Diggers Anthem (Live)

Mike-L

whats up people!!

This is the live version of Diggers Anthem.

Live MPC playing to create the beats, Some Controller One type stuff on the PDX3000, A DIY switch box (for muting elements I record into the mpc) Looping with the RC50 and some scratching and fx too.

Audio is all one take with no editing . You can check the video of that from just the front angle if you want :

Props,respect and high fives from DV crew appreciated!

Guest Symatic

Sick.

I like how you used that little yamaha sampler thing to control the pdx-3000. i kinda wish there was a way to upgrade my pdx-2300 to midi.

by the way where do you get your dubplates cut? sounds pretty clean. I've had a couple done but they do still sound a bit crunchy after a bit of use. maybe i'm just not supplying good enough quality files...

thanks for the kind words everyone!

symatic- the dubplates were done by the carvery cuts. I tend to experiment as much as i can with serato first to make sure the levels are even. Its best to do this by ear than by looking at the waveform- e.g. a continuous bass line which looks as big as a the peaks of drum beat will be really loud if you scratch with it over that beat. A lot of the samples were eq-ed & compressed already during the process of finishing the album tracks. All the scratch plates ive done have needed some eq-ing and compressing to get them sounding good on digital vinyl first though.

The su10 works pretty well, most of the newer contollers of that size are usb only and I didnt want to use the computer. For this reason I had planned to get one for the pdx even before i had the pdx! Ive got a half finished midi contoller that hopefulyl one day will fill the role of the su10 - but with some improvements like easier octave switching and pitch bends.

edit: oh yeah the scratch samples are arranged as skip proofs. This gives me a bit more freedom to change stuff around and improvise but it also means I've got a minute of the same samples so wear and tear isnt as much of a problem.

thanks again everyone!

muzzell - yeah the su10 works well, i got on the hunt for one pretty soon after getting the pdx.. i dotn have a psu for mine though and i keep forgetting to charge the batteries :((

dopp- no its not the drums from "you know my steez" .. im far too much of a sample snob to use 2nd hand samples! :d I used the s900 or mpc60 (cant remember which) to sample the break though , and Premier use the s950 for all his sampling which sounds the same/similar. Preemo got those drums from the live version of "Flash is On The BeatBox". The drums i used are lot cleaner on the original wax too ..i sampled them really hot and it compresses/distorts them in a good way - and despite the hype you often get , that is one thing which is a difference between the newer and older sample machines.

dopp- no its not the drums from "you know my steez" .. im far too much of a sample snob to use 2nd hand samples! :d I used the s900 or mpc60 (cant remember which) to sample the break though , and Premier use the s950 for all his sampling which sounds the same/similar. Preemo got those drums from the live version of "Flash is On The BeatBox". The drums i used are lot cleaner on the original wax too ..i sampled them really hot and it compresses/distorts them in a good way - and despite the hype you often get , that is one thing which is a difference between the newer and older sample machines.

Mike, is that you coyly avoiding saying where you sampled them from or did you sample them off "Flash to the beat"? ;)

Anyway thanks for the info. Is the s900 worth getting? It seems cheap. That's probably not a great sign!

• 2 weeks later...

Mike, is that you coyly avoiding saying where you sampled them from or did you sample them off "Flash to the beat"? ;)

Anyway thanks for the info. Is the s900 worth getting? It seems cheap. That's probably not a great sign!

haha no i didnt sample them from flash to the beat! I

the s900 is good but its a very old school sampler - it is very limited if its your only machine it has 10 seconds sampling! Chopping samples on it is also very time consuming.

Mine cost me about £50 a few years ago and was money well spent - i tend it to use it more of a processor - i.e. I sample stuff into it to get the sound, then record it into something for chopping and sequencing etc. The s950 is practically identical except it can have more memory.