Manual Vs. Automatic beatmatching?

Steve

16 members have voted

1. 1. What is your opinion?

• Manual beatmatching is the only way to go!
    • Automatic beatmatching is the future!

Next they will bring out something that scratches for you.... oh wait, maybe you would be in favor of that also?

Will never happen... :unsure:

Just messing with ya man... It is a fine line for sure--I used to be very judgmental of new technology like CD decks, people pressing custom wax for battles, DJing with represses, and anything else you could argue about but after a while it stopped mattering. If it sounds good who cares. Of course it's cool if the guy is mixing 45s, but it's also cool if someone is using a APC 40. The only thing I still can't really get over is just using a laptop with no controller live.... unless the music is killer.

Haha :)

So tell me... Did you buy one? :o

Its a fine line your right, the reason I say "if you just mix" and i mean if thats all you do. I believe there could be uses but to justify that but you would have to impress in other ways, like Steve says in his original post. A lot of the people using this dont actually do anything else!

^^LOL.. nah, I didn't. I thought it was total bullshit.

The thing tho, is I don't think that people that "just mix" would buy something--because obviously they like to mix. I see it (on the positive) being used by people that are pushing the envelope and blurring the line between live PA and DJing... or (on the negative side) being bought by noobs or retards who can't mix and used as a crutch. Altho, the noobs will likely still sound like crap and get bored of it in about 6 months.

Its like having a piano that plays itself but you can decide what it plays.. yes you can decide but your not actually playing the piano!

^^Isn't that the definition of DJing...lol... "playing" or "performing" someone else's music? haha... it's like "playing" the radio.

Of course I'm being tongue in cheek, but the same argument DJ are using to diss new developments in DJing are the same arguments used to diss DJs and DJing as an artform all together. "They're not doing anything" "all the do is press play" etc etc... IMHO the arguments for either sound ignorant and closed minded.

i have mixed feelings....

when i started DJing, music wasnt 'made to mix' - mixing / beatmatching was a new thing, you had to KNOW UR RECCUDS INSIDE OUT.

breaks werent chopped properly, and shit was loose as fuck...you had to fight with pitch to keep them in - standard.

but i do find the fact that ppl have it so easy makes things a slightly wack imo. gives newcomers opportunities to jump the gun without knowing their shit properly...

^^Totally! And if you use a direct drive turntable you are cheating. And if you cut with a focus fader you are cheating. And if you use DVS your whack. And if you bla bla bla... Shit always gets easier. That's progress.

lol woah woah....missed my point entirely fella...

as i said, advancements make for better things....no doubt!!

i benefit from these things too mang! i might be an old skooler, but c'mon...give some credit for my perspective?

all im sayin is - for me - i cant help but think that without "paying ur dues" ppl dont actually have to get to grips with - or properly understand - the heart and soul of the basic elements...

its of particular relevance as they define the fundamentals on which progress is based, surely?

paint by numbers? or paint your own picture?

as you say - if it sounds good - who cares anyway? ? ?

. . . ?

pz

Hmm, seems like if they are using something to auto beatmatch they might as well not be there, just press play on a cd player.. Really though if people are paying to see a certain dj who just mixes records... yes if thats all they do then - They should learn to do it.

Its like having a piano that plays itself but you can decide what it plays.. yes you can decide but your not actually playing the piano!

Another thing which I have seen is mixing in key - Finding the root note or key of your songs before you mix them, that way you dont normally get things clashing badly and can mean a lot smoother mixes by using the same or the relative key. Its a good idea and I dont think this is cheating at all just music theory.

People like Z-Trip were writing down the original key of their music, way before "mixed in key". It's just like with auto-mixing, which is also a dumb-down-acccessible-way-for-anybody, hence a greater consumer-range to sell your product. It isen't really necessary, and as most "DJs" nowadays say, they are using the extra-time, that they win for not being forced to beatmatch, for additional things. Look at the turntablist scene. It's like it was when the Piklz started. All new, all original, no biters and versatile DJs all around. I just haven't seen it yet...

I like the traditional method of beat matching but that maybe because I spent hours/days/ weeks learning my own mixing style back in the 90's...

On a side note, did anyone notice how sick that Richie Hawtin party looked?

this has become a bit of a "not like in my day" conversation - we're getting old. things change.

Things do change, but that doesn't mean they always change for the better, hip hop music being a prime example of that.

Next they will bring out something that scratches for you....

If someone invented a "Qbert Emulator" where you loaded in a sample and it could cut it up real nice over the top of any beat, what would people think of that? Would they say "it's what comes out of the speakers that matters, not how it's done!" like many people say with mixing now? Maybe they'd say "it frees up my hands to do something else", lol.

this has become a bit of a "not like in my day" conversation - we're getting old. things change.

Things do change, but that doesn't mean they always change for the better, hip hop music being a prime example of that.

If someone invented a "Qbert Emulator" where you loaded in a sample and it could cut it up real nice over the top of any beat, what would people think of that? Would they say "it's what comes out of the speakers that matters, not how it's done!" like many people say with mixing now? Maybe they'd say "it frees up my hands to do something else", lol.

yeah man! then we could all be sick scratchers and be able to masturbate at the same time!

^^LOL.. I think grumpy old geezer Steve just proved his point.

I would think it was stupid and couldn't see the point of using it live, but you can't deny that would be an amazing tool for producers in the studio. T-Pain would love it.

I think grumpy old geezer Steve just proved his point.

Nah man. You've gotta have a screw loose to think that hip hop in the 2000s is better than it was in the 80s and 90s. Being from the South though, I don't expect you to know the difference between good and bad hip hop music. :p

ZING! I didn't even think Brits could understand real rap without subtitles!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6H0i1RAdHk

I was trying to wind you up a little, but...

Two things... one, This is our view, so yes, I think rap in the 90s was better than the 00s. ...but that's maybe just nostalgia. I certainly don't think rap in the 80s was better than the 90s, but you might since you are older... so point is, to a lot of kids the "old" stuff from the 90s may be crap... I don't agree, but who am I to tell them wrong. Maybe we just don't "get it".

Secondly, I think people tend to look back and only see/remember the good. There was a lot of shit in the 80s and 90s too. Just like today.

I think grumpy old geezer Steve just proved his point.

Nah man. You've gotta have a screw loose to think that hip hop in the 2000s is better than it was in the 80s and 90s. Being from the South though, I don't expect you to know the difference between good and bad hip hop music. :p

I didn't say it at the start of the thread...but...where the fuck were you when i was being torn a new hoop by every other cunt 2 years ago? Thanks for the support STEVE!!!

serato sucks and 90s FTW are registered trademarks please seek permission from the foly if you wish to represent the real!

I don't agree that it's just nostalgia. I listened to hip hop pretty much daily since 1983 and I did so for over 20 years, but now I hardly listen to it at all and if I do, it's rarely anything that came out recently. I don't think it's me that's changed.

I mod the hip hop section on DJ Forums, which is the biggest DJ forum on the web. People spend more time posting up shit new songs to take the piss out of them than they do posting up new tracks that they think are great, and that's not older folks taking the piss out of Crank Dat or Stanky Leg. The irony is, the people that are ripping these tunes to shreds are out every weekend playing them in a club, because otherwise they wouldn't be able to get any work. Fuck that. It seems to me that people see a lot of this music as throwaway, so fuck knows what people are going to consider classics in 20 year's time.

• Like 1

I didn't say that things always change for the better, but they do change, so there's no point in moaning about it.

I think i probably listen to more noughties hip hop than 90s these days. not 100% about that though.

Can I add my two cents here?

I was born in '85 and didn't start listening to hip hop till about '99. The first album I ever bought was Nigga Please by ODB and a lot of my mates loved Eminem, Dre, Snoop and stuff. I would say the defining rap album of that era was probably Chronic 2001. Anyway, kind of paralell to this I discovered a lot of older stuff which none of my friends liked and I was kind of forced to listen to on my own. Everyone grew out of hip hop when nu-metal came along and I started liking the Smiths and indie stuff as well as ska.

I've genuinely never met anyone who likes this music in as much depth as me but loads of ppl on the net and in books etc. know more than me about it.

Anyway the point is that I used to like contemporary rap music but actively chose to seek out older stuff and have definately stuck with it out of choice. "Nostalgic rap" for me is stuff off the up in smoke tour. No-one in my peer group likes modern popular rap, we just see it as a joke whereas I think rap in the 80s and to a lesser extent the 90s it had something to say.

This debate can go on and on and does on DJForums but that's my opinion.

Chuck D who was articulating the frustration of urban black youth in America when I was 2 sound better to me than 50 cent who raps about the minor frustrations of 2000s life to those of ample means. Take from that what you will...