if you had to choose...

Solemn

I'm not saying it does Wax but the sounds that are characteristic of drum and bass are so pervasive in its subgenres as to make all of them sound annoying similar, with any differences academic.

I can't be arsed to argue this point any more because, as Chris says, it's argument for argument's sake and we're dangerously close to "What is hip hop debate #104710976" which is bad territory.

i think what distinguishes modern genres (such as house, hiphop or d'n'b) from traditional ones is that the drum pattern always is the genre defining element. although this may as well be true for some older genres such as bossa nova, bebop or what have you, traditional genres seem to revolve primarily around harmony and rhythm of all instruments involved. so as one consequence of this one could argue that newer genres such as house or hiphop are incredibly diverse as the drums allow for a vast amount of variation on top of them (harmony & instrumentation), while on the other hand these typical drum patterns sort of limit the space for development of the other instruments which seem to be less "important". and most importantly modern genres adopt conventions traditional genres have brought with them instead of inventing new conventions. that's why i'd even go so far as to say that e.g. soulful hip hop, soulful house and some dnb have more in common than, say, flying lotus and necro, altough they are both classified as hip hop. now i've almost lost track but i think what my point is, is that it isn't always appropriate to think of genres as entities with vertical boundaries but rather as things that are connected through horizontal similarities. and these similiarities are conventions the big traditional genres (jazz, pop/rock, soul, classical music, reggae.....) did introduce. so as a result of this one might argue that dnd is a diverse genre because its structure allows for many of the traditional conventions to be adopted, but on the other hand for me the traditional genres are the "real" thing. that is to say, by choosing jazz i could "only" listen to jazzy stuff, while as a result of choosing hip hop i could listen to loads of different stuff that is so diverse that i don't even want to listen to 80% of it, although paradoxically most of it is very similiar at its core since as soon as one of these newer genres adopts too many conventions of a traditional genre it becomes this genre. that is why for me it would be pointless to pick one of these modern genres. while the latter may be more appealing to teenagers and people stuck in adolescence, you'll always end up listening to the "real thing" when growing older.

i think what distinguishes modern genres (such as house, hiphop or d'n'b) from traditional ones is that the drum pattern always is the genre defining element. although this may as well be true for some older genres such as bossa nova, bebop or what have you, traditional genres seem to revolve primarily around harmony and rhythm of all instruments involved. so as one consequence of this one could argue that newer genres such as house or hiphop are incredibly diverse as the drums allow for a vast amount of variation above them (harmony & instrumentation), one the other hand these typical drum patterns sort of limit the space for development of the other instruments which seem to be less "important". and most importantly modern genres adopt conventions traditional genres have brought with them instead of inventing new conventions. that's why i'd even go so far as to say that e.g. soulful hip hop, soulful house and some dnb have more in common than, say, flying lotus and necro, altough they are both classified as hip hop. now i've almost lost track but i think what my point is, is that it isn't always appropriate to think of genres as entities with vertical boundaries but rather as things that are connected through vertical similarities. and these similiarities are conventions the big traditional genres (jazz, pop/rock, soul, classical music, reggae) did introduce. so as a result of this one might argue that dnd is a diverse genre because its structure allows for many of the traditional conventions to be adopted, but on the other hand for me the traditional genres are the "real" thing. that is to say, by choosing jazz i could "only" listen to jazzy stuff, while as a result of choosing hip hop i could listen to loads of different stuff that is so diverse that i don't even want to listen to 80% of it, although paradoxically most of it is very similiar in its core since as soon as one of these newer genres adopts too many conventions of a tradtional genre it becomes this genre. that is why for me it would be pointless to pick one of these modern genres. while the latter may be more appealing to teenagers and people stuck in adolescence, you'll always end up listening to the "real thing" when growing older.

What you been smokin solemn?

D&B is actually pretty diverse, here's wikipedia's list of sub-genres but it's hardly a complete list

• Darkstep (or "Darkside" or "Dark", the return of the old school sound of Drum and bass made with new technology – Current Value, Lucio de Rimanez, Limewax and many more)
  • Drumfunk (or "Choppage", "Edits" – atmospheric drum and bass with heavy emphasis on break-styled drum loops, occasionally broken up by drumless atmospheric passages)
  • Hardstep (A harder style of d&b which uses hard basslines and heavy yet simple electronic melodies for example,: The Panacea)
  • Intelligent (or "Atmospheric" or "Ambient")
  • Jazzstep (or "Jazz and Bass")
  • Jump-Up
  • Liquid funk (or simply "Liquid" - drawing heavily on harmonic grooves and samples from Funk music, Soul music, R&B, House music, Disco music, Pop Music and Synthpop)
  • Sambass (or "Brazilian Drum and Bass")
  • Techstep (or "Tech")
  • Techno-DNB (or "Techno Drum and Bass")
  • Neurofunk (or "Neuro" is the progression from Techstep)

The following would generally be described as separate genres by their proponents:

• Breakcore
  • Darkcore (both a precursor and a descendant of drum and bass since modern darkcore productions share much with darkstep)
  • Raggacore
  • Ragga jungle (a modern sound which shares most if not all characteristics with early jungle music – difficult to differentiate – perhaps through frequent mention of H.I.M. Haile Selassie and other Rastafarian themes)[8

It's definitely limited by tempo but it is in now way limit by instruments which can be used and saying that is all sounds the same is ridiculous. Is it more diverse than hip-hop? Fuck knows, I think that's pretty impossible to decide. For some comparisons compare:

Stuff by Paradox

Stuff by Current Value

Stuff by Ed Rush & Optical

Stuff by Billain

Stuff by London Electricity

Stuff by LTJ Bukem

Stuff by Alix Perez

Stuff by Noisia

Listen to 1 tune from each of those artist then come back and say it all sounds the same.

Saying that I wouldn't want to only listen to it for the rest of my life, also this is about Jimmy and the simple fact of the matter is he's wrong even if he's right.

i think what distinguishes modern genres (such as house, hiphop or d'n'b) from traditional ones is that the drum pattern always is the genre defining element. although this may as well be true for some older genres such as bossa nova, bebop or what have you, traditional genres seem to revolve primarily around harmony and rhythm of all instruments involved. so as one consequence of this one could argue that newer genres such as house or hiphop are incredibly diverse as the drums allow for a vast amount of variation on top of them (harmony & instrumentation), while on the other hand these typical drum patterns sort of limit the space for development of the other instruments which seem to be less "important". and most importantly modern genres adopt conventions traditional genres have brought with them instead of inventing new conventions. that's why i'd even go so far as to say that e.g. soulful hip hop, soulful house and some dnb have more in common than, say, flying lotus and necro, altough they are both classified as hip hop. now i've almost lost track but i think what my point is, is that it isn't always appropriate to think of genres as entities with vertical boundaries but rather as things that are connected through horizontal similarities. and these similiarities are conventions the big traditional genres (jazz, pop/rock, soul, classical music, reggae.....) did introduce. so as a result of this one might argue that dnd is a diverse genre because its structure allows for many of the traditional conventions to be adopted, but on the other hand for me the traditional genres are the "real" thing. that is to say, by choosing jazz i could "only" listen to jazzy stuff, while as a result of choosing hip hop i could listen to loads of different stuff that is so diverse that i don't even want to listen to 80% of it, although paradoxically most of it is very similiar at its core since as soon as one of these newer genres adopts too many conventions of a traditional genre it becomes this genre. that is why for me it would be pointless to pick one of these modern genres. while the latter may be more appealing to teenagers and people stuck in adolescence, you'll always end up listening to the "real thing" when growing older.

i think what distinguishes modern genres (such as house, hiphop or d'n'b) from traditional ones is that the drum pattern always is the genre defining element. that is why for me it would be pointless to pick one of these modern genres. while the latter may be more appealing to teenagers and people stuck in adolescence, you'll always end up listening to the "real thing" when growing older.