Visualising scratching

Wax On

Firstly apologies if this is in the wrong section.

So i'm doing a bit of djing with a band, and the crowd will be very low on awareness of scratching. I need to try and visualise what I do as much as possible rather than just standing still, pulling a face like a death row inmate and busting out some hella sick cuts...

Anyone got any hints/tips? I'm honestly thinking about wearing wristbands to kind of make the movement of my hands more noticeable...

ta

I find most musicians, unless they have huge egos or are doing a solo, don't usually draw attention to what they're doing with their hands etc when they're playing. I think most people just accept that they're a bassist so they must be playing bass notes of that guitar, sort of thing. Granted decks are slightly more unusual, but I think you should do your thing or go crazy and make your stage persona match that photograph Dirk has in his house.

At the end of the day only geeky musicians truly care about what you're doing technically, whereas everyone else will pay attention to the singer for the majority of it and just enjoy the music as a whole piece. It's nothing to worry about :) nuff said. end of. at the end of the day.

Wax you need to reverse your stage presence from "man monitoring seismic activity needle" to "Bez".

Also do you ahve projecttors or screens? You could just show old looped up Warner Brothers Cartoons/Nazi propaganda and say it's ironic.

this is the only decent visualization of scratching i can think of. dunno if you have seen this before, some guy from switzerland made it and it's called "v-scratch".

It's a friend of mine who made that V-Scratch thingy.

i remember on a qbert dvd toad was giving him some really good advice, i will try and paraphrase...

first show the audience the entire sample once or twice. like baby once and then let it play, raise your hands to the crowd to emphasize "this is the sample in its entirety." maybe even one more time, "w-word." raise hands point at the record. then just bust it... while it my not be juggling with your hands behind your back, or using the fader with you lips or something, i think it will educate the crowd to what is actually going on as well as elevate yourself from the rest of the group in the same way a guitarist goes to the front of the stage when he solos does.

this is the only decent visualization of scratching i can think of. dunno if you have seen this before, some guy from switzerland made it and it's called "v-scratch".

It's a friend of mine who made that V-Scratch thingy.

the website is dead, can it be downloaded do you know or does it require custom hardware?

• 4 months later...

Make over sized movements on the simple, slower kuts. Don't spend much time looking at the turntable or the mixer. When you're not scratching be active in an obvious way, as long as it doesn't clash with the rest of the band's stage presence. Head bang while you kut.

You could pull a Mr. Sinister and basically move your mouth like the sounds. That would be interesting.

You could get something like this and have the sensor right by your monitor so it just picked up you.

http://www.google.co...ed=0CIcBEPMCMAU

Or if ur using Serato obviously you could scratch with serato video and project it on a sheet hanging over ur folding table which would be sick.