Laptop-Buying

Bubba

So my laptop took a dive last night...and seems as if it's finally drowned. Been with me for a long time though...five years to be precise. Was looking into buying a new one anyways...I think my laptop may have got a bit pissed off cuz of it...and decided to die.

Sooooooooooo...I'm looking at either a Macbook pro or something that's equivalently powerful...

Views would be appreciated on how Mac is these days, how Lenovo does, what VAIO's are like etc...

All input would really be appreciated.

pee.z

Oliver

word. if u want logic or other mac only programs then obviously go for mac, but imo get a windows based laptop if u just want to run windows on it. i have found my macbook (just the regular one) is perfect for serato/logic etc. I can run serato and record the ouput in logicon the same laptop with no loss of quality.

Hm, thanks.

I would need the laptop for following functions:

a) Serato

b) Music production when on holliday (which is never, sadly)

c) Regular Email, internet etc.

d) Writing my thesis...so I want a fucking stable machine, that won't crash on me and cause massive distress!!!!

Am not specifically hooked to Logic or any mac-specific programmes. Just love the design and find that they're built like tanks. I need a laptop that holds for ever and that has a battery that can equal mac's...

Levono's a no go?

Thanks for the input.

pee.z

d) Writing my thesis...so I want a fucking stable machine, that won't crash on me and cause massive distress!!!!

PS, I got a lenovo, seems decent after I'd uninstalled all the shit services which come installed whenever you buy any laptop...I was mildly dissappointed with the build quality though, I had hoped it would be a bit better (keys and touchpad buttons are what I'm really referring too) I think my Mum's Acer's keys are better. Then again it was one of the cheaper lenovo ones not a posh expensive one which I guess are probably better (titainum and shit). Lenovo=IBM which as far as I know are generally known for being quite good.

Yeah...i was thinking that if I go lenovo then it's gota be one of their better thinkpads...aka ibm's thinkpads.

Just really don't know what to do. When it gets down to sturdiness I know mac is like waaaaay ahead of the rest...and I have no experience with VAIO...so I beg my pardon for any concerns...

pee.z blud

PS: Yeah the typewriter's right up my alley...no fucking delete buttons and I'm dead.

We got a deal with Dell, so that our employes get an extra rabatt. If ever you want a Dell we can have a look what they have to offer. Not sure tough if Dell laptop are good overall...

Ps: I wrote you a pm on the snatch a long time ago ;-)

Jeez, let me check that out...don't think I've ever checked my PMs there. Sorry bout that.

Am currently working tons in St. Gallen. Move back to Zurich this weekend. Will see if I ever get round to coming to biel. You got that scratchbox yet?

On topic though: I don't think Dell Laptop's are the burner...as much as I know they build good PCs and that's just about it...

I'm still in a real clinch though...suprisingly enough still no views on macs...

pee.z

the build quality, ergonomics and screen of the macbook are the best i have ever encountered in a laptop. funnily enough i'm less keen on the macbook pro, it doesn't feel as nice to me- the screen is matt finished which makes it look a bit dull in comparison to the macbook (although important for graphic design), and i don't like the keyboard nearly as much. the trackpad is just as good though. the macbook pro feels a little more 'corporate' to me, if that makes sense.

all of the things you mention can be done equally well on os x and windows, and it's pretty much a matter of preference. vista is imo a massive improvement on xp when it comes to a no fuss system, and includes much of what os x gained that simple but powerful reputation for, and some things better.

with a laptop the most important thing is that you actually like the feel of it, imo, so nip on down to a computer shop and try out a vaio- the ones i've used have been very well built but still not as nice as macbooks imo. and i agree with liam- the whole 'yeah you can run windows on it as well' argument is just nerdspeak because who actually wants to use two operating systems? however if you really really like the macbook design, running windows on it is smooth as hell. you can probably find a *very* nice pc laptop for the same money as the macbook, but to be honest the macbook isn't *that* much more expensive than an equivalent pc laptop and if you think the extra ton or so is worth the investment in your next however many years of laptop usage then that's all that matters right?

Thanks mate. I really appreciate the input.

I kinda get where you're coming from. I love the feel of my old laptop...enough space for my wrists by the keyboard etc. ...

I'll see what I'ma come up with...my laptop has actually decided to semi-come back to life again...must've been some fuse that's a bit tacky...oh well I need a new laptop soon anyways.

thanks for the info tho...

pee.z