finally got ssl

for £200, brand new unopened :)

sorted.

first job, import superseal and take her for a burn

http://www.dubse7en.co.uk/dubse7enmusic/sslfirstuse.mp3

not too bad considering it's fresh out the box with no adjustment

now to figure out how to use the blasted thing, looks a bit complicated....

@steve: a mate of mine who bought a shit load of dj gear, then decided he couldn't be arsed with it, so he sold it all, so i took the ssl off his hands

@topher: nothing special.

Compaq presario 2600

intel celeron 2.6

512 ram

40gb hdd

XP Pro sp2 lightly tweaked with eyecandy turned off.

whilst having a brief play about i noticed it couldn't handle fast chirps all that well compared to FS. however, i've not done any tweaking to the settings yet, partly cos i don't know what anything does yet, lol

honest comparison time.

FS:

Sound quality is slightly better

much better interface, can see cue points better, waveform is less cluttered

crates and playlists are separate, in ssl there are just crates (to my knowledge)

Key correction is far better sounding when slowed down, although ssl sounds better when you scratch with the keycorrect on.

seems less rescource hungry, can run on lowest latency

at the moment it performs better on the cut, but once tweaked i think SSL will out do it.

SSL

cueing and needle dropping is better, eg leaving the needle over a sample on fs doesn't work so well unless you constantly baby scratch so it can read the timecode.

vinyl feels much better made.

importing tracks by dragging and dropping through explorer is a good idea.

i'm a long time FS user so i'm obviously gonna prefer the FS interface cos i know it back to front, but i think, with time i could learn to like this. ;)

honest comparison time.

FS:

Sound quality is slightly better

much better interface, can see cue points better, waveform is less cluttered

crates and playlists are separate, in ssl there are just crates (to my knowledge)

Key correction is far better sounding when slowed down, although ssl sounds better when you scratch with the keycorrect on.

seems less rescource hungry, can run on lowest latency

at the moment it performs better on the cut, but once tweaked i think SSL will out do it.

SSL

cueing and needle dropping is better, eg leaving the needle over a sample on fs doesn't work so well unless you constantly baby scratch so it can read the timecode.

vinyl feels much better made.

importing tracks by dragging and dropping through explorer is a good idea.

i'm a long time FS user so i'm obviously gonna prefer the FS interface cos i know it back to front, but i think, with time i could learn to like this. ;)

2 questions?

1) Can I assume you are comparing with FS 2

2) Since FS is obviously so much better can I have you SSL? :d

2) no. no you can't :p

Cunt. While we're on the subject of these vinyl control systems I got a question...can you set cue points in the mp3 files....I'm guessing you can so you can jump around to pre-selected points in the tracks but my question is what happens to the record marker...does it reset at the cue point, continue from the place it's already at, end up in the same place as if the record had played through to that point or something else????

Can't believe you've deserted me Dub.

On the other hand, seeing as there's no longer any updates being made for (non Traktor DJS) Final Scratch it's probably a wise decision.

Cunt. While we're on the subject of these vinyl control systems I got a question...can you set cue points in the mp3 files....I'm guessing you can so you can jump around to pre-selected points in the tracks but my question is what happens to the record marker...does it reset at the cue point, continue from the place it's already at, end up in the same place as if the record had played through to that point or something else????

yeah you can set 5 per track, set the play mode to relative and you can jump straight to them too. as for the marker i don't know, will have a check

@infinite, will still be using FS2 too mate. my FS2.0.3 works absolutely spot on.

the marker resets to 12 o'clock when you jump to a cue point