Monitor Speaker Help

Hey dudes,

I'm looking to get a pair of decent monitor speakers to run with my PC for helping me master/mixdown my mixtapes & blends/mashups to a better standard....

I've heard a lot of good reviews about the KRK speakers....but not sure which would be best suited for my setup (my stuff's all in the bedroom)....

I'm a bit of a technophobe when it comes to shit like connecting things together etc, so any help/advice would be great....

I'm assuming that with powered monitors, I wouldn't need another amp/mixer would I?

• 2 weeks later...

If you're looking at KRK I use the V6s in the studio daily, they sound good and clear but they won't make your music sound any better than it is so they're perfect for mixing (mixing tracks or beats as opposed to djing.)

I think the V8s would be a bit too much low end for a bedroom and the V4s won't make you feel the low end enough...

i can wholeheartedly recommend the yamaha hs80s. they're almost completely transparent, and they also have a tri mode bass cut to suit the acoustics of your room. just like with hifi speakers, and as paul says, the size of your room is very important- too big and you'll lose the dynamic advantages of decent monitors, too small and you go back the other way. it's difficult to find professional quality monitors too small for a bedroom though. one thing i didn't do, but should have, is properly isolate the speakers and dampen the room. ideally i think you should budget for that too. i used a denon/mission stereo setup for years and years, and found that other than the odd frequency that just popped out like a sore thumb on the monitors, i was making the mix i wanted to on them too because i was so accustomed to them. having decent stereo speakers as well to a/b with is a great way to work i think, not least because when you actually make music on monitors, the absolute clarity will tire your ears. if you can work to a good standard on your hifi, then switch to monitors to finish, you'll have the best of both worlds i think.

oh, there's also a hs50 alternative which is smaller, but there's a 2.1 option to help with bass as well. i might have had them had i not had such a good deal on the 80s, which are arguably too big for my room anyway.