DVD ripping, encoding and editing software for Windows?

Steve

If you rip your own DVDs and encode them to AVI (or whatever) what do you use?

I'm currently using Bigasoft DVD Ripper and Bigasoft Total Video Converter. The latter seems to be sold by various companies under the same "Total Video Converter" name. It's not particularly stable though and often crashes when you try and use the trimming or cropping functions.

The functions I need are ripping a DVD, then chopping out a section of video and encoding it, preferably to AVI using Xvid.

I've tried Googling for "best DVD ripping software 2011" and so on, but I just end up on fake review sites trying to push certain products. What do you doods use?

My workflow for DVDs currently is;

AnyDVD HD as magic background driver for dodging copy protection (quite expensive but worth it I reckon)

VOB2MPG Pro to extract separate full quality MPG files for archive (was a few quid I think)

Handbrake 0.9.5 to encode MPG to whatever quality MP4 file (free)

I think you can skip the VOB2MPG step but I like to keep the original DVD quality files in case I want to encode to a different format in the future (in the same way I rip all my CDs to Apple Lossless too)

It's pretty easy - I've ripped most of my comedy series DVDs for my PS3 hard drive, and also encoded some stuff for my iPhone and my sis in law's iPod. This new i5 processor makes a good job of the encoding too!

@Deft - Cheers for the suggestions.

I guess what I want is something that does it all with one app. I want to put in a DVD, set the start and end point for a section I want to cut out, then have it ripped/encoded to the format/quality of my choice.

Well in general having AnyDVD running in the background should make sure the DVD is properly accessible. You could have a look at their other companion software to see if it works. For proper video editing I would probably extract the MPG and then use Sony Vegas, but I never really do anything other than rip episodes now. CloneDVD is pretty good for stripping / compressing dual layer to single layer DVDs etc.

I've been dabbling with Handbrake, Deft. I like it, although it's very Apple-centric with the presets! I wonder why they removed the options to encode to AVI and other formats that were in previous versions.

Still, it has a pretty comprehensive set of options that go beyond what most similar apps offer and it seems to be reasonably fast at encoding, so I'll stick with it for now.

• 1 year later...

I been using handbrake combined with VLC for ripping. Works great. A little tedious to setup (search handbrake on lifehacker to see how) but after that it's awesome. Then for converting to any specific format (in particular for iPad) I use meno or something like that. Super simple and does a good job. iPad conversions take a bit of time tho.

handbrake, a thousand times handbrake!

you need more pineapples in your life man!

if handbrake doesn’t cut it, its because your doing something that you can only do with command line tools and a lot of time reading docs.

or maybe you'll manage with winff

there are loads of different video ripper/encoder programs that are based on opensource software like mplayer ffmeg etc, except they break the gpl licence by refusing to distribute the source code. and people who do that are cunts.

there is a fantastic peice of software called 'transcode' that turns all the computers you have into a renderfarm for converting your files, (gpl, based on ffmpeg and only works on linux) but it's really fucking hard to use.

Edited by motosega

• 4 months later...
Avoiding the copyright issues from a technical viewpoint it's really easy. Along with the ones others have mentioned here are two more x264 interfaces that I have used with good results.

Windows:

HandBrake (French)

XMedia Recode (German)

If you like command line applications then FFmpeg works great too. I use it on linux sometimes when I have a large number of files to convert.

Mac:

AppGeeker

• 2 weeks later...

This is shocking and I am filled with horrification at reading this blatant "how to" thread on video piracy.

That being said, I would always trust and have never been let down by AVS, especially when ripping ye olde samples from 90's Gangsta movies, circa millennia Sci-fi or anything said by Will Ferrell... ever.

I would also suggest the Tor Browser to circumvent any service-provider "security" a just "copy link location" as opposed to the normal method.

Other than that: you wouldn't steal a car, blah blah blah ;)