External Soundcard Help........

Sir Dongbot

Ok here's the deal. i'm trying to update my recording system by changing from a cd recorder to recording on my laptop using Cool edit pro...for mixtapes etc etc.

the problem is that my laptop has 2 soundcard 3.5 female holes, (mic input & speaker output) but what I need is the blue one which is line in, or else the sound will be really shit.

So I need a external soundcard. Can anyone give me any advice on what one is best to get and affordable. my laptop is a HP omnibook & runs on XP.

"Help me Obi-1 kanobi, your my only hope!!!!!!!!"

Abolutely. Top sound quality, 'proper' connectors, decent latency. I don't think you can go wrong with it really. You'd be getting something aimed at what you want to do with it, rather than 'making do' with something else.

Also, it being a USB device you could easily use it on any other computer you may have. This has crossed my mind too, since I use about three different PC's for different things. If you get it, let me know what you think of it, I'd really like to get one myself as soon as I have a bit of cash.

If all you need a soundcard for is recording yourself then there is no reason to spend your money on an M-Box! I have one and I like it a lot, but use it for music production, instrument recording and post-audio editing and sound design for film/tv. These days there are so many options. If you think you may want to dip into Protools someday then pick up an M-Audio product. They all supports M-Powered ProTools. Its a slightly watered down version of protools and the differences are irrelevant for musical purposes. These products will still run any other DAW like Cubase/Cooledit/Acid or whatever else floats your boat.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/MobilePreUSB-main.html

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FastTrackPro-main.html