Audio interface: PCI vs Firewire

I think PCI probably is better interms of integration with you computer and drivers and shit, but firewire is isolated which could good for not getting noise from your computer. Either way both are great and you're probably better off looking for a good soundcard which suits your needs rather than worrying where it plugs in. I've been using Firewire for years now and it's great...only problem is you gotta remember to switch the interface on before you fire up your DAW.

Imo its a question of your OS. Using a Mac firewire is great because Apple made most of the specs. I use a Motu828mkII fw together with am Mac and i never had any problem (even when firing the DAW before the interface), latency is close to zero.

On a PC firewire won´t be implemented that good so PCI will be better as x2k said.

I don't think that is entirely fair...if you've got firewire with a TI chipset you should be fine....never ever had a problem with firewire running either a motu 828mk2 or echo audiofire.

The problem with firing up the DAW before switching it on is that my DAW reverts to the internal soundcard which is partly the DAWs fault and partly mine for not disabling the sound card, when that happens I have to either got to device setup up and switch back or restart the DAW, not big hassle though because I normally switch it on with the PC anyway.

Seriously, like I said before, just forget how it connects and choose the best sound card for you because either will be fine.

If it's a desktop, PCI would probably be your best bet as it is, in my opinion, faster and more stable. If you're using a Windows laptop, I dunno, because most Windows laptops don't have TI Firewire chipsets, and thus, most will have a hard time reading your Firewire interface.

• 4 weeks later...
If it's a desktop, PCI would probably be your best bet as it is, in my opinion, faster and more stable. If you're using a Windows laptop, I dunno, because most Windows laptops don't have TI Firewire chipsets, and thus, most will have a hard time reading your Firewire interface.

This is true. There are a few that I found though.

Sony Vaio CR Series

Sony Vaio AR Series

LG R500 Series

LG R405 Series

LG R200 Series

The company that you are most likely to find them in a laptop is Acer. Most of their Travelmates and Extensa series have them.

Edited by Psykadelik