DIGITAL SCRATCH COMPARISON

alkatrazz

http://www.axledentaldj.com/

Really informative if you are considering buying something like this no cdx or other cd tables compared but like for me this is really useful. I hope this has not been put up before ive seen other posts that refer to these but nothin like this. hope it helps you guys whoever is trying to get something like this for the holidays cuz i know im going to try to. :74_74:

Or you could ask on this board :p

I've got Serato Scratch Live

Dub-Se7en's got Final Scratch

Clownstyle's got a CDX, as does iexist and gabriel saint.

(Damn, we should all be making some dope ass music with the tools we got..!)

Serato Scratch Live rocks, btw. I definitely recommend it to anyone in the market for such a product.

"Or you could ask on this board

I've got Serato Scratch Live

Dub-Se7en's got Final Scratch

Clownstyle's got a CDX, as does iexist and gabriel saint.

(Damn, we should all be making some dope ass music with the tools we got..!)

Serato Scratch Live rocks, btw. I definitely recommend it to anyone in the market for such a product."

Well yea ive heard ur guys reviews and stuff but what i need is like a comparison between the different types thanks though for the input, I cant wait for the skratchworx review.

So basically what the site says is that you can have a kickass FS setup for about 150 bucks. Here's the breakdown (for laptop use):

You can pick up one of these for $100 bucks. Maya44 USB Sound Card It's USB, got 4 inputs and 4 outputs, and it supports ASIO.

A pair of time-coded records, say $15 each, either from FS or Ms. Pinky

A copy of this software, DJ Decks either bootlegged or for $30

Getting a digital scratch setup that works better than FS and has less than 2ms latency for $150: PRICELESS

see the thing is you gotta take everything with a grain of salt (i think thats how the saying goes) because all that is dependent on the laptop u use and even sometimes not or when u use it or if ur comp does this or if that does this..... I dunno ive heard so many people review stuff like that and its all mixed replies... Some people say well the better the comp the better the system will run, and u got cats that have like a freakin pentium 7 and a zillion gig ram and fucken satellites hanging out there laptop that give them head while they drink a virtual coffe and fucks if it works. first they dont know how to use it or it just dosent work or it works too good i dunno just too much, and then u got guys that know how to tweak the sytem and program using a pentium three with the bare minimums working it and using it with no problems. So i guess i defeated my purpose of looking for a good comparison but i trust skratchworx will do a good job helping out.....

you just have to be sensible about it. So long as you can configure your hardware and software properly you should have no problems with it. Doing what I mentioned above is no different from running the actual FS.

i am gonna buy final scratch in the new year. for the money it's spot on. so long as you use good quality sound files, its the same as using vinyl*, but with extras. if your decks are run through the pc (like mine are) then you are virtually there as far as setup goes.

a cdx with more input options would be a good buy - like one with flash memory slots, for INSTANT use of a sample, rather than burning the cd.

with final scratch (or one if its genre compadres) you could be on skype, say to the other guy hey i like that sample you are scratching on, he emails it, you drop it on the deck and off you go. or be playing somewhere, someone could shout something into the mic for you. moments later you can cut on it.

*except for the "rave style" spinbacks dont come out so well.

yeah, if you already have a decent asio soundcard you might just need the software - and you can try that for free

all you'd need to buy is some fs records - £15 each i think

that's what i did - works great

it's worth thinking about before diving in for a full fs purchase

you need a 2 in 2 out card that's asio compatible, like a sound blaster audigy, and FS records

i've tried djdecks, but couldn't get it to work right. i'm gonna try it again now it no longer needs preamps.

FS2 is gonna rock, as long as stanton/ni sort out their shite support

Example:

i emailed them saying i was experiencing trouble with distortion. i told them i could temporarily fix it by changing the latency settings, but after 1/2 an hour it would return.

their suggestion: keep doing that then!

hmmmm

that was one of the reasons i got djdecks

the support board is helpful with users but also the programmer answers every other question

and he is constantly updating and adding new things

i've even mailed him a few samples to show the timecode response with different cartridges(the cheap ones were a lot worse than shure) and he used it to improve the vinyl code detection

you need a 2 in 2 out card that's asio compatible, like a sound blaster audigy, and FS records

i've tried djdecks, but couldn't get it to work right. i'm gonna try it again now it no longer needs preamps.

FS2 is gonna rock, as long as stanton/ni sort out their shite support

Example:

i emailed them saying i was experiencing trouble with distortion. i told them i could temporarily fix it by changing the latency settings, but after 1/2 an hour it would return.

their suggestion: keep doing that then!

hmmmm

The audigy cards only work if you have a PC. Neither the Audigy USB nor the Audigy pcmcia card have the required inputs. You need two line level stereo ins, and neither of those cards have them. For laptop DJs you have to go with something like an expensive M-Audio, or my new christmas present to myself, the Maya 44 usb

Why are you guys sleeping on Serato Scratch Live?

It already works, no waiting for any upgrades. But the support forum is excellent anyway, and the developers actually mod the board and ask for the users what they want to see in future upgrades.

You can back spin, you can scratch mp3's which end up sounding better than Final Scratch with wavs.

In my opinion, if you aren't going to get a CDX, and want a PC based solution, get and forget about Final Scratch (2nd Hand, I'm looking at you)

Why are you guys sleeping on Serato Scratch Live?

It already works, no waiting for any upgrades. But the support forum is excellent anyway, and the developers actually mod the board and ask for the users what they want to see in future upgrades.

You can back spin, you can scratch mp3's which end up sounding better than Final Scratch with wavs.

In my opinion, if you aren't going to get a CDX, and want a PC based solution, get and forget about Final Scratch (2nd Hand, I'm looking at you)

I understand where you're comin from, but i don't have the money for it. Even if SSL is better, if I can get a similar setup for 150 bucks then the choice is obvious to me.