Left or right?

Sublimity

I just got my tables a few months ago and I'm learning to scratch, but I cant decide which hand would be best to use on the record and which one for the fader. I'm right handed, so do you think learning one way would be better than the other in the long run, or does it really matter?

Guest pokemon sauce

well if you learn with your left (bad) hand on the record and strong hand on the fader then you will become ambidextrous quicker as you will build up strength and record control by constantly using your left hand on the vinyl.

but i don't really care about that so i starting scratching with my good hand (right) on the record and my left hand on fader.

I'm right handed, so do you think learning one way would be better than the other in the long run, or does it really matter?

alot of people will tell you that it doesn't matter and you should do what's more comfortable. but i personally feel that everybody starting to scratch should start with right hand on record not because it's "technically" better or anything but because of developments that are happening in the scratch world.

eg. the vestax controller one, this is made with people who scratch with their right hand on the wax. maybe it's not much of a problem now but if you want to continue to scratch it may become a slight disadvantage in the future.

are you scratching regular or hamster???

well if you learn with your left (bad) hand on the record and strong hand on the fader then you will become ambidextrous quicker as you will build up strength and record control by constantly using your left hand on the vinyl.

but i don't really care about that so i starting scratching with my good hand (right) on the record and my left hand on fader.

I'm right handed, so do you think learning one way would be better than the other in the long run, or does it really matter?

alot of people will tell you that it doesn't matter and you should do what's more comfortable. but i personally feel that everybody starting to scratch should start with right hand on record not because it's "technically" better or anything but because of developments that are happening in the scratch world.

eg. the vestax controller one, this is made with people who scratch with their right hand on the wax. maybe it's not much of a problem now but if you want to continue to scratch it may become a slight disadvantage in the future.

Some very good skiisms right there!

Well I haven't settled on that yet either. Pretty much everything that I've learned so far I just practice both ways. Regular seems to work better but I have a horrible fader right now that isn't loose at all, so when I get my new one then I'll be able to decide on that.

Seems right hand on the vinyl is the way to go though.

Guest pokemon sauce

i'm scratching hamster myself although most people that are starting to scratch now are going regular.

i don't see any advantages for regular over hamster but i do find that scratching hamster is more advantageous for the crab scratch and the various flare techniques.

for people who scratch regular what techniques do you think are easier as opposed if you were performing them hamster??

for people who scratch regular what techniques do you think are easier as opposed if you were performing them hamster??

Nice, that was my next question, you beat me to it. The only thing I've noticed so far is for transformers. It seems easier for me to tap the fader open with my index finger than my thumb.

Guest pokemon sauce
Nice, that was my next question, you beat me to it. The only thing I've noticed so far is for transformers. It seems easier for me to tap the fader open with my index finger than my thumb.

i was just about to mention that people generally find it easier to transform in regular, but when i started scratching i found it easier to transform in hamster. when i started scratching i spend the first few months just practising on all the fader-less scratches and i used to transform and crab quite a bit. then when i felt i knew what was going on i moved onto the harder techniques.

if you practise in hamster then you will be able to transform as fast as any regular scratcher, oh yah apparently you can't euro scratch in hamster, but we'll see about that. i scratch and juggle/mix in hamster aswell (although i never mix and i rarely juggle)

oh yah apparently you can't euro scratch in hamster

yes you can, you do it with you're hand twisted round in a funny way and you use you've thumb & index finger for the crossfader and you little & ring finger for the up fader...if you can't work it out I'll up a video when I get home.

Guest pokemon sauce
yes you can, you do it with you're hand twisted round in a funny way and you use you've thumb & index finger for the crossfader and you little & ring finger for the up fader...if you can't work it out I'll up a video when I get home.

hey could you upload that video for me so i can check it out, thanks blud

Yea for me too, cuz i havent heard of a euro scratch yet and i wanna see what its all about.

I started scratching both hands on record. Regular and hamster. Then after 2 years stayed with the setup i cut best on (Right hand on record, hamster fader)

Whatever feels right. No one here can choose for ye.

Yea for me too, cuz i havent heard of a euro scratch yet and i wanna see what its all about.