The end of torrent sites?

Steve

It'll still be around, just not as visible as it is now.

As long as suprnova keeps mirroring it's site, it will still be around. Also, suprnova doesn't actuaslly have a tracker, does it? The article says they are just going for the tracker sites for now.

Youceff wasn't a lot different from Nova. You could upload torrents hosted by other trackers, which is just what you do with Suprnova. Suprnova only works if the central server provides the data for the other mirrors - If that's gone then the mirrors are also dead.

As far as the law stands, torrent files themselves are legal (at the moment), but the fact that torrent sites are getting raided is enough to put off other sites from continuing.

We had Napster, Audiogalaxy, Kazaa (Lite) and BitTorrent. I'd say the next step is encrypted P2Ps. They already exist but because torrents are so widespread, the take up is slow. The main failure of BitTorrent is your IP is clearly visible at all times too. If it all goes pear shaped and Suprnova etc. disappears, there's no doubt something will take it's place.

• 2 weeks later...

me too, i'v treid e-mule but it's so complicated lol, plus i like the quality of the sound files on soul seek, the only 2 problems with it for me are, 1.) not a ton of people, there is a good amount but it's not as big as say naptser or kazaa once was 2.) i find it hard to search for specific songs witht he search it uses, could just be i'm retarded but if i type din likt 50 cent - Disco inferno it wouldn't ifnd anything and thats witht he connection up

According to the Soulseek forums, searching for specific songs has been disabled for some reason. I always find the searches bring crap results anyway. I can browse a users files and see stuff I want (which they are clearly sharing with everyone) but when I search for the same files, I get no results. Soulseek needs multi-source downloads too.

Guest Deeswift
me too, i'v treid e-mule but it's so complicated lol, plus i like the quality of the sound files on soul seek, the only 2 problems with it for me are, 1.) not  a ton of people, there is a good amount but it's not as big as say naptser or kazaa once was 2.) i find it hard to search for specific songs witht he search it uses, could just be i'm retarded but if i type din likt 50 cent - Disco inferno it wouldn't ifnd anything and thats witht he connection up

The quality of sound files is higher on eMule, most definately. Search for archives only and you'll find loads of high quality rips in FLAC, mpc, LAME & EAC, often with high quality artwork, etc. Soulseek is useless these days.

eMule Plus is a good client, btw. Especially optimized for AMD systems too.

emule rulez!! it is permanently running on my system. i get all my albums and comedy shows off it...

Audiogalaxy was amazing back in the day.

werd. there were some real gems on that, stuff i'd never thought i'd get hold of was on there....