my ttx is running slow

i've just noticed that my ttx is running about .8% slow across the entire +/-50% range, even with quartz lock on, on all three speeds. I'm sure it hasn't always done it but i've only just noticed...

it's one problem after another with these ttxs... granted they're the og ones with no vents or adjustable torque, but as soon as i get a tiny bit of cash together i'm fixing em up (one is in its box with a blown motor ic at the moment, i haven't even had a mix in months apart from at gigs and houseparties) and getting rid. think i'll go for pdx2000mk2s... or i might even bite the bullet and get technics and live with the small pitch adjustment.

anyway is this a known problem?

how do you know it's running slower? are the strobe dots moving? first time i've heard of such problem..

btw, the one with the blown motor could just be a over heated chip inside the turntable. apparently there are two different chips that can cause problems and one could be bypassed with a little bit of soldering, the other needs to be replaced but it's fairly cheap to get the replacement chip(but i forgot where to get it). if you're lucky it may just be the one that needs to be bypassed.

how do you know it's running slower?

I'm going to guess vinyl control is providing the indication here. And he knows about the chip (that's the IC he refers to in the post)

Hassle Numark. These are known issues; in essence manufacturing defects. They really ought to be obliged to repair them out of warranty for this reason -it can't hurt to try anyway. Seems like there is no end to these Numark TT issues, such a shame.

My Techs will break double figures soon :d I honestly can't rate any feature a turntable has over the Tech as highly as the reliability. Seeing as you've had TT issues I'm sure you'll appreciate the build all the more.

If you want an accurate reading of your TTX's 0%, why not make a pattern in photoshop and print it out, then view it under any household lightbulb (50Hz strobe). A bit of simple math and you should be able to do it no sweat. Always good to have a second opinion.

saul gut cheers, yeah i've already replaced a chip in one once, it's a ballache because it's got loads of legs and heat's supposedly what conks it out in the first place.

the strobe lines on the platter move a bit and scratchlive wavers it between -.7 and -.8 (constantly, at least). if i speed it up til the strobe makes the line on the platter appear still, sure enough scratchlive reads 0, so it's not a problem with the platter i'd never noticed.

unfortunately, i got in touch with numark and their response was basically 'fuck you'. they couldn't care less to be honest, i think basically because legally they don't have to. ethically, it's a good one, because we're increasingly moving into a society where everything is disposable and nothing's built to last- it seems odd to me that people drop hundreds of pounds on something they expect to have to replace within 5 years purely because it wears itself out, and don't complain when they do... and i think there's a vicious circle of 'get what you pay for' culture and manufacturers actually using cheap parts because people actually factor breakdowns in as part and parcel of buying something now. shame...

the only things i don't like about the tech are the little bit of pitch between 33 and 45 you can't get at and the actual feel of them compared to a deck with straight arm and slightly torquier platter (although the 3.7-4.5 are almost too much to cut with sometimes). i may go for a pair. it'd be great if scratchlive could alter the pitch based on a little sum, so +8 on the tech actually pushes it to +whatever you like through the software...

Does Serato not offer a custom pitch range? DJDecks does that right off the bat. Weird, I always assumed it would. It's not exactly the hardest of functions to impliment, I'm quite shocked if it's not there in an obvious form. Hmmmmm

That's terrible about Numark's attitude. The thing is, although companies regularly screw you over on '12 month warranty' periods, the truth is that this isn't a legal cut-off point, and actually products should last a 'reasonable length of time', which is (neccisarily) quite vague, but should cover you in the event of any manufacturing defect. Given that this problem is suffered by so many TTX and TT500 owners, plus Numark have revised their designs to accomidate the problem, I'd say you have a strong case. You might be fucked because of the DIY fix you did previously, but on a more widespread level it would be very nice if Numark did something about it. Considering that it's a trivial fix on their flagship turntable, I feel they've missed an opportunity to support their users and build a real sense that they care for the DJ community. In the automotive industry, recalls are actually a recognised technique of establishing brand loyalty, and some companies have even been known to hold 'recall parties'.

nah, ssl doesn't do anything like that unfortunately... i didn't think it'd be too hard to do and it'd be a really handy feature.

from what i understand, the 'reasonable operating time' period has been precedented at least 2 years for consumer electronics. although 'consumer electronics' is a pretty wide area, so i think there's room to have at it for expensive/technical products. if your kettle goes after 2 years you've had it, for instance, but a brand new hdtv ought to outlast it.

i might email them again- the last time i emailed and called and they point blank refused to do anything, although they did tell me the part that had probably gone wrong which i thought was quite funny.

fuck numark they always seem to disappoint. I will never buy a product made by them. I know their main product designer, he's a friend of mine. Fortunately he's not responsible for choosing the electronics used in their products or else I'd kick his ass for releasing unreliable merchandise.