ELP Laser Turntable

Soren

Is it analog anymore once they introduce a laser instead of a standard needle?

One of the whole reasons I listen to records is for that analog sound, so I wonder... does this thing turn records into essentially CDs by processing the grooves as 1s and 0s or does this thing still sound like a record?

How would that work on clear vinyl or picture discs?

The laser beam travels to the wall of the groove and back. The reflection angle is transferred to the audio signal, meaning that the LT maintains analog sound through the entire process, without any digitization. As a result, the LT cannot differentiate between an audio signal or dirt on the record.

http://www.elpj.com/about/index.html

I don't understand how it works to be honest. Well, I do, but I don't understand how they can call it analogue. With a regular needle, the vibration of the stylus tip is what creates the sound. With this, it's light being beamed into the groove, but what converts the laser readings into sound?

It seems like it would actually give better sound than a regular turntable in a lot of cases, because of where it's reading the groove which is different to where a regular stylus reads it.

Steve have you ever hooked up the output of a headphone jack to an oscilloscope? Reason im asking is because the laser signal will be transduced to an electrical signal which is voltage. Then that signal goes to pre amp then to speakers the speakers transduces the electrical signal back to actual sound. The only thing that's being replaced is the needle picking up the signal, is now being picked up with a laser. The signal still needs to be transduced to a voltage somehow.

• Like 1

I THINK it will have something to do with interference to the wavelength of the light. Laser has a single wavelength as opposer to normal light where the wavelength can change depending on the surface it is reflected off. The interference signal will be translated into voltage I would have thought. I could be wrong there though!