If I Buy A Macbook WIll I Need An External Sound

Card?

I don't need phantom power as have a mixing desk and due to the same reason I only need one input and output.

Will the quality of the audio be ok or will I have to buiy an external soundcard?

Thanks peeps.

P.S. Taylor won American idol. WOOOOOOOOOO!!!! :d :d :8

If it helps, this is the audio spec for the sound card.

Audio line in/optical digital audio in port

Connect your MacBook to a line-level microphone or optical digital audio equipment. The Audio In port accommodates both optical digital audio input and analog audio input.

Analog line and optical digital audio input is accepted through a 3.5mm mini phone jack which does not provide power to a connected device, so you must use self-powered peripherals. The sound input jack accepts line-level stereo signals up to 24-bit stereo 44.1-192kHz sampling rate. It also accepts a stereo miniplug-to-RCA cable adapter for connecting stereo equipment to the computer.

Optical digital audio input is S/PDIF format and uses a standard Toslink cable with a Toslink mini-plug adapter, accepting up to 24-bit stereo and 44.1-96kHz sampling rate.

Only going on what you've written there I doubt you'd need an external soundcard. The only really reason I could see for getting one is so you have better AD converters however if your desk has a digital output you could send that straight into the S/PDIF on the macbook and have no problems at all. Basically I would've thought you'd be fine with just the macbook.

Only going on what you've written there I doubt you'd need an external soundcard. The only really reason I could see for getting one is so you have better AD converters however if your desk has a digital output you could send that straight into the S/PDIF on the macbook and have no problems at all. Basically I would've thought you'd be fine with just the macbook.

Tom. Forgive me for my ignorance. I am a computer and tech imbocile. My desk is just a cheap little Behringer dek with normal jack outputs. I asume this means it has not got digital outputs.

Will that mean I do need an external sound card?

Cheers

What the X said

"input jack accepts line-level stereo signals "

so you can go in on a mini jack by the looks of it. Not exactly super hi-fi but it would be ok. The sound card info is making all the right noises but you could do with finding its signal to noise ratio and latency info etc.

So yeah you won't need an external card but then again we don't need anything but food water and shelter so it's up to you.

Why don't you try it for a bit and see how it works out before splashing on an external?

You don't strictly speaking NEED one

But generally the internal provisions for audio built into notebooks is plagued by interference, crosstalk etc., plus it's never going to be that powerful, so whilst straight recording will be fine, running VST's etc. isn't going to be plain sailing

Considering the price of a macbook, factoring in even a mid-price USB soundcard would probabbly pay off.

Oh, and before you hump the macbook take a look at the Vaio's. Unless you're a complete mac head you'll probabbly thank me later. Macs are for flashers in the park anyway

You don't strictly speaking NEED one

But generally the internal provisions for audio built into notebooks is plagued by interference, crosstalk etc., plus it's never going to be that powerful, so whilst straight recording will be fine, running VST's etc. isn't going to be plain sailing

Considering the price of a macbook, factoring in even a mid-price USB soundcard would probabbly pay off.

Oh, and before you hump the macbook take a look at the Vaio's. Unless you're a complete mac head you'll probabbly thank me later. Macs are for flashers in the park anyway

Can you suggest a Vaio with a similar spec/price range. They seemed well expensive to me.

Cheers

i did sony tech support for a grip like a year ago....and we got alot of calls reguarding the vaio computers, and as far as repair policies go they can be REALLY stingy. now, im a mac user, i own a powerbook 17" 1.5GHz and ive not had a SINGLE problem with it even after having a near full beer spilled in it by some random slut. no corrosion, no problems at all, just posting my experience so you can make your own conclusion.....my OPINION is that a mac will hold up better and is engineered better than any vaio on the market, however there have been some problems with the new macbooks because they are NEW, alot of new technology and such. again, its really up to you, its your money, just trying to drop the knowledge i got.

i almost lost track of the original question, as far as the sound is concerned, i do not have any problems with the quality of sound on my powerbook, however, a midi controller is definately a nice addition to any laptop based setup and although you might not use all the features now, as you become more production and studio minded you might want to pick up a decent midi controller.

Fuck it. My heads hurting too much from trying to decide what to get. Every single person has a totally different attitude. I ain't getting anything at all. I'm giving the money away. It causes too much trouble.

Anyone want £850 paypalling to them?

since i offered you my advice, which is not free, ill take it, you can send it to, stopbeingawhineylittlebitchandjustmakeaneducateddecision@paypal.com. ;) kthx

Poast a nail phile nuggoh.

In truth though. How the effin hell do I make an "Educated" decision when I don't know shit about PC's and everyone says a different thing.

That's it. I'm going with the one that will get me the most pussy on the train.

that would be the mac.......but seriously man, you dont need to know much about either, if you go to either toms hardware or anandtech, both searchable in google, you should be able to read the reviews and figure it out. they are a bit techy, shit if you dont wanna do the reading, get an amiga, or just scroll to the end and find the sites rating...........the end rating tells all ;)