Another top move from Sony - no 2nd hand PS3 games

Steve

High street games shops have been told by Sony that there will be no PS3 pre-owned sections in their stores as it will be illegal for customers to sell any next-gen PlayStation games that they've bought, retail sources have revealed to GamesRadar.

It seems that Sony is planning to adopt a licensing system that will mean gamers won't own the PS3 titles that they've paid money for. Instead, they will only be purchasing the licence to play the game and that the software itself will still be Sony property - meaning that the disc won't be the customer's to sell.

http://www.gamesradar.com/gb/ps3/game/news...&sectionId=1006

:((

Couldn't really have come at a worse time either. I guess this will mean eBay will be forced to adhere to such rules as well? It's not looking good for Sony at all. It's gone from the ridiculous to the sublime, if you'll pardon the rather hackneyed phrase

Shit isn't it? One of the good things about consoles is the fact that when you're bored of a game you can trade it in for another one. I bet the games won't be cheap either. What do you reckon? £40-£50 a throw?

I'm sure I read somewhere that their triple A 'true next gen' games will be £80 to warrant development costs, and their A grade games will be £40.

I still think they'll piss on Microsoft and Nintendo, they must have something up their sleeve to think they can pull this off. Add that to the fact I bet they get most of their sales (bet you can look this up actually) from businessmen wanting the cool one, and the price turns it into a luxury product thus more desirable for said market...

maybe..?

I'm sure I read somewhere that their triple A 'true next gen' games will be £80 to warrant development costs, and their A grade games will be £40.

I still think they'll piss on Microsoft and Nintendo, they must have something up their sleeve to think they can pull this off. Add that to the fact I bet they get most of their sales (bet you can look this up actually) from businessmen wanting the cool one, and the price turns it into a luxury product thus more desirable for said market...

maybe..?

People only have so much disposable income, especially if they're kids nagging their parents for a PS3 at Xmas. If the console alone is £425, then you need games and stuff, it's gonna put it out of reach for a lot of people. The PS3 being a blu-ray player is cool and all, but I really don't give a shit. DVD is good enough quality for me and it's cheap as chips to burn your own DVDRs.

hmm wonder if the stuff about the ps3 being like 400-500 quid are rumours too

Nah, Sony announced the price as £425.

Obviously aiming at people with money. Premium product positioning and all that. Maybe they're trying to distance themselves from Microsoft and Nintendo and make the PS3 a brand apart - like Bang and Olufson.

High street games shops have been told by Sony that there will be no PS3 pre-owned sections in their stores as it will be illegal for customers to sell any next-gen PlayStation games that they've bought, retail sources have revealed to GamesRadar.

It seems that Sony is planning to adopt a licensing system that will mean gamers won't own the PS3 titles that they've paid money for. Instead, they will only be purchasing the licence to play the game and that the software itself will still be Sony property - meaning that the disc won't be the customer's to sell.

http://www.gamesradar.com/gb/ps3/game/news...&sectionId=1006

lol, that wont work.

If Nintendo or Microsoft offers gamers to buy a game including the right to resell it, Sony cant sustain that policy without loosing some massive market share.

hmm wonder if the stuff about the ps3 being like 400-500 quid are rumours too

Nah, Sony announced the price as £425.

Obviously aiming at people with money. Premium product positioning and all that. Maybe they're trying to distance themselves from Microsoft and Nintendo and make the PS3 a brand apart - like Bang and Olufson.

They'd be silly to do so....

Sony's always been associated with pretty decent-quality products at a reasonable price....

They'd be shooting themselves in the foot trying to appeal to just a niche market....

Sony's always been associated with pretty decent-quality products at a reasonable price....

They'd be shooting themselves in the foot trying to appeal to just a niche market....

The PS2 was consistently the most expensive current-gen console AND the least powerful. Yet it constantly outsold the Xbox. It's all about advertising innit

The PS2 was consistently the most expensive current-gen console AND the least powerful. Yet it constantly outsold the Xbox. It's all about advertising innit

True....it was marketed though as a product for most age and social groups, not for a certain group