deleting and defraggin, as in it wont do it.

What did you think to UEFI? I'm not bowled over by it to be honest, not sure what i was expecting before i got it.

PS. Just had a NERD-GASM...

Thanks mate. I've been looking at the new Asus GeForce 670 card, mainly cos of how quiet it is.

I can definitely recommend an SSD. My PC boots up in about 12 seconds and shuts down in literally 1-2 seconds. Launching programs is much faster too. An SSD doesn't need to be defragged BTW. When data becomes fragmented on a mechanical drive, it increases wear on the drive and slows things down as the read head has to move around the platter(s) to piece together the fragmented data. As an SSD is not mechanical and the data is stored on flash memory, it doesn't matter how fragmented it gets - it's always read at the same speed. Windows 7 disables defrag on SSDs by default because it's totally pointless to do it and it only reduces the lifespan of your drive.

I like UEFI, but yeah, once the computer is set up and running it's not something you ever need.

People are mad on eBay sometimes, i sold a 2.0Ghz quadcore for £50 about six months ago on there. I thought he was a time waster so just said £50 excl. P&P to sell outside of eBay. He paypalled me the money minutes after, i thought 'what a daft cunt'.

Spotted a nice SSD here:

http://dealforu.co.uk/epages/eshop330172.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/eshop330172/Products/CSSD-F90GBGT-BK

what do you think? Some other good deals on there too...

I don't think that's a good deal TBH mate. That's the SSD I was going to get, but then I read that some people are having issues with it and it put me off.

Try this one: -

http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/harddrives-internal/solidstate/upto128gb/agt3-25sat3-120g.html

Or check out the computer section of HotUKDeals, cos the price of SSDs has dropped quite a bit in the last few weeks and there's some good deals posted up there.

The Noctua cooler I'm using is actually quieter than that (and under load it's considerably quieter), although the Antec offers marginally better cooling. The only problem with the Noctua is it's such a big beast. I had to remove the hard drive cage from my case (not an issue for me personally though as I would have done that anyway) to fit it in and there's only a gap of about 2mm between the side of the cooler and the back of the GPU in the 16X slot, so you need to use a backplate or insulate it in some other way.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got it overclocked to 4.5 GHz at the moment: -

Clipboard01.jpg

The temps are nearly 30 degrees off from the Tj Max, so that's a pretty good result on air in such a small case. I could push it further, but I think I'll leave it at that as it's a nice 1 GHz boost over stock and it's running stable after running Prime 95's blend test for several hours.

(Now THAT is a nerdy post, James!)

I have a Cooler Master v8 on my i7 and one thing to consider is a filter on your intake fan. The condensor fins collect dust starting form the inside, so, depending on how long you use this machine, you could ruin your cooler within 2 years.

Just something to consider.

Yeah, that's definitely good advice man. The case actually has 2 filters - 1 on the intake fan that pulls out either side for cleaning: -

http://i.imgur.com/Yfba5.jpg

...and 1 on top that's magnetic: -

http://i.imgur.com/mz3Aa.jpg

I can highly recommend the case, especially if you're looking for something small that still has really good airflow/cooling.

It has some nice features. There's an adjustable "platform" kind of thing that you can raise up and lock in place to support a big CPU cooler so it doesn't put strain on your MOBO. There's also a hard drive cage that can hold up to 5 hard drives (which is removable) and on top of it is a little rubber pad which will help support a long graphics card. It's just really well thought out. It has decent cut outs for cable management too, and spots where you can attach zip ties.

Since I built this PC, occasionally I could hear a fast ticking noise coming from the case. It was bugging me, cos I thought my hard drive was dying, but it was intermittent and I kind of ignored it. It started happening again last night and it carried on going for about an hour so I popped the side of the case off and stopped each fan in turn. Thankfully, it turns out that it's the front fan that's causing the noise, so it's an easy fix. It had me worried for a minute, cos the hard drive is taken from an external drive (therefore it has no warranty) and it would have been £80 down the drain if that was dying.

^^That's a solid case, but too big for my needs. I wanted a micro-ATX build in a small case that I could shove away under my DJ set up.

I've just received an email to say that my new GPU has been posted, so once that arrives this machine will be complete. This is the one I went for in the end, an Asus 670 DirectCU II TOP: -

gtx.jpg

It's more expensive than I'd have liked, but I did well selling my old PC parts on eBay and I'd budgeted £150 for a good internal sound card and I no longer need that, so I thought I'd go with a high end GPU that should last me a while!

• 2 weeks later...

That GPU ended up having to be returned. It's factory overclocked, but it wasn't stable at the stock speeds. I've Googled it and there's a ton of people with the same problem, so it seems it's a quality control issue/bad batch. I still haven't got a replacement either, because stocks are so low. I'm back on the integrated graphics for the time being.