LORN - GRIEF MACHINE (12", 2007)

Lorn

After much time now, my 12" scratch record is finally about to be released...

Grief Machine Sampler

<form action="https://checkout.google.com/cws/v2/Merchant/944421219931588/checkout" id="BB_BuyButtonForm" method="post" name="BB_BuyButtonForm">
<table cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0" width="1%">
	<tr>
		<td align="right" width="1%">
			<select name="buyButtonCart">
				<option value="PD94bWwgdmVyc2lvbj0iMS4wIiBlbmNvZGluZz0iVVRGLTgiPz4NCjxjaGVja291dC1zaG9wcGlu
Zy1jYXJ0IHhtbG5zPSJodHRwOi8vY2hlY2tvdXQuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS9zY2hlbWEvMiI+DQogIDxzaG9w
c
GluZy1jYXJ0Pg0KICAgIDxpdGVtcz4NCiAgICAgIDxpdGVtPg0KICAgICAgICA8aXRlbS1uYW1lPjJ4I
E
xPUk46IEdSSUVGIE1BQ0hJTkUgKDEyIiwgMjAwNykgUFJFLU9SREVSPC9pdGVtLW5hbWU+DQogICAgIC
A
gIDxxdWFudGl0eT4xPC9xdWFudGl0eT4NCiAgICAgICAgPHVuaXQtcHJpY2UgY3VycmVuY3k9IlVTRCI
+
MjUuMDwvdW5pdC1wcmljZT4NCiAgICAgICAgPGl0ZW0tZGVzY3JpcHRpb24+MnggY29waWVzIG9mIExv
c
m4ncyAiR3JpZWYgTWFjaGluZSIgMTIiIHNjcmF0Y2gtcmVjb3JkLiBTdXBlciBsaW1pdGVkIEV1cm9wZ
W
FuIHJlbGVhc2UuIFNoaXBzIGF0IHRoZSBlbmQgb2YgSnVuZS4gIFVTLXNoaXBwaW5nIGluY2x1ZGVkLj
w
vaXRlbS1kZXNjcmlwdGlvbj4NCiAgICAgIDwvaXRlbT4NCiAgICA8L2l0ZW1zPg0KICA8L3Nob3BwaW5
n
LWNhcnQ+DQogIDxjaGVja291dC1mbG93LXN1cHBvcnQ+DQogICAgPG1lcmNoYW50LWNoZWNrb3V0LWZs
b
3ctc3VwcG9ydCAvPg0KICA8L2NoZWNrb3V0LWZsb3ctc3VwcG9ydD4NCjwvY2hlY2tvdXQtc2hvcHBpb
m
ctY2FydD4NCg0K//separator//UXi8ZvRcbMRJsjMqBrJgbBjN3J8=">$25.00 - 2x LORN: GRIEF MACHINE (12", 2007) PRE-ORDER</option>
				<option value="PD94bWwgdmVyc2lvbj0iMS4wIiBlbmNvZGluZz0iVVRGLTgiPz4NCjxjaGVja291dC1zaG9wcGlu
Zy1jYXJ0IHhtbG5zPSJodHRwOi8vY2hlY2tvdXQuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS9zY2hlbWEvMiI+DQogIDxzaG9w
c
GluZy1jYXJ0Pg0KICAgIDxpdGVtcz4NCiAgICAgIDxpdGVtPg0KICAgICAgICA8aXRlbS1uYW1lPjF4I
E
xPUk46IEdSSUVGIE1BQ0hJTkUgKDEyIiwgMjAwNykgUFJFLU9SREVSPC9pdGVtLW5hbWU+DQogICAgIC
A
gIDxxdWFudGl0eT4xPC9xdWFudGl0eT4NCiAgICAgICAgPHVuaXQtcHJpY2UgY3VycmVuY3k9IlVTRCI
+
MTIuNTwvdW5pdC1wcmljZT4NCiAgICAgICAgPGl0ZW0tZGVzY3JpcHRpb24+MXggY29weSBvZiBMb3Ju
J
3MgIkdyaWVmIE1hY2hpbmUiIDEyIiBzY3JhdGNoLXJlY29yZC4gU3VwZXIgbGltaXRlZCBFdXJvcGVhb
i
ByZWxlYXNlLiBTaGlwcyBhdCB0aGUgZW5kIG9mIEp1bmUuICBVUy1zaGlwcGluZyBpbmNsdWRlZC48L2
l
0ZW0tZGVzY3JpcHRpb24+DQogICAgICA8L2l0ZW0+DQogICAgPC9pdGVtcz4NCiAgPC9zaG9wcGluZy1
j
YXJ0Pg0KICA8Y2hlY2tvdXQtZmxvdy1zdXBwb3J0Pg0KICAgIDxtZXJjaGFudC1jaGVja291dC1mbG93
L
XN1cHBvcnQgLz4NCiAgPC9jaGVja291dC1mbG93LXN1cHBvcnQ+DQo8L2NoZWNrb3V0LXNob3BwaW5nL
W
NhcnQ+DQoNCg==//separator//P3CyNy1T6pMl8vHX1H5GNmbEwY8=">$12.50 - 1x LORN: GRIEF MACHINE (12", 2007) PRE-ORDER</option>
			</select>
		</td>
		<td align="left" width="1%">
			<input alt="" src="https://checkout.google.com/buttons/buy.gif?merchant_id=944421219931588&w=117&h=48&style=trans&variant=text&loc=en_US" type="image"/>
		</td>
	</tr>
</table>
</form>

Review:

LORN « GRIEF MACHINE »

We’ve been waiting years for this record. Everybody downloads and scratches over Lorn’s beats. The young 20-year old producer is already a legend. He has influenced a number of his elders and is now flying far above all other international scratch-beat makers. He announced at least 10 times within 2 years that he was releasing a scratch record. He changed the title, changed the cover, changed his label and all went on and on. He could have realized ten good records, it is certain. But in the end he chose French label VG Records

to offer us a perfect first opus. 6 beats, 6 perfections. Each beat is quite distinct from the others - the mix of which offer both distracting and suprising alternatives. You can let yourself rock to them without even scratching

But what makes GRIEF MACHINE so different from a classic break is the emotion that comes out of it. All the excellence of Lorn lies in his ability to create a perfect and

cold rhythm, to write a soft and icy melody, the whole with a sonority that you immediately

recognize. Lorn’s instrumental parts all contain such a captivating groove for scratch use, but here he reaches new heights: « Power trip » and « Forecast » are future hits, « Hollow Man » and « Requiem » go further in research of new phases.

Lorn is a tortured, dark and generous character. You may wonder where he lives, with whom

he eats, how many hours he works a day… One wonders whether he’s human. In any case he is a genius.

Above of all Grief Machine is a beats record for training, but you’ll also find skip -proof scratch sentences, loops to sample and other sound delirium of the young American. One could say it’s the successor to Get’em by Toad Style. But it’s hard to compare. It’s just fucking Next Level.

GRIEF MACHINE is a classic. It’s obvious. And you’re not close to be fed up with it: you

can scratch on it hours and hours, listen to it whilst having sex or committing an

awful murder. Keep it preciously and listen to it again on the day of your death to leave in peace.

Le Jad.

Thanks y'all. Lase I just use the built in soundcard that my G5 has - nothing special at all. I've spent a lot of time learning how to get my shit to really bump, knock, crack, etc and it doesn't really matter what kind of soundcard you use. Just have to control your EQ and compression correctly. Every channel I use on a beat is compressed and tweaked individually, and certain channels are linked together and compressed as a pair.. I then listen to the relationship between all parts and adjust compression/eq/reverb to taste. Careful with it, though, because your shit will easily become padded/bloated if you don't eq it before and after.

That´s fucking dope man!! But didn´t you want to name the record "Doppelgänger"??

Thanks man, but this is a completely different record. I decided not to put out Doppelganger

That´s fucking dope man!! But didn´t you want to name the record "Doppelgänger"??

Thanks man, but this is a completely different record. I decided not to put out Doppelganger

Oh, really? Man, you must have lotsa music to put out! :d

Every set I do maxes the CPU pretty much. The 410 Firewire isn't hot I'm sure of it. Really need to join you with a Duel Core like. I'm a 1.8 iMac as you know. I'm really limited with how many things I can drag into my tracks. cos shit just starts glitching out on me 80 to 100% CPU. I bounce things down sometimes but that really limits doing changes on the fly, you've got to really be looking ahead with what you want to do n it's just a big hassle. Thanks man, n soz for thread hijacking.

Not sure what sequencer you're using or if you're doing this already but for mixing you can set your audio buffer to maximum - your latency will be quite big but you won't notice if you're just playing back. Freezing effects onto tracks you're happy with can help as well.