DJ Yoda Interview from May

Wax On

I interviewed him about 2 months ago for his tour, enjoy:

Can you describe your upcoming show?

Yeah it’s called the magic cinema show. Because of new DJ technology I can scratch with DVD’s, so I’ve taken my faviourite bits of movies, tv programmes, cartoons, music videos, and even some footage i’ve filmed, and I’m scratching it up over the music.

How many times have you been to the cinema?

Beyond what I could count to.

What can you count to?

Don’t know, i’ve never tried. Not sure what comes after 100 million...

What’s your second favourite film?

That’s tough, it changes frequently as I’m a big movie fan, but probably Big Lebowski at the moment.

Is there any character in a film you wish you’d played?

I’m gonna say main character from O Brother Where Art Though, cos it’s an amazing film and he’s really cool.

What music is DJ Yoda rocking to at the moment?

A lot of different stuff at the moment, I’m into baltimore breaks, which is basically stuff you know but put to beats, pretty much my formula

Does Dj Yoda ever like to refer to himself in the 3rd person?

No, he would never ever do that

Any new album plans?

Yeah, my Fabriclive CD is out next week, and then it’s the new Cut & Paste, which is country & western themed, then the new artist album, so it’s a busy time in the studio. With the new Cut & Paste, as with the 80’s one, I’ve been prevented from using a lot of tracks due to clearance issues, so I may have to look at ways to get it out there as it is.

Any special guests you’re looking to get in for the new album?

To be honest, there’s gonna be more uptempo instrumental stuff on this one, my inspiration has shifted from hip hop in recent years more to dubstep, Baltimore, grime and more, as these have the energy that i used to find in hip hop, but it’s too commercial these days and its lost what I loved. And when I do use people it’s going to be focussed on more up and coming artists.

Anyone in particular?

I’m keeping it under my hat for now...

Who’s your all time favourite MC?

Biz Markie, for the humour and personality.

Didn’t Big Daddy Kane write a lot of his lyrics?

Yeah, but it’s the charisma and personality that Biz brings to table which make him great. It’s like scratching, you don’t have to be the most technical to be good.

Any special surprises on the tour?

All in the visuals, crazy excklusive stuff, I don’t want to give too much away at the moment though...

What do you think of the leeds scene?

There are some good venues to play, The Fav, The Wardrobe, and there’s a good hip hop history, Dan Greenpeace is from these parts and he’s been a great influence on my career.

Any final messages?

Come down for Magic Cinema, you’re gonna see some crazy shit.

What can you count to?

haha. i hope you went '100 million and one' and then stuck your tongue into your chin and went urrrrggrgrh.

What can you count to?

haha. i hope you went '100 million and one' and then stuck your tongue into your chin and went urrrrggrgrh.

it was a phone interview so i pointed out to him that it was 100 million and one, and just thought to myself "wot a spacka"

seriously though he's a fucking safe guy and doing the interview was a good laugh