How broad are your tastes in music?

doppelkorn

People often say they have broad tastes like when I was growing up people would be like "I like everything" but they really meant they liked rock, indie and any kind of alternative music whic for some reason always included Cypress Hill and the Beastie Boys.

As Jimmy will deny, I like most music and have a pretty decent colection which I listen to except in the following areas:

House/trance/techno (ghey)

Classical

Jazz

World

Everything else I am a fucking expert on and if you try and deny it I'll be well upset. Do you like lots of music or just one kind?

People are sheep, it's always interested me how there are those genre luminaries that people use as a token for their 'I'm, like, broad minded and definitely not a pigeon holeable person' protestations and by what process the general consensus elects them. Beasties, Cypress Hill... the one that I've always thought the funniest is that people who given the faintest opportunity would launch into a sneering tirade of disdain for chavs (well, it was 'townies' when I was growing up) and their uncultured stupidity, would without fail go mental for Prodigy. But only Prodigy.

I guess I've got fairly definite tastes as I like a lot of different types of music, but it's all sort of on the same side of the coin... I think the more music you listen to and develop a more sophisticated taste for, the harder you have to work to continue to expand your tastes as there's a temptation to comfort yourself with what you know. I think the roots of musical taste are definitely something that become embedded formatively, and everything after that is acquired. For instance I'll never be massively into techno, because it's just too incongruous with the very basis of what I like, but I can definitely take elements of it on board...

My tastes have changed in recent years, mainly through getting into prog rock and guitar stuff. I used to hate it too, then one day I listened to a tune that someone posted on here (either Dee or Ryan probably) and I absolutely loved it, which got me on the hunt for similar music. I also like some rock/grunge stuff, like Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, a bit of Metallica.

My main loves are old school and golden age hip hop and old school electro. I'm also a huge Stevie Wonder fan and I like a lot of R&B, both old and new, as well as funk/soul. I also like a fair bit of pop music, although mostly stuff from the 80s and earlier. I like some EDM (I roll it up into one, cos I dunno what some of the different genres even are these days), and a few choice old school rave and D&B tracks. Oh, and some reggae/ska too.

I've definitely lost my love for modern hip hop though. Even the "good stuff" just isn't that good to me, outside of the odd track here and there.

I'd echo Chris on the coin analogy. The base of most stuff I like is either jazz or soul, and I seem to lean a lot toward texturally rich music. I'd say Soul from most eras, a lot of 70's music (Jazz funk, disco, rock, soul), some late 60s stuff (rock and soul), and 80s wise mainly boogie/RnB. 90s-wise i like rap, some indie and such, and 00s i'd say rap and bits of RnB and pop. I like some bits of classical, not too into it though. And i've started to warm to bits of opera, although i don't know if thats just a phase. love a bit of 60s/70s Eastern-European psych stuff too, though i only have that stuff on mixtapes. I like odd bits of singer songwriter stuff too like Billy Joel/Elton John/James Taylor...

I'd like to get more:

Eastern european psych jazz rock

Chicano Funk

good/accessible Fusion

and i'd like to get some doo wop stuff.

"Genre luminaries" - good term!

I think it's anyone who can present an "outsider" genre in a way that's palatable to mainstream rock tastes. To take a recent example Mumford and Sons are quite popular and I'm sure you'll get people going "oh I love folk...like Mumford and Sons" without actually really liking folk and all that goes with it. Same applies to blues, ska...loads of others. Like the specials being a kind of ska that white people can like.

Is it fair to draw a huge, clumsy line and say that people generally like "black" or "white" music? Steve what you've said splits quite nicely into "I used to like mainly black music but now also like white music".

Also we used to call 'em scallies and I still do. Chav is a soft southerner word.

i say i like everything, and i pretty much mean it! obviously theres bands or songs within certain genres that are shit, but the band/genre can be full of amazing music!

certainly from a creators point of view you have to be able to look at everything in its own light.

ditto

i fully agree with jimmy

I like scratch folk nonsense!!! I really like jazz I'd say that is my favourite kind of music but in general if I like something I'll listen to it. Its a good rule to go by.

If I was to arbitrarily order what I like best for the sake of this thread it would go like this....

Jazz.

Golden age hip hop.

Boogie down soul/electro soul.

Funk and Soul.

Blues and rock.

Pop/indie/grunge

good electro or dance music.

Folk/scottish trad/Irish trad.

Classical.

The types of music I really hate are what I call beige pop and shiny rap/pop.

Beige pop = The lighthouse family, The corrs, Coldplay, U2, Gabrielle, Theres another band called something garden which is probably the band I hate most of all time if not the lighthoose family.

Shiny pop = Anything from lady gag gag to take that or x factor shit or youmg jeezy or jay z or what ever!!!!!

I like loads of stuff but wouldn't consider myself an expert in anything--I can't name that tune (well) for really any genre. If it sounds good tho I like it... and I can recognize a song if I've heard it, just usually not remember who/what it is... so that's kinda a worthless talent except for recognizing if something has been sampled (but by who I don't know? lol).

Only things I don't really like are: Pop country and opera for the most part. I don't hear much pop rock or rap but figure I wouldn't be too into it either. There is lots of bad rock of many subgenres--but that's not to say I don't like the whole genre, it's just bad representations of that genre IMO. There is also a lot of bad dance music. Mostly I don't care for hardcore (dance or hardcore rock for that matter... or punk really), techno is no longer of interest to me, nor is industrial but it still has a nostalgia to it for me.

I like classical, RnB, soul, rock, outlaw country, swing, all kinds of reggae, all kinds of world music, hiphop, loads of dance genres... and so on.

I tend to find I can music I enjoy in most genres, but the tracks I do like are heavily outweighed by the ones I hate! I'd say I enjoy music from a broad variety of genres but I have really picky tastes and only really enjoy a small percentage of songs, whether it's dub, sound design pieces or DMC routines... (which is why I think I find it difficult to make mixtapes of just one genre as I sometimes struggle to find lots of tracks within one genre that I enjoy). However, the one thing I do always enjoy is music with strong percussion, regardless of its genre. I think saying 'I enjoy everything' really shows that you have no personal taste, and it can never really be true as there's always going to be a track out there that will get on your tits, whether it's Jedward, Skream, Nas, Jimmy Hendrix or Dstyles.

These day's I'm still heavily influenced by electronic music, but I love basically ANYTHING that gets my head bopping. I can't count myself to any specific genre, although I guess I'm always down for some golden age Hiphop, DnB, crazy ass basslines in dubstep. But then there are times when I leave the house and specifically want to listen to some roots reggae or perhaps world music (seu jorge for example). Ive had my ipod on random for the past few days and I've been quite suprised what pops up and how I just love it. LIke for example a choir version of Ave Maria popped up and had me close to tears it was so beautiful. Then some kings of leon (sex was on fire) and yeah some good ol jay-z (reasonable doubt). So i guess classifying my taste in music has become impossible.

Just a quick note on lady gaga...now I think she's a cunt and a lot of her songs have been a pain in the ass, but what made me have respect for her, was this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3R3KqrJAI4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CUYvWTd6oA&feature=related

Think what you may, but this gave her credit as a proper musician - at least to me. Eventhough her looks suck. Like wtf ups with that hat?

Pee.z

My musical tastes are really all over. I like a lot of specific albums/artists from certain genres. Hip-hop is like the only genre I'm really into as a whole, dubstep somewhat but not as diehard since it's only been the last 2-3 years. I listen to a lot of 80s hip-hop and such for some reason, a lot of stuff that came out around when I was born, which sucks to get into in a way since barely anyone my age knows any of the songs. I've been listening to Coldcut a lot lately, I wish I made some of their old stuff, especially more beats & pieces.

I've been listening to Coldcut a lot lately, I wish I made some of their old stuff, especially more beats & pieces.

I did work experience at ninja tune this summer and got to chat with the Coldcut guys a few times. John is a legend, top bloke. Software like ableton must be a godsend from their perspective when you imagine the limitations they had when making those megamixes in the 80s

I wouldnt say that i have a broad taste in music, because theres a hell of alot types of music i havent even listened to.

I only really started listening to music about four years ago, so ive got alot of catching up to do. My tastes have changed alot since though, I used to love glitchy type house/electro and used to listen to it all the time, now i cant stand to listen to it outside of a club.

Now i am more into indie, guitar music.

I would say i more of a music snob these days!

Music i cant stand would be nearly everything in the charts. pop, rnb and most new hip hop (chart wise anyway)

Im into indie/80's electro, stuff like bowie, libertines, foals, blondie etc. mostly the commercial stuff.

I do like lady gaga. Partly because her songs are constantly played and ive been ground down?

I went to her monsterball at the 02 arena about a month ago and I was soooo bored, Im a bit too old (or maybe boring) to impressed by fancy lights going on stage and fancy dress. and seeing her copy artist in her best attempt to be original ( i mean neon crucifixes, writhing about on the floor calling someonewho looks like a vampire jesus christ.) But i got to the best part of the evening was when she played songs from her new album, on keys. Truly amazing, Of course setting it alight wasnt needed !