Specs of my upcoming PC build - thoughts?

Steve

That would have been a bit cheeky though!

The idea with the "TOP" versions of these cards is that they hand pick the ones that have the best ability to be overclocked, then they factory overclock them and test them for stability. Having to underclock it to get it stable defeats the object of the TOP versions of the cards.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not having much luck with graphics cards. I got my replacement Asus 670 yesterday. I installed it and turned the PC on and I could hear a whining noise. I ran the Heaven benchmark and the whining got way louder and changed in pitch depending on what stage the benchmark was at. Fucking wank. I contacted Dabs and said I want a refund, so it's being picked up on Monday.

I then ordered a Gigabyte 670 instead, but after I got the email to say it had been posted I noticed that the card requires 1 x 6 pin and 1 x 8 pin power connectors. My power supply only has 2 x 6 pin, lol. FUCK.

I have 2x Sapphire Radeon 4860 cards running in Crossfire and love it. Then again I have an Intel motherboard.

Actually I have an Asus 870 I think. I'm not at home.

Edited by djlotus

• 3 weeks later...

My PC is finally complete, only 2 months after I started building it. :d

The whining noise I was hearing was actually my PSU. Fitting a high end graphics card was obviously stressing the PSU more, which was causing a capacitor to whine. I bought a Seasonic X-760 modular PSU and fitted that and the whining is gone. I'm running a Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3X 2GB GDDR5 graphics card now. Overall, the PC is close to silent, even under full load. I'm really pleased with it. I've been stress testing it for a couple of hours and the temps are great considering I'm using a small case: -

Clipboard01.jpg

Only just over half way to Tj. Max.

The PSU that has the whining issue is still under warranty amazingly. I bought it in 2008, but when I checked the warranty details it has a 5 year warranty, so Corsair should replace it for a new one which I'll sell on eBay (no doubt to some dopey cunt that won't pay up, haha) to get some of the money I spent on the X-760 back.

• Like 1

I play games on the PC sometimes and I wanted a card that would let me crank all of the eye candy up to max. I also wanted a powerful card that had a relatively low power draw and one that was as close to silent as possible. Some of the new third party 670s fitted the bill perfectly.

^^That case looks fucking small considering what it claims to be able to hold, but I wonder how much of an issue heat would be?

@Deft - Don't be put off building a PC cos of this thread! Haha. I'm well pleased with the results and it was worth dealing with the odd hiccup to get there.

• 1 year later...

Gigabyte GTX 670 OC 2GB.

I'm selling it if you want to buy it. £170 + shipping. It's an awesome card if you're gaming at 1080p or below (which I'm not, hence the upgrade). Super quiet too.

Steve.

You used to be the board hard-man but when was the last time you threw some cunt up a street?

That's the kind of threat that makes people sit up and listen.

I was in Belgrade a couple of weeks ago with some mates and one said to the other:

"Shut up or I'll chin you into the fucking Danube."

And he did (shut up).