Jon: my first mpc beat loop and scratch freestyle

Jon

http://www.zshare.net/audio/6286292ab97ec5/

I made my first beat loop using the mpc tonight and just recorded a quick freestyle over the top. I haven't quite worked out how to link different sections on the mpc yet (my task for tommorow) but have a chorus melody ready and alternate drum variations for when i've figured it out.

comments appreciated. i think the snares a bit too high in the mix

If by linking different sections on the MPC (I am assuming you have an MPC2000XL judging from your avatar picture) you mean linking different sequences, try going to the option labeled "SONG," it's one of the blue buttons on the left side. You can tell it to play which sequences after or before other sequenes to make an entire song. If that's not it, sorry I'm no help.

Yea this is really nice. Did you get the bumpiness of the drums using the swing quantize thing? I've been making beats in cubase but its hard getting the drums to sound so funky. Quantizing always fucks em up.

i had a quantize set 32(3) and just programmed them in manually, first the snare and bass drum and then i tapped in the hats and then added a note repeat effect on the hats on 16ths i think. then the melody is just basic chopping and triggering. it's pretty simple really :)

thanks for everyone's responses!

ye nice beat mate and cuts are tight too

so are you layering the beat

rather than recording the drums live?

I do kick and snare live then do the hats live, i'm not good enough to do hats as well at the moment. technically its layering but i try and do as much live as posssible

thats nice man, i'd say rather than the snare being too loud as such, the sample sounds a bit quiet compared to the drums, but i'm in no way an expert. get a bit of bass on there and it'll be wicked!

and the cuts are super cute, good work!

snare a tad loud and the sample is quiet. Nice cuts. I should be getting an MPC 2000 non XL soon.

thanks for the comments, i've since reedited the beat. the 2000 is ace, my friend jack has the 2000xl and i used it a lot during a recent gig with him, it's a dope machine. the 2000xl is the model i've always wanted but i was recommended to save a bit more money together and opt for the 2500 instead just for the extra features it has.

oh yeah the 2500 without a doubt is much nicer and is able to process certain things much quicker than than the ancient 2000. The whole chop chop and all that looks like a convenient feature, but i'm getting it as a hand me down from a good friend of mine, so i can't complain. I'm sure once I'm comfortable with the 2000 I'm going to want a 2500 though, so i should start a piggy bank sometime soon.

oh yeah the 2500 without a doubt is much nicer and is able to process certain things much quicker than than the ancient 2000. The whole chop chop and all that looks like a convenient feature, but i'm getting it as a hand me down from a good friend of mine, so i can't complain. I'm sure once I'm comfortable with the 2000 I'm going to want a 2500 though, so i should start a piggy bank sometime soon.

yeh man the chopping capabilities are nuts! and as you state, because it uses flash disk rather than zip disk as it's storage medium processing speeds are much faster. you'll learn dope things on the 2000 though, and no doubt it's a classic. :)

and cheers sketchy!!