what other genres do you guys spin

kiqbaq

do you guys spin any other genres or music?or spin at all? i know some of you guys just scratch

well today i spun some of my trance records which i havent spun in a realllly long time.. and daaaamn i got goosebumps.. it was crazy.. i dont think i ever get that same feeling with hip hop/rnb.. must be the genre i guess

i also like a bit of . . . . um . . . skate rock?

blink 182, sum 41, system of a down,

i've even been known to listen to the misfits, gwar, slipknot, mushroomhead

sometimes i like old rave too. the late 80's early nineties stuff

i also like a bit of . . . . um . . .  skate rock?

Word! I like Slipknot too. Not really my music, but I like the voice of the frontman. And they got some sick masks!

only spin hiphop really, though if i had the funds i would spin a lot of DnB, jazz, funk and blues and pretty much anything that i like.

i listen to a lot of random stuff though, DJ sets, hiphop, funk, blues, jazz, bits of reggae and dub, DnB etc the list goes on...

Hip-hop mainly for me too. And maybe a bit of downbeat or trip-hop.

I play other stuff when the need arises though. I've got friends who play other genres of music, and I've been known to jump on and mix a few tracks with them when they're playing out.

It's true about trance / techno / elcetronica having a different buzz than hip-hop, when it comes to mixing. I think it's because those genres of music are such that they are conducive to straight up long mixing / blending.

Guest Deeswift

Am I the only one here that doesn't listen to hip hop?

I listen to instrumental fusion/progressive/jazz/rock mainly. I don't spin anything on turntables, just scratch.

I listen to instrumental fusion/progressive/jazz/rock mainly. I don't spin anything on turntables, just scratch.

seems like it! i guess most people who scratch listen to hiphop because that's where they first heard scratching in tracks...

I don't listen to hip-hop all the time!

To be honest, most of the stuff I listen to is a bit 'middle-aged'. Shit, I have Jazz FM piped in to my room at work... (not my choice, I might add). They play some stuff I like though, like old soul and RnB. They're thrashing Jamie Cullum at the moment though. It's funny that even these radio stations seem to adopt a Top 40 mentality and just have certain stuff on high rotate - especially when they're called 'Jazz' FM and could play sooo many more cool back catalogue stuff.

But anyway, Kiqbaq's question was 'What other genre do you guys spin'...so for me it's hip-hop. And lots of scratching.

Guest Deeswift

Cool. I just meant hip hop was something I don't listen to ever. I know some of you listen to other stuff but also listen to hip hop too.

i also like a bit of . . . . um . . .  skate rock?

System of a down are dope! You should peep a band called capdown, they're ska metal band, I haven't heard that much of 'em but they were dope from what i've heard.

I listen to a lot of Aphex Twin and Squarepusher. I feel like a bit of a pleb for not being into any more underground electronic stuff, but i've never found anyone that can rock it as good as those guys can.

Listen to absolutely allsorts. Probs does mainly seem to focus more round hip hop, funk, soul, jazz style but do listen to everything.

Dee. Do you like Gong. Been discovering more of there stuff and although don't like it all some is amazing. I heard an album called Gazeus which is awesome.

i also got an old saxon album called "denim and leather"

i like that too. i used to listen that stuff before getting into hiphop in the very early eighties.

some good tracks on that saxon album . . . . !

ummmm... at home i spin hiphop mainly as that's still the bulk of my collection, but in the last few years i've been building a good collection of downtempo, trip hop (god i hate that name) bits like Ninja and Mo Wax stuff as well as just old bits like Art of Noise, and newer bits like the Sketchie stuff, zero 7 et al... then my only other vice when it comes to mixing is dnb, i've been building my collection for a while, and tho i dont play dnb out, unless it s a house party, i fuckin love sitting in my room and just playing dnb for hours, it does relax me in a way nothing else seems to...

Also been trying to build a ragga/raggae/ska collection and just enjoying playing everything together and mashing stuff up, making nice eclectic mixes... also bought tons of rock 12s, 7s and LPs a few months back and been playing with those, loads of classics for near to nothing...

So yeah really if i could i'd buy across the board and really get into eclectiness in my mixes more but the dough aint there yet...

So yeah i forgot when i play out (which is twice a month) its generally hiphop and loads of bits and pieces...

Edited by Kper

Guest Deeswift
Listen to absolutely allsorts. Probs does mainly seem to focus more round hip hop, funk, soul, jazz style but do listen to everything.

Dee. Do you like Gong. Been discovering more of there stuff and although don't like it all some is amazing. I heard an album called Gazeus which is awesome.

DOOD! Gazeus is awesome. That's probably my favourite Gong album (cause it has my man Allan Holdsworth on it!).

Good one.

Guest Deeswift
Saxon? Damn. I remember some kid coming up to me when I was DJing once and asking if I had any Saxon. I'd been playing straight hip hop for over an hour so I think it was kind of unlikely.

ROLF! I was asked to join Saxon once. They wanted me to play guitar for them.

Of course I turned the offer down!

Anyone remember the old Team SNIG thing with all of us as Saxon?

I listen to rock/jazz/soul and some funk, i find alot of funk gay theres just bit's and peices i'll enjoy..

Other than that im a right picky fucker when it comes to it.

Edit: I'm not a dj. :blink:

Anyone remember the old Team SNIG thing with all of us as Saxon?

LOL, yep.

Edited by Deeswift