Wireless router recommendations?

Steve

DS will require that you used WEP encyption, 128 at the strongest. Since WEP is a cracked encryption standard, you MUST ensure your router has the ability to limit connections to devices on a trusted MAC address list.

I use a Netgear router, it works great and the range is absolutely brilliant. Piece of piss to set up. I keep my torrents running via ethernet to keep the number of packets being sent much lower, to avoid my encryption key being cracked.

Oh, one other thing: my DS worked fine even when the AP wasn't broadcasting it's SSID, but some DS homebrew (Beup MSN messenger client, for example) wouldn't connect. Enabling SSID broadcast fixed it.

Hurry up and get it so I can beat you at Tetris DS (700+ wins, yes I have no life)

PS: the only equipment I've encountered that I can genuinely say AVOID is the Inventel stuff, manufactured by Thompson. Very very weird and unstable, it was a real headache to get my parents box working fine (although it does now, after a lot of dicking around)

Netgear, Belkin I'd suggest as good.

If you're hardhack enthusiant then there's the Linksys WRT54G range as well which have numerous Linux customisations, but be warned that the newer revisions have had their specs crippled a bit.

don't get the BT homehub, it is utter fucking shit! it hasn't worked here since day one, fuck knows why...

What's up with it?

IIRC, it uses WPA as standard, right? Does all your equipment support WPA?

no idea what that is mate, i'm not that tech savvy! 2 of the laptops have wireless built in, one has a wireless dongle thing and antoher is running off an ethernet cable.

we think it may have something to do with the fact that the router is actually in a socket in someone's room, rather than the main one in the lounge. but none of us are tech-minded so we literally have no idea. my gf has the same thing but hers works fine with 6 people, and ours is slow as shit and keeps d/cing with just 4 of us...

don't get the BT homehub, it is utter fucking shit! it hasn't worked here since day one, fuck knows why...

What's up with it?

IIRC, it uses WPA as standard, right? Does all your equipment support WPA?

no idea what that is mate, i'm not that tech savvy! 2 of the laptops have wireless built in, one has a wireless dongle thing and antoher is running off an ethernet cable.

we think it may have something to do with the fact that the router is actually in a socket in someone's room, rather than the main one in the lounge. but none of us are tech-minded so we literally have no idea. my gf has the same thing but hers works fine with 6 people, and ours is slow as shit and keeps d/cing with just 4 of us...

the further away from the main phone socket, the weaker the signal gets. in my house the internet works fine in the dining room, but plug the modem in the the living room (about 15 meters further away) it doesnt have a decent signal. the wireless has a range of about 100m so you may aswell have it as close as possible to your main phone line.

Is it your 'net connection that keeps disconnecting, or your wireless?

Does the ethernet work fine?

If you turn the security off temporarily, does everything function okay?

it says that the connection is down, so i'm assuming that it is the broadband connection rather than the wireless, as the message comes up from the router. haven't tried it without security yet, but it happens on everyone's computer, inc. ethernet. in fact it's worse with the ethernet cable...

I would go with any router that has WPA encryption. I've been told that MAC address filters can be cracked easily (not an expert in this) but WPA is seemingly the best encryption method these days. You can always use the MAC filter on top of that. Also make sure you hide your SSiD after you have first logged on with your devices.

Since you want to connect several computers/consoles etc. you need a router that has a port switch.

I bought one of those dodgy T-Online routers for 27 Euros but it has everything I need. it even comes with a USB port so I could use that as a print server or for a shared USB harddrive. My computer's still wired, I just use WLAN for the notebook.

Hurry up and get it so I can beat you at Tetris DS (700+ wins, yes I have no life)

I don't own it mate, but I'm pretty sure you'd thrash me at it anyway, cos I've never been very good at Tetris. I'm well up for some Mario Kart though. If it's not pissing down all day, I'll go into town tomorrow and get a wireless router.

I don't own it mate, but I'm pretty sure you'd thrash me at it anyway, cos I've never been very good at Tetris. I'm well up for some Mario Kart though. If it's not pissing down all day, I'll go into town tomorrow and get a wireless router.

Get a supercard dude. If you want, I can lend you a superkey to flash with, save you £15ish. I've flashed a few DSlites, it's easy -really painless. Actually, if you get the right wireless card you can also send ROM's via WIFI, so you don't strictly speaking NEED a supercard (but trust me, it's well worth it -homebrew scene is awesome. Have you seen the DSmidi apps?!?).

MK FC: 369 450 746 690

Post up yours when you're online and I'll add you. I'm not great at MK, my little sister whips me every time. I don't remember her friend code but I'll ask her, she's always on and fucking ace at it. There's some stiff competition on WFC, it's much more challenging than regular play, more fun too.

I ended up getting one of these: -

nintendo_wi_fi_usb_adapter_hands_on_20051107014430936_000.jpg

A guy on another forum said it works well with his DS and Wii, so that'll do for me. I should get it tomorrow (ordered it online). If it's shite I can always send it back.

The supercard is something I've looked into Liam, but not in any depth. That's the next thing I'll have to get sorted!

thiss is just ridiculous. i've just done one of those speed test things online and i'm getting 0.2mbps. that's ridiculous. i'm sitting next to my router and noone else is home. anyone have any idea why it could be so slow and what i can do to help it?

cheers.

thiss is just ridiculous. i've just done one of those speed test things online and i'm getting 0.2mbps. that's ridiculous. i'm sitting next to my router and noone else is home. anyone have any idea why it could be so slow and what i can do to help it?

cheers.

Ping your AP from command prompt and see if you're getting a stable connection? If so, ping an external website like www.google.com and see how stable that is and how much lag you're getting.

Right click the wireless icon in the system tray (bottom right)

Press status

Click the 'support' tab

Tell me what's written in the 'Connection status' box and I'll take you through it. A little info on the equipment you're using to connect might be helpful too.

I received my Nintendo Wifi adapter today, but it will only work if I switch Sygate off. I've checked that it's not being blocked and it isn't, so why does this happen?

It works fine other than that - I had a couple of games of Mario Kart earlier, but I don't like the idea of having to switch off my firewall every time I want to do some online gaming.