2 mpcs?

Jimmy

i got a decision to make. basically i have an mpc 2500 (well its getting fixed down the shop) and i think its great. i know most of the ins and outs of it and it does what i need it to.

but for some reason since it broke, im not as trusting of it as i used to be. and i have the oppertunity to buy a mpc 2000 which i want, mainly cos you cant buy them anymore and also cos i think its probly built better.

am i just being greedy? i think i probly am but i cant shake it off that i want it. does anyone have any thoughts that might help?

thanks

had abit of a think, and its probly better if i get something more portable to combine with the 2500. cos when im away from my desk i always wish i had a small sampler. so at the moment bidding on a boss sp 303.

seems a more practical and cheaper option. and it can still be used like a small mpc anyway

had abit of a think, and its probly better if i get something more portable to combine with the 2500. cos when im away from my desk i always wish i had a small sampler. so at the moment bidding on a boss sp 303.

seems a more practical and cheaper option. and it can still be used like a small mpc anyway

404's are dope:

Button Basher had one for a bit, mad fun to play with. But they're phrase based rather than hit based. Less easy to do drumming with

I was looking at both those two - the 303 and 404. Not that I've go the money but which is better? The goal is just sampling phrases when mixing, the idea being you can sample a fairly rich instrumental break and loop it then drop a fairly sparse track or acapella over the top. Nothing too complicated LOL.

2000's mayhave been built better in there day but they're older machines and spare parts are much harder to come by (like the lcd displays etc).

Ive got 2 mpc's : a 1000 and a 60 . The 1000 sees a lot more action becuase its a lot quicker , the 60's dope for sampling into or doing very simple stuff, because chopping is time consuming. If your using jjos on your 2500 , then i think you'll be losing a lot of work flow benefits by going to the 2000.

hope your 2500 comes back in ship shape condition!

i dont feel i need the JJOS, i've learnt the akai OS now and i enjoy working on it. im even pretty quick on it to.

thanks for the input Mike :)

@ dopp. the 404 is an updated version so its probly better than the sp303. its definitely got more features, but i think (and i could be wrong) the 303 is simpler so abit easier to work with.

but yeh they do the same thing, just that one is newer than the other.

without wanting to sound like the pushy salesmen with a foot wedged in the door:

some simple things that are really useful about jjos

1.change settings for a group of pads or all pads at the same time . akai os is just one pad at a time - which sucks if youve got some sample chops already done but you need to change the tuning of every one for instance.(imagine this with filters,attack too etc )

2.sample chopping is loads better. i prefer chopping on the jjos mpc so much more than any other platform, including things like recycle etc.So much so ive set up loads of custom actions in Reaper so it behaves as much like the JJos sample chopping as possible. (for when im chopping and the mpc isnt around)

3.alt loop and crossfade loop options. perfect for adding a tail on too samples which stop too abruptly.

1,2 are in the free versiom, but 2 is better in the pay version

3 is pay version only.

you lot are like JJOS johova's witnesses :)

thanks again mike,

i think i might look into it one day soon. i spose i can always reinstall the akai OS if i dont like it. somet to think about and all that

The 404 is a lot of fun and you can likely find one used for cheap, but like was said, they are phrase based--it's much simpler (both in a good and bad way) than the MPC and it worthless for drumming.

I had 2+ MPCs at the same time. For a while I was doing a live PA thing with two MPCs (and a DJ mixer) but I found that (for me) it worked better to just do one and a phrase looper or one and a turntable. I've seen people kill it with two MPCs tho... If you can find a second one for cheap, then I'd grab it just to try it out, but I wouldn't buy a new one unless you really feel you are pushing the envelope and need the second. I found I was basically using one to drum/play and the other just would play the beat... so it was like one was always a really expensive CD player / looper. It was still really cool using two but I felt it was overkill. Like I said tho, if you just stumble into a deal, get it. I would suggest getting two of the same model tho so you can easily swap samples/etc. I used two 2kXLs. I also would suggest the XL over the plain 2000. So, if u get a second, get another 2500 or sell urs and get two 1000s with JJOS.