Scratch: The Ultimate DJ

Steve

I can understand having certain games on consoles - it's just not polite to search out a real live Japanese school girl and meter out heavy kung fu punishement. Or drive your turbo charged Porsche around the streets while running people over for points.

But if I want to scratch, I'll just use decks thankyouverymuch. And I've never seen the fascination with Guitar Hero either.

Its got tracks by Mixmaster Mike amongst others, so surely the scratching won't be awful?

I'm just really curious as to how it works and also whether i'd be any good at it. My mate's a shit hot technical drummer/sight reader, but he's fairly weak on rock band.

But yeah, it's kind of a gash idea. Wonder if it'll bring round a resurgence in scratching though? Does anyone know if guitar hero has coinciced with higher guitar sales or anything?

Did you hear the scratching on the trailer Wax? lol.

I'm a fan of Guitar Hero though. At least with that, it sounds good, plus you do get into it and sort of feel like it's you actually playing the music. Kinda.

Also, with Guitar Hero, the controller is shaped like a guitar, but you're not playing it like one. A real guitarist's skills won't translate over and vice versa. With this, the controller is supposed to have a fader and rotating platter, so a real DJ would expect it to work a certain way because what you're actually doing is very similar to proper DJing. When you try and do a 2-click chirp flare, but it triggers some off time baby scratch going "duffa duffa duffa", you'll see what I mean.

yeah i heard the scratching, but i'm kind of assuming it'll be better than that at some point in the game!

I just wonder what the effect of this game will be. I wonder if it'll get more people into cutting...

Or on the other side of things though, i wonder if more nob ends will go up to Djs who are scratching and be like "oi mate, give us a go, i completed Scratch on the xbox" or whatever.

I played guitar for about 10 years, but i'm friggin wank at guitar hero.

They had a video arcade version with a moving platter and everything when I lived there in 1997... surprised it hasn't made the console jump earlier.

This will be good! It won't just be triggering samples but actually manipulate the audio.

Mix Master Mike is creative/technical consultant so I have faith. Online dj battles and a recording studio mode plus you get awarded points for creativity not just repeating commands(unlike guitar queer-o). Even if the game is shit it will be a cheap turntable controller that I'm sure could be used with other music software (I hope; I can't find any details as to how it communicates with the console). DJ Hero will be wack as its supposedly just mixing.