DIY serato/final scratch

Guest petesasqwax

Guest petesasqwax

rumours were somebody had made a serato unit macguyver style, using the sensors from a mouse or some shit.

anyone think i'm not smoking rock on this one??

snig cats?

seriously, i remember this being mentioned

Not personally but it's good from what I've heard.

Remember you're only dealing with 1 turntable here, plus you'll need a phono preamp.

$99 though? I thought it was cheaper tbh. I think you can get the vinyls for about £15-£20 and maybe find the software for a *ahem* reduced rate?

This has been confusing me a little bit for a while now, I don't know why but I can't get my head around it completely. If I plug my ttx (set to line) directly into the line in on my soundcard, then the line out on my soundcard into pgm1 on my mixer, and the main output of my mixer to the input on my amp, am I good to go? Obviously I'd need the control vinyl and software, but... is that all that's needed to scratch with one table?

c

Guest petesasqwax

word - i find it quite confusing too. i've used serato and appreciate how that does what it does, but this has no input box?

i run my 1210s into my 05proII and then either straight into the line in or through a behringer mixing desk and into the line in

would i need some other way of doing it? i don't understand how it works

Guest petesasqwax
$99 though? I thought it was cheaper tbh. I think you can get the vinyls for about £15-£20 and maybe find the software for a *ahem* reduced rate?

word - tbh i have no issue with paying $99 for it (what's that, like £65 ish?) if it works

all i want is something i can use to cut with at home - purely cutting over my own beats and making scratch remixes out of tracks that were never on vinyl (i.e. friends playing instruments) if you get me

seems like this would be fine for me... but as above, i don't really get the concept

basically you decks go to the computer...this will give a digital reading to the software which will convert it into the song you are playing and send that to your mixer.

so if you have line out on your decks or your soundcard handles phono inputs then you just need a digital/audio converter. If not you will need phono preamp as well (one for each deck)

That's what I want it for too Wax. Basically, the SSL/FS box is an audio interface, and the SSL/FS software is specifically written for that particular interface, as far as I'm aware. If you already have a soundcard with decently low latency then you can use an 'open' piece of control software, like Ms Pinky, Mixvibes or DJ Decks. This is what I have gathered. I only have one stereo pair of line in and line out on my soundcard, so I could only use one deck as things stand. In fact, thinking about it, I guess I could only scratch with no other sound playing, and would have to have the beat coming from another source so as not to interfere... is this correct, does anyone know?

c

So just to get my head straight, if I wanted to scratch wavs in my productions, I would need two sets of stereo inputs on my soundcard, one to get the control vinyl sound into Ms Pinky (or whatever), and one to record the output from my mixer back into the sequencer?

c

Guest petesasqwax

that doesn't sound expensive though. i mean, one phono preamp and the software is all innit (i only want to cut up stuff in the studio)

it seems like the standalone app i want to use is mac only tho...

It is simple, but you guys are forgetting the most important requirement of your sound card. It has to have ASIO support, with low latency. A stock card my not have ASIO support, in which case while you'd appear to be doing everything correctly, it wouldnt work.

Yeah, if you already have a decent soundcard with enough inputs/outputs you are almost good to go. At best, they all perform pretty well - never quite as well as Serato though. Certainly "scratchable" providing you can run at an ASIO buffer size of 256samples or less.

Guest petesasqwax

well i have an m-audio audiophile 2496 which seems ok for general midi work - would i need to alter that?

also - djdecks.be - how's that one?

basically i don't want anything other than to cut over productions in a studio type environment.

Guest petesasqwax

word - i'm there already. just spoke to trick who made me realise how much of i knob i was for not looking there first or dropping you a line directly

thanks man (i lose track of how many times i've had cause to say that to you over the years)