"Don't hold your iPhone 4 like that!"

Steve

Apple has released official advice for iPhone 4 owners to overcome the problem of the device losing signal when held by the lower left corner.

Steve Jobs responded to a query about the problem from one owner by saying: "Just avoid holding it in that way."

The official advice is to "avoid gripping it in the lower left corner in a way that covers both sides of the black strip in the metal band".

Alternatively, said Apple, customers could buy a case to shield the antenna.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8761240.stm

It reminds me of that old Tommy Cooper joke where he goes to the doctor's and says "it hurts when I do this" (*holds up arm bent at the elbow*) and the doctor replies, "don't do it then".

• 2 weeks later...

i heard those emails were a hoax..

but the issue with the antenna isnt..

i cant seem to wrap my head around apple just ignoring this issue..

did they not beta test these phones enough to where they realized the default way of holding the phone interrupts the signal?

its mind boggling.

i still want an iphone4 though.

im on the waiting list..

stupid apple.. love ya!

Urgh my mate went crazy trying to get the i phone. It was crazy.

He ordered two just so he could get one sooner. Crazy. I cant understand it myself.

I find it funny though, the signal is so shit. I cant understand a word he says when he calls,, But it looks pretty so he likes it :)

(he wont put it in a case either as it's not as pretty....really)

July 12 (Bloomberg) -- Consumer Reports said it isn’t recommending Apple Inc.’s iPhone 4 following tests confirming it has a hardware flaw that causes signal quality to degrade.

“The problem seems to be a design flaw, and it is significant,” Mike Gikas, senior electronics editor for Consumer Reports, said today in an interview.

Tests were conducted in a room designed to eliminate radio- frequency interference, he said. The results showed that when a user covers the lower-left side gap, where two pieces of the external antenna meet, the loss of signal strength may cause the iPhone 4 to drop calls in areas where AT&T Inc.’s network coverage is weak.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-07-12/apple-s-iphone-4-fails-to-get-consumer-reports-recommendation.html

So to recap...

1) Someone found out that if you hold the iPhone 4 covering the bottom left corner you will lose signal and even drop calls.

2) Apple responds saying that users are holding phones wrong.

3) People discover that a case or bumper kinda solves the problem.

4) Apple refuses to give out free bumpers.

5) Apple says it's a bug in the algorithm they use to calculate signal strength (software issue).

6) Indie studies show that it is indeed a hardware issue, not fixable by software.

7) Consumer Reports doesn't recommend people buy.

8) Apple deletes mentions of the Consumer Reports article from their forums.

Wow, seems like Apple better get their shit together and soon.

But wait, I thought Apple were the good guys! It's Microsoft that's supposed to be the evil one, right? Oh no, is this like Star Wars where they are both evil!?

I am also hearing that your phone doesn't lock when you're on the phone.

For instance, your screen stays active, so if you have fat cheeks that press against your screen as you are talking, you will be pushing random buttons that are on the current screen.

WTF CrApple!?

I think Apple have actually done a vista here.... They have rushed something out to make sure that the people who had upgraded to the 3GS so that when the 18 month contract ran out, they wouldnt look at other phones. Sure, its a great idea, but the nhew software update (for os 4) is terrible !

I upgraded the OS on my 3G and it has practically ruined my phone. yes, it still works but it has reduced the performance way too much. they should never have made the update available to the 3G owners. to load up any application now takes an absolute age! me and a friend compared the speed of loadeing up the camera and taking pictures (me with the 3G and he used his 3GS). he had taken 14 pictures by the time it took me to make 1. Also the Ibooks application which i really thought was a cool idea becasue i have an hour to kill each morning going to work and again coming home. It takes about 25 seconds for me to open the application and open the first page of the book. crazy!

My contact is up now and I have the option to get the Iphone 4 next week when its released, but im really not sure if I will get it.. but there is nothing else i really fancy at the moment