Akai MPK 49 vs. Novation SL MK2

Vekked

My next production equipment purchase is gonna be a midi keyboard (well actually my rents said they'll get me one for christmas, loll). These are the 2 I'm looking at. Does anyone have experience with both that would lean me towards one or the other? Keep in mind I have Maschine for most of my drum/pad related needs.

Also if there's another I should be considering let me know, but from what I've looked at these seem to be the ones that seem to suit my needs the most.

At this point I'm not really sure if I'd have any use for those features or not. I don't have plans on using it in a live situation yet, so I suppose I'll go with the Novation w/ 49 key then?

Thanks for the reply Chris, you're always heaps helpful when it comes to gear decisions.

You're welcome :) you can insert an arp as a midi effect in most DAWs and a timing correct in a lot (it's built into some instruments as well)- in fact doing it this way allows you to tweak after recording, too, but having it built in is that little bit simpler when doing things on the fly, or perhaps when directly controlling a rackmount synth without an arp etc.

How are you getting on with Maschine by the way?

How are you getting on with Maschine by the way?

It's really sick. There's still a lot to it that I haven't gotten into, but I'm starting to get the hang of it. The learning curve has been a bit steep since I've been trying to learn how to be an actual producer this time around and not just a 'beatmaker'. I'm still having heaps of trouble getting it to do stuff in Ableton, but there's a decent chance it's because my prior experience with midi is very minimal.