1. 1. Choose!

• eric
    • jimmy p
    • kut class
    • symatic
    • wax on
    • dopp

KK gets my vote.

I tried to upload dopp's beat to SoundCloud and it came up with shite about copyright infringement. I'll sort something out in the next few minutes and add a streaming option for his file though.......

My verdicts.

Eric: very nice. Perfect for scratching over. It's not especially my cup of tea but I can't put my finger on why, I think it's the kind of modern, heavy, techy sound.

James Penguin: Not really my cup of tea but it's pretty spot on for Jimmy! What can I say? It's good but I don't like it.

Kut Klass: I voted for this one because it's really nice and sparse and the devil's in the detail. The reverb on the drums, the little congas or whatever they are, those little reversed sounds, the gasps. I seriously love this beat. It'd be nice to hear someone rap over it.

Sy: a bit heavy for me. This has a very scratch looper-y sound and it's abit full-on for me. I guess less is more? I dunno. I'm fucked if I could attempt something like that though!

Wax: very Wax. I like how you've gone for something different with the sample. It sounds like singin' in the rain. I think this would be hard to scratch on because there's that lead melody on there though.

me: This is the beat I would have voted for. It's perfect. It's the best beat ever created. SoundCloud rejected it because they couldn't handle the traffic.

No court would convict me. I'll do tyme for my b33tz.

Guest Symatic

nice reviews dopp. i agree with you, mines a bit le-jad -ish.

i liked erics and kut's for the sparse-ness, giving scratchers space to do their thing.

jimmy p's was good for scratching on too, i just preferred the actual sounds eric's and kut klass's.

wax's was funky and oldskool, i just prefer slow beats at the moment.

dopp, your loop was dope, nice feel to it. with some extra production on the drums it would be even better, but overall i really like that rough cut rock break sample style.

I went with Kuts, it's got a lazy swing to it that I think may inspire some funky cuts.

the others is kool in they own rights.

If I had to take one of these beats to a desert island, I'd take Wax's for the musicality.

Holy CRAP ! Awesome, I'm on the train grinning from ear to ear. When I get home ill write a proper review of the others, I only heard sy's short loop , dunno which Eric beat got used, jimmy's wasn't about when I tried to dl etc etc yadda yadda ... if si doesn't beat me too it I have a looper template I cud drop these in too :-)

Kut Klass:....... I seriously love this beat. It'd be nice to hear someone rap over it.

I can arrange for that....I was thinking I might drop a little funk over this beat....

Do it bro, I wud love that. If beats get used it makes it worthwhile

• Like 1

i really like sy's beat out of the lot, it's got good energy and pace for cutting to and im a bass n blip fan ;-) same what others said with eirc's being sparse so you can hear your cuts, i don't think i've ever heard a dopp beat and im impreessed !! i kinda made the loop in the middle section first , had a cut on it , tried to work out the bits where you'd want it to drop, then went back and cut it down.

...would be good if we could get a digital vertigo sample for people to use for the scratch battle , if it happens :-)

just grabbed the dv logo, will see if i can come up with a looper

kut got it from me... as some seemed to be just looped samples and others more fully worked tracks i decided to go purely on feel and vibe. runners up: symatic and dopp.