The mics.. what to buy?

Allright fellas. So im getting more and more into producing and me and my buddy want to start setting up live shows. So my question is whats a good economical mic i can buy that would be good for using live and also for recording to use in the studio. I have no experience what so ever with mics so I am open to all suggestions. Thanks in advance.

p.s. I wish money was not a factor but it is. At the same time I dont mind spending the cash if its worth the better quality.

nice one xander.... Now would this be good enough for example I have a buddy who plays sax and I usually go over to his place to record him play.. except the mic i use is a piece of shit, this would be fine for a situation like that? Have you used it and do you got a GC hook up?? Thanks again for the reply.

Anyone else have experience with this or another mic they could reccomend.

If you want ONE inexpensive mic get an sm 58 or maybe a sennheiser E855. Good solid stage mics that are reasonable enough quality for some recording work.

One mic isn't going to do a great job with a lot of things though. jack of all trades master of none and all that. A dynamic mic certainly won't do justice to a sax in a studio. Though if he plays like Kenny G thats probably a good thing.

niiiice thanks fellas. ill look into it then. i would want to buy two mics one for the studio and one for giggin but i really dont have enough mullah.

So im assuming the mic in your avatar is out of the question dextrous?

Anyone else got any sushessions? saint come on you do this kind of stuff all the time.

The SM58 is a vocal mic, and it sounds amazing for vocals. not great for instruments as you have to get very close to it and it enhances voice frequencies. The PG58 is the next step down vocal mic, should cost you in the region of £40-50, whereas the sm58 will be £70ish i think. The PG has an on off switch, which could be handy for stage use. I've got the PG, it's tasty. Behringer do an imitation for about £18, an by all accounts it's brilliant for the price. humanbeatbox.com did a writeup comparing them...

If you don't have an XLR in on your soundcard, factor in a jack cable into the price (they come with XLR connectors), and if you're feeling flush then get a stand for studio use. You can DIY though, they're quite expensive for what is essentially a stick (you get the screw in holster with the mic). Don't buy a pop shield, they're a waste of money unless you wanna look 'professional' to people you bring round to record, just pull a pair of tights over a bent coathanger to do the job just as well at a tenth the price (or free if you don't think it's too weird to use one of your mam's castaways :p).

• 2 weeks later...

if you want to use the mic in live situations you should go with the sm 58, if you just want it to record, then you may find a decent cheap condenser will serve you better! the sm58's great tho for pretty much everything, you miss some of the top end detail in them that you'll get on a condenser mic, but people even use sm 58's in studios to track guitars n other instruments, just coz its an industry standard for live sound, people like to keep the sound in their recordings too...but again, you'll get far more detail from a condenser and you can do a lot more with a vocal thats tracked with one, saxophone would certainly sound better on a condenser, but that doesnt mean you cant get a good result from a sm58 on a sax! depends on the instrument, the player, the room, loads of shit - borrow one fora week if you can and see if its suits...

if you get a condenser mic then you'll need to be able to give it phantom power and you may have to look into a pre-amp, depending what you're after, but on a budget behringer used to do a little digital mixer console that included the preamps n everything for under a hundred quid, really good way in...

the more you get into your recording the more anal you're gona get with how your record sounds so its better to pay up for something and look after it and get a lifetime of use out of it rather than have to upgrade, which is never cost effective! i paid 500 quid for my mic by blue, and so long as i dont drop it after too much of the cheeby late at night it'll last years....happy writing!

instead of an sm58 check out the behringer xm8500

http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:i1IWTvj...uk&ct=clnk&cd=1

- review by a guy whose judgement i definitely trust

can probably be picked up in america for about $20, and when i've heard them live they've sounded great

no hating on behringer please :)

they also do some decent looking condenser mics, can't vouch for them though

• 2 weeks later...

For a half decent condenser pick up a AKG 100 Perception. I've recorded vocals at a couple of studios for some people with these when I had nothing else at my disposal and they sounded really nice! I'd take it over the Samson's or Apex mics in a second. Greatest deal for $100 USD

Live giging be sure to rock a SM58, they're built tough as rock! It will last you a lifetime guaranteed. I've used one as a hammer once and it still worked as if it were brand new. The PG 58 has an on/off switch you don't want that on a performance mic. Those are only good for live presentations /podiums and stuff of that nature.

IMO = Don't cheap out on a studio mic. Work an extra shift or rob some kids for their lunch money or something !!

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Percep100/reviews