What decks to buy...............

Steve

I emailed Vestax about it and the guy that replied said he'd never heard of the problem before. I told him I knew of 2 other people that had the same problem (which was I lie, but I knew Grae's deck was fucked too) and he asked me to send my deck in, but I couldn't be arsed. They weren't offering to fix it for free.

i've had my hands on a citronic pd-45, which afaik is almost exactly the same as the hdt-45, as a listening model in a record shop, it seemed really nice. metal top, solid platter and great torque. never had an extended go though. I bought my 06 off array systems 18 months ago(ish) and he was very quick and efficient. One of the faceplate screws was overtightened though and i had to bore it out in the end because he wouldn't replace it (i don't know whether he was technically supposed to though really).

The tt500 is a nice deck though, i've had a little play and they're pretty similar in design to the ttx (apart from the display, obviously)- nice and sturdy.

i'd say get tt500. i actually haven't tried any of these myself, but you see a lot of guys using numarks these days so i think that might be a good sign. like i think dj blam and plato use these, they had almost only numarks on teeko's record release party etc.

btw about the vestax tables:

i think the first (old) pdx's were made in japan and they're said to be as stable as tanks. but the newer pdx's and pdx mk2's are made in china now and they're quite shit sometimes (wobbly plates, motor problems etc).

and a dude from the technical support team of a big german dj mailorder told me that even technics have a lot more technical problems since like a few years. they used to be super solid (i still have one i bought in 1997 and it's fine), but they're not anymore it seems.

Haha, really? Very strange.

It's very strange - no doubt about it. It just happened last night and this morning as well.

I posted this up on SL and the Vestax Pro forums, but to no avail.

Moreover - Airnino is on point about the wobbly platter...

btw about the vestax tables:

i think the first (old) pdx's were made in japan and they're said to be as stable as tanks. but the newer pdx's and pdx mk2's are made in china now and they're quite shit sometimes (wobbly plates, motor problems etc).

and a dude from the technical support team of a big german dj mailorder told me that even technics have a lot more technical problems since like a few years. they used to be super solid (i still have one i bought in 1997 and it's fine), but they're not anymore it seems.

Also, I heard about those problems with the regular PDX-2000s, not the newer MKIIs and stuff, with the newer streamlined platter. I only owned mine for a few months, but during that time, they gave me no crap whatsoever. Seemed damn solid to me.

i'm usually a real vestax dude, but if the pdx are so likely to fuck up why shouln't one get a cheaper numark table. the pdx mk2 i have now had a fucked up platter when i bought it so i went back to the store and had to try three (!!!) different spare platters till i found a straight one. now i have a pdx 2300 mk2 with a 2300 mk2 pro platter.

get a tt 500 steve. i think if my pdx died i'd get a numark too (the one with digital pitch display though). as i said before i noticed LOTS of people using these recently.

i'm usually a real vestax dude, but if the pdx are so likely to fuck up why shouln't one get a cheaper numark table. the pdx mk2 i have now had a fucked up platter when i bought it so i went back to the store and had to try three (!!!) different spare platters till i found a straight one. now i have a pdx 2300 mk2 with a 2300 mk2 pro platter.

get a tt 500 steve. i think if my pdx died i'd get a numark too (the one with digital pitch display though). as i said before i noticed LOTS of people using these recently.

Weird. My MKII Pros were fine, but, I see where you're coming from. Thanks.

I haven't used any of those decks but I've used the Stanton ST-150s and the ST-100 (i think) and I was well impressed with them, so if you T-120s are built anything like them then I don't think you be dissappointed

I was going to say exactly this. The ST-150's are the ONLY deck around that can test a Tech for build...

There's a guy on eBay called array-systems that sells a pair of brand new Stanton STR8150s a week. I got outbid at the last minute last year and was so close to winning a pair for £320. I might wait and see if I can get lucky, but just recently they've been going for £500ish. I wonder where he gets them from.

Nice! If you can get 'em cheap, do: they're great decks.

I bid on a pair of PDX-2000 MK2, being sold by that array-systems dood on eBay. In the description it said that they'd been returned by a guy who got 2 pairs for Christmas, but they were basically brand new. I lost the auction in the last few seconds, but now I notice he's listed another pair with the same line about the guy getting 2 pairs for Christmas. Same decks you reckon? Could be some dodgy shill bidding going on.