My first attempt at instrumental ish

Wax On

A guy called Jon Kennedy asked me to have a go at remixing one of his tracks, which is s downbeat tune, fully instrumental.

I've basically kept 2 loops and built a new track, don't know if it's interesting enough to be classed as instrumental hip hop or downbeat or whatever. i'd be really greatful for any feedback from a composition or engineering point of view

you can listen here

http://www.humyo.com/F/5566633-527989283

cheers

This is really nice man would be nice to hear the original so i could see what you done. Anyways really well arranged, drums sound nice and chunky and i think theres plenty going on. If it were me I'd scratch in some wah wah guitar or sax because hip hop/downbeat without scratching sounds wierds to me........but that in itself is wierd so....

cheers Ruby!

Cheers mate, i looked for some sax or flute to go over the top but couldn't find anything which fitted, So i put the electric piano on instead. Also, with my scratching style i might make it sound a bit dated with the way i'd cut something over it.

Here's the original, its just the guitar riffs i've kept

yeah i see what you're saying, i thought it sounded fairly different to the original initially.

Its just such a hard thing remixing an instrumental, i'm just used to doing remixes in the sense of building an entirely different beat for an acapella.

still sounds alot like the original,there is no real differential parts of it.

The original is a downtempo tune with a riff and the remix is the same.

I m just saying in all honesty,if you bought this record would you even notice that it was a remix.

A remix should take the tune off in a different path or try and better the original.

I know what you're saying, i thought it was quite different melodically though and uses different style drums, and different sounds.

I appreciate your criticisms though, and i agree, a remix should take it in another direction, which after all's said and done, this doesn't really do. I'd thought about trying to make it drum n bass, but i don't really know about drum n bass production so would've probably ended up making something which sounded real cheesy.

I think it's different enough - remix's don't have to be completely different - just a different spin on it is enough sometimes.

I've got plenty of tunes where the only difference between the a dn the b side is the drums, and often people still have a strong preference for one or the other.

I prefer your version Wax, although I think it needs to build up the drama a bit in the second half. Maybe add in a few more supporting sounds like more strings and stuff...? I'd consider nudging the tempo up a bit and see if you can push it into melodic club track territory rather than sit at home listening kind of stuff.

Yeah i know what you mean mate. Like i say, its only my first go at remixing an instrumental, so i'm happy to leave it as is for now. In terms of tempo, it didn't even occur to me to switch it up a bit for some reason, not really sure why...i guess i didn't reallly have a vision of an end product, it was more of a "how the fuck do i remix this/which elements can I use" type situation

Coincidentally the artist had the same view as Matt in that it's too similar, but its all good, part of the learning curve innit.

you didn't really have much to work with, it's just lift music to my ears- without substance. your version is much better because the electric piano actually has a 'narrative melody', if you will. i see what matt is saying about the style of the track not being much different- but yours i'd listen to again, his i wouldn't.

Cheers man

yeah i just had the guitar loops, an 808 cowbell type sound, an electric piano (though i did my own electric piano instead) and something else which i can't remember. tricky, as his style is more about the cinematic style arrangement...

your version is much better because the electric piano actually has a 'narrative melody'

This is why I liked it more

Coincidentally the artist had the same view as Matt in that it's too similar, but its all good, part of the learning curve innit.

Why not really make the electric piano the focus and devlope it, maybe nudge the bpm a bit and see if that gives you a different enough remix? Maybe even strip back the sample from the original too...

• 2 weeks later...

Jon Kennedy's a great established artist so congrats on getting his attention! I think your remix does a good job at giving this track a different feel. The original is more epic... like appropriate for a movie score or something where as yours sounds more like a hiphop kinda beat. I think the two are a lot different.