juggling rekkids

d00ban

don't know what anyone else thinks, but pesonally i've found that the only tip is to practice, practice, practice, as the more you practice, the more new patterns you will find and the tighter you will get

and make sure you mark up your records...

Yeah mark up your records, and practice looping, tapping and strobing a lot...once you got you loops down to 1/8th notes and fairly tight then you start to find that creating your own patterns comes a lot more easily.

I know it's old and ancient but check this out just incase there's something in there you didn't already know...

http://www.x2k.co.uk/cms/index.php?option=...7&Itemid=27

Flying saucer 3 (onandonrecords) has 1 side full of different skip proof timed beats that I found cool for practise juggles. qbert has done a few new ones to called "break something or other". those are full of skip proof timed beats to.

Nah, the qbert one is Training Wheels...it's a good practice tool, however all the beats are from funk tracks playing at 133bpm (4 beats per revolution), this is quite a bit faster than your avarage hip hop record and as a result may not be the easiest thing to practice with for a beginner, probably worth having a couple of copies kicking about though anyway.

personally I'd suggest a good premier beat to practice on, or something that's fairly straight 80-90 bpm, and put it on -8 to start...

the skipless loops are alright, but they're not completely practical, as the bpm's are either like 66 bpm, or 133... it's hard to do a lot of basic breakdowns/fast tripling etc at those speeds... you could try and find a 100 bpm beat (such as one thing by amerie, and prolly many others), so you can put 3 stickers, and each one will always correspond to a downbeat, although switching from kick to snare each rotation

practice looping first, then tapping, then strobing (even though some peeps think it's old school, you have to get it down tight, it'll help in the long run), and as soon as you get that stuff solid, try doing some mista sinista and rob swift routines, or other pre-1998 routines, after that, you're off

• 1 month later...
yo sorry to bring this back but ive heard stuff about doubling and tripling with records and i dont really know what that is can someone explain it to me pleasE?

:d

When you 'double-up' on a record - you have one of your records one beat, or two beats either in front or behind the record that's playing - you then cut between the two with the crossfader to get

For example, If we have a record with a vocal that goes '1, 2, 3, 4' (let's say the the vocals match the four beats of a bar), and you were to double up by having the second record one beat in front, it would sound like '1, 2, ,2, 3, 3, 4, 4,'

I double up on a Crooklyn Clan track on this video:

Hope that's of some help...I'm usually quite crap at explaining things!

yo sorry to bring this back but ive heard stuff about doubling and tripling with records and i dont really know what that is can someone explain it to me pleasE?

:d

basically it's doubling or tripling up on any hit or note, so playing it 2 or 3 times in a row... cable's doubling in like a trick mix, but you can also double up on a snare and then backspin to do it in like a juggle context, as for tripling, look at 75% of all akakabe patterns, lolll

like at 2:11 in this vid he starts tripling in a chase http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiWsjKs5ZOM

i think x2k's site has got some stuff on it...

Fucking right, it's the greatest! Actually it's pretty shit but I made the decision last night to finally do something new with it so I will be updating it and generally betterising it over the next couple of months.

Guest Cliff Clavin

Woah there tonto, getting a bit carried away aren't you?

If anyone should get an OBE it should be me for my contributions to the US postal service.

Plus, A Welshman getting an OBE for betterising the English language? I don't think queenie will go for that somehow.