So... I've just ordered an SA5

dextrous

to replace THE PIECE OF SHIT that is the 06 pro. I can't believe I ever wanted this mixer in the first place. It sounds shit it feels shit and the EQ is possibly the worst in the world. I guess its only redeeming feature is that I've had it 5 years and I've never replaced a fader.

Anyway I've heard good things about the SA5 for the price so can anyone reassure me that I have not just bent over in order to fuck myself in the ass by buying this? Am I gonna get a fortnight in then start slapping meself because I should have just dropped a cheddar bomb on a better mixer?

Fuck it I couldn't afford anymore anyway. I do chuff all DJing these days so there's not really much justification for dropping 600+ on a mixer. The SA5 was only 180 new and delivered so i can't really complain.

So yeah hook me up with the mods and shit for the SA5. i want all of the faders to be loose, crackly and knackered in a week because of all of the improvement mods I've done on them.

Not sure about the SA5 but anything has to be better then the terrible EQ on the 06. I have one myself and its appauling. Although i have put a pro x in it now so with an ultra loose fader, almost instant cut in, and the 06's slim style its a proper little battle mixer.

Yeah... slim style.... I fucking hate that as well.

I usually have about a half foot gap between the mixer and each turntable so the distance is like a normal mixer. Which in turn means it slides around all over the place.

Battle style my arse, it just makes it confusing when you go on a normal sized mixer. The only worse thing was that 'T' shaped mixer vestax brought out.

I seriously hate this mixer. If I could afford to it would be getting destryed in the most spectacular manner possible.

to replace THE PIECE OF SHIT that is the 06 pro. I can't believe I ever wanted this mixer in the first place. It sounds shit it feels shit and the EQ is possibly the worst in the world. I guess its only redeeming feature is that I've had it 5 years and I've never replaced a fader.

Anyway I've heard good things about the SA5 for the price so can anyone reassure me that I have not just bent over in order to fuck myself in the ass by buying this? Am I gonna get a fortnight in then start slapping meself because I should have just dropped a cheddar bomb on a better mixer?

Fuck it I couldn't afford anymore anyway. I do chuff all DJing these days so there's not really much justification for dropping 600+ on a mixer. The SA5 was only 180 new and delivered so i can't really complain.

So yeah hook me up with the mods and shit for the SA5. i want all of the faders to be loose, crackly and knackered in a week because of all of the improvement mods I've done on them.

Joe. Excellent decision man. Other than paying £500 nothing is better.

Sound and electrics are excellent. EQs are strong as fuck, 3 Penny n Giles faders. I bought an SA5 about 3 years ago and have never wanted for another mixer. If you don't need effects send there is no reason to spend another Penny on a mixer again.

Make sure you mod the fader up though by shifting a washer from the side you cut on to make the cut in tighter.

Right so the fader cut needs tightening? cool. I can live with that. My credit card mod skill are the stuff of legend as well you know.

It was mainly you chatting about the SA5 in the past that made me get it. I trust your opinion like.

It was a good price as well. Some shop on ebay selling them new for 165 + 12 postage . No complaints for that price.

Quite looking forward to it actually. But not quite as much as I'm looking forward to sacking off the 06.

Right so the fader cut needs tightening? cool. I can live with that. My credit card mod skill are the stuff of legend as well you know.

It was mainly you chatting about the SA5 in the past that made me get it. I trust your opinion like.

It was a good price as well. Some shop on ebay selling them new for 165 + 12 postage . No complaints for that price.

Quite looking forward to it actually. But not quite as much as I'm looking forward to sacking off the 06.

I dunno if you remember but it was you who first introduced me to the Credit Card mod. hah. Cheers again man.

You don't even need to do it man. You cut on the left deck yeah? I think I remember right.

If so just take 1 or 2 of the washers from the right side of the fader to give it a tiny bit quicker cut in.

The 05 basically has the features of the 07 but with much better sound, much stronger EQs and 3 Penny and Giles's.

I know you know your shit and you'll deffo be into this. I'd put £100 on it.

That be the one Captain Ryan.

Yeah I have a 06 with a proX in

I fucking hate it, it rattles like a

bastard. The proX is cool though.

I have a 56 as well I even thought of

going for muzzels 56 just to get rid

off the bag of bones that is the 06.

I need 2 mixers for my setup.

Can you put a proX in the sa5

thats a great price joe.

Yeah I have a 06 with a proX in

I fucking hate it, it rattles like a

bastard. The proX is cool though.

I have a 56 as well I even thought of

going for muzzels 56 just to get rid

off the bag of bones that is the 06.

I need 2 mixers for my setup.

Can you put a proX in the sa5

thats a great price joe.

You'd have to drill holes.

To be honest it has a Penny and Giles so when you move the washers it's a superb fader anyway darren.

hey - i've got the 08 dj focus model - apart from rotary's instead of faders is there any diffference between that and the 05 ?

Also i;ve got a problem with my fader/faceplate - i took it out and have refitted it loads of times but the stem rubs against the face plate slit and is slow and fucking annoying ! I tried bend the stem, but that just meant the cap rubbed against the face plate on one side - anyone got any ideas ???

Cheers

cheers dude - i dunno about filing the face face, that's really gonna make it look fuckd - hhhmmm just had the idea of drilling the face plate screw holes to make the face plate slide up more .. theres kind of a gap where you slide in in the face plate that i could try and close up ....

top tip - wicked !!

just had a look - can i use the grinder/sander bits in a normal drill ? or is there something special about these little hand held drill things ?

Edited by kut_class

yo, ther sa-5's an effing great mixer, best mixer you can get without dropping 3 times the dolo... but yea, do the resistor bypass and washer mods on it, but also if you find it too tight, find something flat and press down the rail glide things to make it way looser, broken sword hooked me up with that idea and it made me love my sa-5 way more cuz now it's almost as loose as an 05-pro/pcv fader, but way more solid, like it doesn't move up and down or across the rails or anything...

and about the pro-x fade, they're making a new one, pro-x fade 2, and it's supposed to be able to fit in the sa-5 without modifications :d

Right so the eagle has landed.

Nice mixer I'm impressed. I like sliders, the os2 switches are ok (I thought they would be shit) the eq is nice, looks good, with the bypass and a bit of lube and a couple of extra washers the xfade is sweet.

It's a bit clunky though, a bit loud and rattly when cutting but I can handle that and maybe put some different washers in to sort that out.

BUT

I'm really not impressed with the ups. You've got three settings. The cut one is pretty silly from my pov. The signal is off when the fader is all the way down, and fully on at 1. I'd prefer to have it cut towards the top of the upfader rather than the bottom still.... I can set it to fade which is a nice even fader - ok, but maybe not what I want for cutting.

So we're left with the mid option and this is where I need advice. The curve on this setting is perfect for me but its fucked. When you move the fader down the signal doesn't disappear straigh away - it sort of dies away over the course of one or 2 seconds which means that if you're doing fast stabs or whatever essentially the signal does not cut out when you turn the fader off quickly.

Is this a common problem? Is there a mod? Both faders do it exactly the same so I'm sure it's not a fault as such.

For the money this mixer is well good, but the ups are stopping me from saying it is great.

I'm really not impressed with the ups. You've got three settings. The cut one is pretty silly from my pov. The signal is off when the fader is all the way down, and fully on at 1. I'd prefer to have it cut towards the top of the upfader rather than the bottom still.... I can set it to fade which is a nice even fader - ok, but maybe not what I want for cutting.

So we're left with the mid option and this is where I need advice. The curve on this setting is perfect for me but its fucked. When you move the fader down the signal doesn't disappear straigh away - it sort of dies away over the course of one or 2 seconds which means that if you're doing fast stabs or whatever essentially the signal does not cut out when you turn the fader off quickly.

Is this a common problem? Is there a mod? Both faders do it exactly the same so I'm sure it's not a fault as such.

For the money this mixer is well good, but the ups are stopping me from saying it is great.

uhhh, there shouldn't be a delay when you're cutting with the ups... I keep them on mid all the time so I can fade and do some cuts (I don't know why anyone'd put the ups on cut when you have a crossfader for that... I guess for the euro scratch?), you'll have to move the fader a bit more cuz the sound doesn't cut out fully until the 5, but you can get away with only moving it to like the 8 and usually it sounds like it cuts...

I think the upfaders on the sa-5 are just as sharp as the rane and ecler ones aren't they? I dunno, I haven't really found a mixer with upfaders I really like cutting on yet tho...

It's weird. When the xfade is all the way over the ups are fine in the mid position. But if the xfade is in the middle you get the problem with signal dieing away rather than cutting out. Anyone have any ideas about this???

It's on both sides and only when the ups are set to mid.

I have never saw this Joe. Hmm. Will test mine as soon as home man.

• 3 weeks later...