Cutting vs Mixing

broma

i agree with J.

i started off mixing early house in 91, always with scratchin tho...but yeh....mixing is neglected by many scratch addicts...which is fair enough i suppose, if all you wanna do is sit in a room and cut!

mixing reccuds shows other skills....its not just about matching beats, any fool can do that with a bit of practice...

pz

Thoroughly agree with you all :s

I never intended to get into scratching so much. It just kinda happened. I blame this shit hole. :p Got no ambition to bore people silly with scratch/juggle sets, enter competitions etc so what is the fucking point?! Habits are hard to break. :(

Mixing wise it didn't take me long to be able to beat match and mix house, new scholar breaks etc but I never liked that stuff anyway. I've been trying to mix funk, reggae, jazz and hip hop, and it just comes out sloppy - not going from hip hop to hip hop - but the live off timenizz of everything else fucks me up.

• 1 month later...

I had to practice mixing a couple of years ago. i thought i was perfect but realise my technique was rusty. altough my mixing is good, great at times, i do have the odd eppy moment where I am unable to hear what is going on and it fucks up. although i prefer that than playing it safe.

simple beatmatching is like riding a bike, once u learn you never forget. Being able to properly craft a set and build it up at the right points and know when to drop in certain tunes etc is another kettle of fish altogether.

all I used to do was mix....cause I didnt have a clue how to scratch. I think the best DJ's do a bit of everything & that way it keeps things interesting & dancefloors full. Also as Matt pointed out often track selection is overlooked by skillz. If you dont have good taste in music then you got a problem!!!

also u gotta play good tunes,not just the same as what every other person is playin.

While i generally agree, around here the rule of thumb you should at least HAVE the common records because when 10 sorrority girls come asking for some Laffy Taffy shit and you don't have it.... not a good look.

I had a bunch of drunken females who had just graduated at my last show. I had about a 2 hour set. The first half of my set was downtempo, with some scratching a juggling with a bit of looping. Once the room filled with drunk preps I had to play to the audience. I ended bleding every cliche top 10 rap song I had. Needless to say, they ate it up. I had to kinda read what they were feeling and what they were not feeling and cater to that. Once around 2 o`clock came around, everyone was so blasted that anything I did they liked. THATS when I sneak in somemore juggling and scratching and the crowd was digging it. YOu kinda got to sneak it in on them.

Started off in 97 as a techno / oldskool rave DJ, so learned to mix long before i could scratch.

thesedays i don't often mix unless i'm playing out. simple reason is cos either i don't have time or can't be arsed to get my vinyl down from the loft or set up FS/laptop etc whereas if i wanna scratch i just wack superseal on and loop up a beat.

my mixing is still pretty sharp though and i reckon i could give most house DJ's a run for their money with my 4 beat cue-up mixes ;)

that's what i'm talkin bout

I used to quickmix dnb for a while, dropping basslines/in and out, overlaying tracks. I still get excited about a good blend because it brings a unique edge to what you're doing, even better when its one you come up with mid-set.

• 2 weeks later...

Mixin' & Scratchin' 4 me...

I don't think there will be many DJ's out there that havn't neglected mixin' once realisin' thier Cuts... I think if i just mixed records, I wudda been bored to a halt "years ago" A good balence goes without sayin' (so I won't Ha Ha)

Pease Ya'll Muchacho

Camaro...