broadband packages

Wax On

If you're looking into getting ADSL, then stick the postcode of your new place in here: -

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/mapping/mapping.php

It'll tell you how far away the nearest exchange is and the sort of max speed you can expect. It's a good starting point because there's no point looking for 20MB deals if you're miles from the exhange. Oh, and it'll also tell you which ISPs you can choose from in that area, although I don't know how up to date that information will be.

Are you jusr after broadband on its own?

I pay 24queen heads per month for 10mb broadband, TV and phone with free calls (not that i use it but its there to make the deal cheap!) thats with Virgin. TV comes with free catch up on demand which keeps her happy if she misses some shite like Eastwhingers or Corry.

talk talk isn't bad as an alternative to bt- no bt line rental or anything like that. you just need to have a bit of your own initiative when you need help because their technical support is atrocious unless you're lucky and get someone who actually knows what they're on about... they have a 40gb monthly limit but it's not enforced, i think it's just to put super leechers off.

and as steve said, don't be swayed by what they say they'll give you on the advert. i'm just over a mile from the exchange here, i thought that'd be good but to get anything over 3mb you need to literally be in the hundreds of yards from the exchange, apparently.

That deal Giz mentioned is actually up to 20Mbps for £9.79 for o2 customers, but remember you have to pay the BT line rental of £11.25 on top of that too.

and as steve said, don't be swayed by what they say they'll give you on the advert. i'm just over a mile from the exchange here, i thought that'd be good but to get anything over 3mb you need to literally be in the hundreds of yards from the exchange, apparently.

Very true. That's why I went with cable, because I'm about 1.5 Km away from the nearest exchange and I could only expect about 2.5 Mbps. I get 18-20 Mbps on Virgin cable, although they do have a traffic management policy, but I'd rather have that than be stuck with 2.5 Mbps broadband. If you live close enough to the exchange to get close to the full 20Mbps o2 are offering, then it's a tough deal to beat especially as it's unlimited and without any traffic shaping.