looking for a driver for a wireless chip

Giraffe Dung

i fixed my mate's laptop, it needed a complete reformat etc and i ended up putting xp on because they hadn't got a vista copy to hand and i thought it would run faster. it does run faster, quite a bit, but it took absolutely fucking ages and some sherlock holmes standard detective work to get all the drivers without them having a restore disk or emachines having any hint that the laptop even exists on their website. i've now got everything, except wireless.

the system is an emachines esystem 3115. fortunately my mate's brother has the same laptop and the device is called a ralink mini card wireless adapter. the only mini card ralink do is the rt2501u according to their website, but they don't have a driver for that model number. i can't remember quite how but i got a wlan.rar file with the vista drivers, but they don't work with xp. i did install some drivers which appeared to work, iirc it was from advice someone had been given on a forum that came up on google. it finds the device and installs it, but acts weird. the windows zero config utility doesn't work, and it's pot luck whether it will appear in network devices or not. the ralink software finds networks, and even uplinks to my mate's network, but won't receive an ip. i am guessing it's the wrong driver, basically.

it took 11 hours to find all the stuff and i was knackered by the end of it and i can't remember all the details. this is the ralink driver page: http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Windows.html and looking at that, for some reason i think i installed the second driver down and can't think why. i am going round tonight and will probably try the fourth down as it is mPCI and rt2500, which is quite close to rt2501u (how scientific).

does anyone have any advice though?