What kind of Jazz is this?

Vekked

thats sounds cool, homie... like cool jazz. however, the composer isnt a jazz composer he is very avant garde and collaborates with many different types of musicians. all jazz though, really, is up for debate and discussion.

lounge jazz innit.

kinda reminds me of all those tracks on compilations like saint-germain-des-pres cafe and hotel costes. I used to listen to that stuff a lot a few years ago when i was dreaming of becoming a trendy lounge dj (that failed).

but koop's "koop islands" has a lotta tunes like this, maybe check out de-phazz, waldeck, nicola conte, bugge wesseltoft, jazzanova, etc. Although many nu-jazz producers are hit and miss these days.

in terms of tempo, and relaxed atmosphere, it reminds me of soul-jazz people like Jimmy Smith, Johnny Hammond, and Larry Young.

some hard bop guys from the mid 60s too. Grant Green, Wes Montgomery, etc.

some slow Charles Mingus tunes too.

cool jazz is actually a subgenre:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TZ-ElyjwYc

sounds very lounge for sure but I dunno if that falls into cool jazz or what. Not really a jazz expert. Here some examples on wiki tho if you haven't already looked it up: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_jazz_genres

Lol thx for the clarification, I was listening to a bunch of cool jazz but didn't really hear similar stuff... that 2nd track is really sick. So club jazz you say? Is that like a legit subgenre I can search for? I'm just trying to find similar stuff... but yea it definitely gives me that lounge vibe... or like it should be the soundtrack for a poetry night or something, lol.

Nowadays if you search for club jazz or modern club jazz you'll find a lot of Japanese artists. Seems like they have taken over the club jazz scene completely and have speed it up X10. Older club jazz was slower and more smokey sounding like Angelos. For similar sounds I would also check out Barry Adamson,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbbRqMN495U&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KTV8uL3dNs

^He's got that slow smokey sound down to a T. I love that guy too, very diverse. Also check out Soil and Pimp Sessions (Japanese modern club jazz) for some much faster but sometimes equally haunting jazz sounds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQMgXPFzdg8

BTW, it's definitely not cool jazz.

Cool jazz is basically white guys trying to make jazz for old white guys. Cool jazz is jazz' awkward white redheaded step child, so it's not a good thing to be classified.

uhmm... angelo badalmenti is white... and not a jazz musician. he is a composer who was emulating a particular style for david lynch.

"all jazz though, really, is up for debate and discussion." -the last sentence in my original post.

id like to think id do the same for anyone else. there may even be some examples of that on this site. however, i am aware of an issue with my manner and diction. it happens daily at work. people think i am being sarcastic or condescending because i always say please, thank you, sir, and maam, have a somewhat antiquated vocabulary, and always deliver information in an impersonal matter-of-factly sort of way. but its just the way i am; i cannot help it. you may remember i voted for rchecka as best new dver; i think the dude is awesome and meant absolutely no disrespect. but lets consider this more closely... i seriously suggested at the end of my OP not to consider what i, or anyone else, says as jazz and subsequent subgenres were all up for discussion. then he tells me that i am wrong (which i kind of hinted at myself) because "cool jazz is music made by white dudes for old white dudes." which i hope is an abbreviated version. however, the track in question is actually made by an old white man essentially for an old white man.

i guess i could have just brushed it off and ignored the rest of the thread. i dunno.

A song from the Twin Peaks soundtrack:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKBRyNNW3u0

Is there a name for this style of Jazz? Maybe it's not even called Jazz, but sounds like it to me. Thx!

It is lounge jazz but...its on some high on acid and heron, cubist, communist, beatnick type steez. It's in the same style as the pink panther theme music! I love this tune great series too.

Cool jazz is basically white guys trying to make jazz for old white guys. Cool jazz is jazzes' awkward white redheaded step child, so it's not a good thing to be classified.

You're not getting cool jazz and smooth jazz confused a bit there are you?

Incidentally any of you doods who want to check a bit more jazz, check out the Diggin' On Blue mixes by Pete Rock, Lord Finesse & Biz Markie - they're a nice introduction into the sound.

that barry adamson is more along the same lines, but it's not quiiite what I'm looking for. Anymore recommendations for stuff that's in the same vein? I like the very minimal sound where it's basically the bass + sax, super chill. Adamson has a similar vibe but it's a lot more full sounding, a bit more energetic and stuff...

Cool jazz is basically white guys trying to make jazz for old white guys. Cool jazz is jazzes' awkward white redheaded step child, so it's not a good thing to be classified.

You're not getting cool jazz and smooth jazz confused a bit there are you?

Nope, I'm not confusing the two, although there are similarities between the 2 subgenres.

If not just for the sake of this discussion, for genuinely great education reasons please watch this short clip. This is definitely the best definition of cool jazz I have ever heard.

If you don't want to watch the whole 3 minute clip, go to the 1:06 minute mark and listen to the author of the documentary's definition. If you disagreed with his assessment, I seriously would be very surprised.

^I doubt anyone would disagree with that definiton.

Jopa, no offense, I just disagree with you thats all. My definition of cool jazz was obviously a bit tounge and cheek, I realize as an Italian Angelo Badalamenti is a white guy. I also know that usually he's a composer and primarily known for his soundtracks. But it's definitely a Jazz composition, and since I completely agree with the video documentary above, (that definition of cool jazz) I'll stick with my story that it's not cool jazz.

Barry Adamson is as close as I can get to that sound Vekked for a recommendation. I don't know if there is a lot of that kind of jazz prominantly out there any more. Twin Peaks made that sound more popular at a time when it was basically dead. Since that time I've heard music like that only a handful of times. If you do a bit of digging for post hard bop 1950s club jazz you may be able to find a few similar tunes, but it's probably not easy to dig up enough to put together a short compilation of that style. Let me know if you find more examples of that, I really like that style myself.

I have a compilation from Blue Note called "Mostly Modal" which has some nicer laid back vibes like that, but it's primarily hard bop.

that barry adamson is more along the same lines, but it's not quiiite what I'm looking for. Anymore recommendations for stuff that's in the same vein? I like the very minimal sound where it's basically the bass + sax, super chill. Adamson has a similar vibe but it's a lot more full sounding, a bit more energetic and stuff...

Some euro jazz is like that. Also type in ballad for the slow cafe lounge shit! Massimo is a KING! ^^^