New Bioshock Infinite demo - OMG

Steve

I did a little bit at a mate's house, but never got round to getting the whole thing. The attention to detail and the 50's theme caught my eye - now I've removed the 360 mod I might see if I can pick it up cheap. I heard the sequel wasn't great, though?

I liked the sequel, but it was basically more of the same and the story/feel of the game just wasn't quite the same. It was made by a different team. Irrational Games made the first one and it was never supposed to have a sequel that was set in the same environment, but the game's publisher, 2K Games, decided to get another team to make a sequel because the first one was such a hit. Bioshock Infinite is the true sequel and that's being made by Irrational.

On Amazon there's a second hand limited edition copy of the first game on sale for £5.23 including delivery.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B000HHIMUQ/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&qid=1310208279&sr=8-4&condition=used

So basically they've made it so that when guys want to take a break and get some time off from the girl friend they can now spend their time in a fantasy world being followed around by a nagging woman!?!?

the demo looks way to scripted to be ACTUAL gameplay. i know this actual gameplay footage, but if this is how the game plays out.. it looks like one gigantic script.

with that being said, and have already played previous bioshock titles.. i have nothing but optimism for this game. the new approach, new world to discover, new craziness.. i cant wait.

• 1 year later...

New trailer: -

If you pre-order this game, at least on PC, you get to play an online mini-game that's one of those "place the different cogs on the grid to turn the wheels" things. Each time you complete a level, you get to choose a different faction from the 2 factions that are in the game which will affect the story when you play the full game. Completing levels unlocks bonus in-game items for the full game too. Pretty cool.

• 4 weeks later...

The PC version of this game comes with some good offers. I pre-ordered it from Green Man Gaming for £24. I got an email today saying that as I pre-ordered Infinite, I was entitled to 2 free games - the original BioShock and a choice of either BioShock 2, Mafia II, The Darkness II, Civ 5 or Spec Ops: The Line.

There's also a reward scheme on Steam. As more people pre-order the game, it unlocks the following rewards: -

Level 1 = A copy of the original BioShock (already unlocked)

Level 2 = Exclusive Team Fortress 2 BioShock items

Level 3 = A copy of X-Com: Enemy Unknown

When you buy it from Green Man Gaming you get a code to actually get the game from Steam, so I don't know if it's possible to get both the Green Man Gaming and Steam rewards.

• 4 weeks later...

The first review scores of this are out from IGN. They gave the console version 9.4 and the PC version 9.5.

I'm surprised that, given they did separate reviews for console and PC, they only docked 0.1 from the console score given that they said this: -

Aging console graphics hardware lets down Infinite, too. When the original BioShock debuted on Xbox 360 in 2007, it was an eye-gasmic wonder – a blissful marriage of Art Deco art direction with top-shelf graphics technology. Fast-forward almost six years, and Infinite is every bit as effective in the former area, but in the raw graphics department it fails to make anywhere near the same impact on either Microsoft or Sony’s box.

It’s far from an ugly game (quite the opposite, really), but the low-quality textures, wooden NPCs (aside from Elizabeth), and occasional minor but noticeable framerate hitches are all maladies the first BioShock avoided. It seems Infinite’s stratospheric ambition is a bit too much, at least in the technology department, for the creaky hardware of the aging consoles. The PC version, as run on mid-range hardware, makes no such visual compromises, with gorgeous high-resolution textures, detailed faces, and smooth performance.

It turns out that you do get the Steam rewards if you pre-ordered from Green Man Gaming, so for £23.99 I got BioShock, Spec Ops: The Line, BioShock: Infinite and XCOM: Enemy Unknown.

I played 20-30 minutes of this on the Xbox 360 today. I can't really say much about the gameplay/story, but the graphics are definitely not up to par with the original BioShock. The opening of the game has a few throwbacks to the first game in it. I got out in the city, then thought I better stop as I'd rather wait until Tuesday and play it on the PC.

I'm 6 hours into this and it's a really great game IMO.

I love the setting. The original BioShock setting was constantly dark and you knew that if you saw someone it was time to start shooting, but here it's different. The world is colourful and bright and often populated by NPCs that are just going about their business, but they still manage to retain that dark and sinister tone and things can turn nasty at any moment.

The AI of Elizabeth is great. She takes care of herself so you don't have to defend her in fights or worry that she'll get killed. She'll search around in rooms and throw you any coins she finds, or throw you ammo or a health pack while you're in a fight. Elizabeth has the power to kind of tear open space so you can see a parallel universe and you get to control that in some places.

The combat is really good too, although I found the game easy on the normal difficulty setting. It's similar to BioShock in that you have powers mapped to the left trigger, although this time they're called vigors instead of plasmids, then you have regular weapons mapped to the right trigger. There's a bunch of new powers and weapons though, so it doesn't feel like a rinse and repeat of the other games. There's also power ups and items of clothing to find that will give you extra powers.

The game is pretty open, so you can travel about wherever you like. There are optional side missions you can do where you need to backtrack. Travelling around via the skyhook on rails is kinda like being on a rollercoaster. That aspect of the game is done really well too, as you can jump to any rail or hook that's within reach, then once you're on one, you can place the cursor anywhere on a static surface that's in reach to dismount. You can also target enemies and do air attacks, although you can always fire your guns from rails too.

It runs great on the PC. I'm playing on a 2,560 x 1,440 screen so I knocked the preset down from ultra to very high so I could get a solid 60 FPS. If you have a high end graphics card and you're gaming at 1,680 x 1,050 or 1,920 x 1,080 you shouldn't have any problems running this on ultra. It's well optimised and I haven't experienced any issues at all.

• 2 weeks later...