My Norton expires Tomorrow

mattnice

Get kaspersky comrade.. It can be attained for a minimul fee.... Free.... i mean fee.... I mean free... i actually mean fee if someone important who can do me harm is actually reading this.

Guest sirchickski

what ever the fuck you do dont have norton and avg at same time! They were both attacking each other saying there were both viruses! Pissed me off in the end so i put each CD in their own corner so they can stop fighting for a while now i just use mcafee!

I've got the corporate version of norton if you like, since running it along with sygate firewall my pc hasn't been touched.

the norton never needs to be renewed, but it is in french, so for you brits i know that might just kill you

U being serious

Deadly, althought I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else, when most people ask I point them to avg for a free one or kaspersky if they wanna...errr...pay. But for me, I never use one, I find it's done me well over the years by just looking after my system properly and keeping my eye on things. However, I do about once a year get paranoid and install something and give my pc a scan....3 hrs later I get pissed off because the virus checker hasn't found anything and promptly uninstall the fucker!

Like I say I recommend most people DO have one though.

I'm the same as x2k... no virus checking, no problem. But I also get the feeling that we're both tech-savvy and very aware web surfers so we're probabbly not at the greatest risk. A huge number of viruses seem to be spread by dumb email attachments that I would never in a million years even scan over, but my mother would almost certainly open... so she needs antivirus.

I suggest:

http://rapidshare.de/files/16593785/EZ_Antivirus.rar.html

Very small footprint; decent protection.

I use Kaspersky but I only use the on-demand scanning. I don't bother having it running all the time. I got a virus just the other day actually and Kaspersky didn't detect it. These two entries showed up in HijackThis: -

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft M.S.N. Services] msnmm.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Microsoft M.S.N. Services] msnmm.exe

Turns out it's a variant of the Rbot worm that allows remote access to my machine. A day later Kaspersky updated the definitions to include it. I wouldn't advise anyone to use no antivirus software at all - tech savvy or not, because there are so many ways to get infected. On the other hand, don't go too over the top either. I've seen people running 2 or 3 antivirus products, 2 firewalls, half a dozen antispyware apps and they wonder why their PC is slow.