best luxury / high end mixers

I borrowed a 909 for a couple of weeks. The fader popped badly. On the Pioneer forums, one of the "Team Pioneer" guys says it's caused by Shure M44-7 carts: -

Seems for some reason, that perticular cart (M44-7) has some kind of low frequency pickup which is amplified in the crossfader right at either end.

Sorry I can't be of any further help - tech support is the best road for help but chances are you're going to have the same problem even if they replace it with another one. The guys in Japan know about it, I'm not sure what they are / will be doing about it. For the meantime you might want to switch carts.

That totally put me off buying it, cos other than that it's a great mixer.

Just out of interest for people in the know and who keep hyping up the scratchbox, which faders (digital or ananlogue) are recommend and what's the difference in feel?

Also regarding the 909, I've not used one but I've got a gig next friday where one is provided, if I "hammer" the upfaders are they likely to snap off or fall apart or anything (people are saying the feel a bit flimsy)?

The Infinium (Digital) and TKD faders (Analogue) in the Scratchbox actually have quite a similar feel in terms of physical resistance and weight. I think I prefer the Infinium but then I didn't really cut on the TKD ones much.

The Infinium should be good as long as it doesn't mechanically fail, but the circuitry is mega-exposed and fragile looking. Hopefully it won't be a problem but it hasn't been out long enough for anyone to know.

i rekon any of these mixers can break down after a few years, it depends on the use you give em dunnit

Dunno about that. It's fair to say it doesn't get the heaviest use, but my Xone is over 5 years old, never gets a real clean or anything, and is very frequently moved around, taken places, and new crossfader/faceplate wear aside it may as well be new. It's fair to say that mixers like, 05's for example, develop problems after a few years due to poor solder drying out etc. Choice of mixer does definately affect lifespan considerably. I see your point though, any mixer ragged to fuck will eventually die, but some of the ideas expresed here (e.g. that it's OK for an 08 to die after a few months because Tigerstyle is clicking like they're going out of fashion) are a bit concerning: any mixer should last 4-5 years MINIMUM in my book, which should be long enough for you to get bored and want a new one lol

The Infinium (Digital) and TKD faders (Analogue) in the Scratchbox actually have quite a similar feel in terms of physical resistance and weight. I think I prefer the Infinium but then I didn't really cut on the TKD ones much.

The Infinium should be good as long as it doesn't mechanically fail, but the circuitry is mega-exposed and fragile looking. Hopefully it won't be a problem but it hasn't been out long enough for anyone to know.

Ok, so where could and get ona and a pair of pdxs for say, 30quid?

I see your point though, any mixer ragged to fuck will eventually die, but some of the ideas expresed here (e.g. that it's OK for an 08 to die after a few months because Tigerstyle is clicking like they're going out of fashion) are a bit concerning: any mixer should last 4-5 years MINIMUM in my book, which should be long enough for you to get bored and want a new one lol

sure not sayin that a few months n falls apart isnt shit, hardly the best advert for vestax

if ur busy n mixer virtually lives in your gig bag then i'd be suprised youd keep one longer than a few years, just my experience iv only had vestax ecler n pioneer in various forms so dunno bout rane, theyre built like tanks so would figure theyr as good in the box as out it

dont worry bout the ups on 909 tom, you wont bust em - iv cut on them for long periods n i really like em, do feel a little flimsy but fun like that too

I borrowed a 909 for a couple of weeks. The fader popped badly. On the Pioneer forums, one of the "Team Pioneer" guys says it's caused by Shure M44-7 carts: -

That totally put me off buying it, cos other than that it's a great mixer.

thats right too, does pop, i havent felt its been that noticeable, if you listen to it on high ref monitors then its more obvious than on a stereo or rig, even as big as festivals n that, they used 909s at creamfields n they sounded great, couldnt hear a single pop n it was a very decent sysyem, all im saying is it hasnt put me off the mixer

all im saying is it hasnt put me off the mixer

I'd like to get one as a second mixer, to use for actual mixing, but the popping noise got on my nerves when I was practicing scratching. It didn't sound natural at all. I know what you're saying about big sound systems though. I went to see the Scratch Perverts and they used 3 909s - I didn't notice any popping at all then.