Top 10 worst MCs

Dan

taken from scratchlive.net

Top 10 Worst of the Best MCs of All Time

by Brian Gaffey aka DJ BRI-G

bumsquaddjz.com

I know I’m gonna catch some hate for this list. Over the years there have been several rappers who, either through great beat selection or crossover popularity have gotten way too much credit. Below is the list of the Top 10 Worst Famous Rappers of All Time. While there may be worse rappers than the guys on this list, they aren’t nearly the stars that these MCs are. Think of this as the worst of the best.

Greg Nice

Hands down, Greg Nice is the worst famous rapper of all time. While Smooth B isn’t exactly Rakim either, he pretty much held down the lyrical side of Nice & Smooth. Greg Nice might have some of the worst rhymes in the history of rap music. “Greg Nice, Greg N-I-C-E, Droppin dem basso ah oui oui, Rock for a fee not for free, Maybe I’ll do it for charity, Now my employer or my employee, Is makin Greg N-I-C-E very M-A-D.” Nobody’s ever listened to a Greg Nice verse and said to themselves, “Damn, Greg be spittin some straight heat!!”.

Mike Jones

If Greg Nice is the #1, Mike Jones is #1B. I don’t know anybody who’s been able to rock a cheesy gimmick for longer except Gilligan. Mike Jones sounds like a rapping muppet with the same lyrical ability of my 7 year old cousin. You should not be allowed to say your name 30 times and call it a record. Who? I don’t fucking care.

Guru

Guru is the classic example of how great production and a great voice can make up for a lack of lyrical ability. Guru has spit some of the wackest verses over some of the most classic beats ever. You understand how truly wack Guru is when he’s on his own, away from the safety net that is DJ Premier. For proof, check out any one of the 39 Jazzmatazz albums. Can you honestly imagine if Premier partnered with a top level rapper to form Gangstar instead of carrying Guru for 15 years. While obviously Gangstar material is still classic Hip Hop to the highest level, could you imagine if he had partnered with a guy like say Kool G Rap?

Diddy

Do me a favor and go back and listen to No Way Out and I dare you to get through one Puff verse without cringing. Puff’s so bad that even with other people writing his shit for him, it comes out terrible. His newest album would be a classic just based on the production and the melodies. One problem: Puff’s flow is atrocious.

Noreaga

We can’t bring up the Noreaga from the classic album War Report, when Tragedy Khadafi and Capone were writing his lyrics. When we can bring up the days since then, when he became N.O.R.E., he’s had some of the classic worst lines in rap history. “I get head and I don’t even iron my pants.” “I only rock jord-ons, I can’t stand pip-ons.” “You a frizzeak always see you in the strizzeet, walkin walkin til you get widdeak”. Nore’s swagger and flow have definitely allowed him to maintain a steady career thoughout the years and when you mix that in with some classic production from the likes of the Neptunes and Marley Marl, you get a rap superstar.

Baby

CEO’s shouldn’t rap, even if they’re CEO’s in the rap industry. I don’t think Bill Gates goes down to the factory and helps package up copies of Office 2007 and Baby shouldn’t pick up the mic. We know your rich, you got diamonds in your mouth, and you drive nice cars. Thanks. I don’t need to hear an entire album where you repeat those 3 facts over 16 tracks.

Pharrell

Another case of a producer who thinks he can rap. All too often producers feel that they need to crack the mic, and the results are often horrendous. While Manny Fresh might be the worst producer/rapper, he doesn’t have nearly the profile that Pharrell has. I understood who truly bad Pharrell was as a rapper when I listened to him ruin some classic beats on his mixtape, This guy took some of the greatest beats of all time and spit some of the worst nursery rhyme, cat in the hat, bars in history. The thing about bad rappers is that they run out of content quickly and Pharrell falls right into that realm. You get real sick of hearing about clothes, sneakers, and skateboards real quick, especially from a guy who’s not lyrical enough to flip it in different ways.

Erick Sermon

The E-R-I-C-K is a great producer, he’s a terrible rapper. He might have carried EPMD on the beat side of things, but when it came to picking up the mic, E. Sermon spit a lot of utter doo doo.

Juelz Santana

Cam’ron is a good rapper who doesn’t try and ends up spittin’ some terrible shit. Juelz is a bad rapper who doesn’t try and ends up spittin’ some terrible shit. Juelz is very lucky to be affiliated with Dipset and have solid business people overlooking his career otherwise he’d be hanging out with the Jae Mills and Graft of overhyped New York rappers.

U-God

Wu Tang consists of 9 members and 47 other guys who happen to randomly show up on their albums. In the Wu Tang hierarchy of lyrical ability, U-God is somewhere behind Killa-army. U-God’s had one memorable verse in the dozen years of Wu Tang existence. One verse on Triumph, that’s it.

One,

Brian Gaffey aka DJ BRI-G

BGaffey187@aol.com

www.myspace.com

i wouldn't have put guru up there, altho jazzmatazz 4 is utter shite

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would have added kanye west

you took the words right outa my mouth!

Yup... He's like "if I add and 'errr' syllable to every word then that makes it rhyme, right?"

eminem on the list of the very worst???? .....my son are u serious?

The thread title says "Top 10 worst MCs", but the article is titled "Top 10 Worst of the Best MCs of All Time". Either way, I don't think Eminem belongs in there.

and chamillionaire,nelly etc

yeah and 50 cent, the game, eminem. could become a very long list!

Another kid who judges the quality of music by sales volume.

How can you POSSIBLY rate The Game as 1 of the top 10 WORST lyricists out there??? Seriously, do you even listen to rap or do you just read rap magazines? I can understand if you don't like his content, but The Game is one of the best mainstream lyricists out there right now. This of course if just my opinion, but I can probably get you 1,000,000 more that would argue that he's not anywhere near the top 10 worst.

Also, Eminem is one of the worst? I'm not a big fan of the guy, but he's a scribble jam champion (or at least finalist), so how can someone that makes it to the final round of the most respected MC battle in the world be amongst the top 10 worst MCs? That's not even mentioning that he was recruited by Dr. Dre, who is one of the biggest perfectionists in the music industry, and the fact that most MCs I know, black and white, have a ton of respect for him as a lyricist.

I usually try to be respectful of other peoples' opinions, but I don't think what you wrote is even an opinion, not your own at least. Maybe its the opinion of another equally jaded music blogger out there, but if you actually listen to rap, I doubt it can be yours.

Needed to put that out on the table...

i think i'm the only person in the world that actually thinks kanye west brings some fun, original and trusay lyrics. i'm cereal.

i agree guru is fucked without premo...

i also agree with eminem being nowhere near this list

Wyclef's pretty wack <<edit i meant to put pras

chamillion...is fucking cold.....one of the best out of the south...pick up anything that he did with who kid or clue or anything with paul wall...

my money's stretched like an athlete @ a track meet/...sick...

my favs thou are

i snap with no kodak and hope you get tha picture/

tell tha truth if a hater get up and approach ya/

would you make tha n*** wish he stayed seated like a sofa

I think the top 10 worst MCs can't possibly be complete without Lloyd Banks. Absolute utter garbage, Fiddy sounds like Biggie in comparison to Lloyd Banks (Although I'd argue fiddy isn't as bad as people say he is).

Also, if any member of dipset belongs on that list its definately Jim Jones, not Juelz. Juelz is someone who I have mixed feelings about like Lil Wayne. Sometimes I think he's complete garbage, but occasionally he impresses just enough to make me think that maybe he's a master in disguise. In any case, the real "secret" behind Dipset is their undeniable swagger that can only be compared to cats like Luda or The Clipse.

Likewise, I have mixed feeling about Kanye (as menioned above). I used to think he was horrible beyond belief, but now I think that if he was on Rhymesayers or Def Jux or some other indy label where people profit from sounding different even if its painful to the ears, everyone would be on his nuts like "This dude Kanye is crazy, his flow is totaly different." At the very least, Kanye's flow is different from anyone else's and he does say some pretty funny/memorable/insightful things at times.

yeah and 50 cent, the game, eminem. could become a very long list!

Another kid who judges the quality of music by sales volume.

How can you POSSIBLY rate The Game as 1 of the top 10 WORST lyricists out there??? Seriously, do you even listen to rap or do you just read rap magazines? I can understand if you don't like his content, but The Game is one of the best mainstream lyricists out there right now. This of course if just my opinion, but I can probably get you 1,000,000 more that would argue that he's not anywhere near the top 10 worst.

Also, Eminem is one of the worst? I'm not a big fan of the guy, but he's a scribble jam champion (or at least finalist), so how can someone that makes it to the final round of the most respected MC battle in the world be amongst the top 10 worst MCs? That's not even mentioning that he was recruited by Dr. Dre, who is one of the biggest perfectionists in the music industry, and the fact that most MCs I know, black and white, have a ton of respect for him as a lyricist.

I usually try to be respectful of other peoples' opinions, but I don't think what you wrote is even an opinion, not your own at least. Maybe its the opinion of another equally jaded music blogger out there, but if you actually listen to rap, I doubt it can be yours.

Needed to put that out on the table...

sorry but LOL, sales volume who gives a shit about sales volume? to be honest i don't listen to that much rap now as 95% is stale and boring.

He's kinda like busta-- started off not too bad byt the quality got worse with every album.... but built that namebrand up, booooyyyyyyyyy

I agree there are rappers that get worse over time, but there are others that were simply never good i.e. Lloyd Banks, Jim Jones, Diddy, etc.

If you're making a list of worst rappers, I think there's more than enough to choose from without picking guys that were once good, nahmean?