Lyrics vs Character

Wax On

I'm definitely more of a character & flow guy, I can't listen to lyrics if the beat is heavy and the flow is on point then that's all good be me...saying that when I notice a clever metaphor or the lyrics are particularly clever I get a massive buzz.

Just the voice can make it for me too I could listen to Charli 2na all day regardless of what he was on about.

I was just listening to a mix in the car and this came one, proper tingly spine moment, the way they bounce of each other and take over from each other mid flow and also the catch chorus just completely does it for me, not got a fucking clue what they're saying in the verse tho because I just don't hear the words...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35USxwRlFEQ

all the best have both! great examples are Redman and Rakim and pharoe monch!

Rakim = god

I've always been into how a tune sounds more than what it's actually saying. For me, the MC's voice/flow/character and the beat are way more important than the actual lyrical content. I can certainly appreciate clever or funny lyrics but I don't listen to music solely for that and if that's all a song has, I won't listen to it, although obviously it's nice if a tune has all of the winning elements. I must have listened to The Show or Roxanne, Roxanne hundreds of times, but the lyrics are utter shite. I love Gang Starr for the production and the sound of Guru's voice. I know he's not the best lyricist, even though he's far from the worst, but Gang Starr are one of my favourite hip hop groups because of all time because of their overall sound.