Mixers?

Guest sirchickski

Guest sirchickski

Ok i have nearly everything for music recording. I got my audio card, my effects processor, my computer, with reason 3 pro tools 7 cubase sx3 and gigstudio. Now im missing a mixer.

Firstly i need a really good one, so are there any really good mixers that you guys know of?

secondly... i dont know much about mixers and when i looked around etc i read specifications on them, which i dont know what it all ment? What is important to know about mixers when you buy them ?

Edited by sirchick

It really depends on what kind of budget you're on. If you work primarily with ProTools, then I think the obvious choice would be the Digi002, which is absolutely fucking sweet. I've used it before and absolutely love it. A digital mixing board will be your best best in terms of flexibility and quality. If you need something versatile, i.e. something you could use when playing out as part of a sound stage/live audio rig, then go analog. But for studio work, digital is by far the best. Like i said, if you can afford it, go with the Digi002. On the other end of the spectrum, if you need the cheapest good quality digital mixer, the Tascam US428 USB would be a perfect choice. In between those two, I'd say go firewire if you can. Roland or Mackie would be good choices, as would Yamaha (though it would definitely be more expensive). Alesis is alright, but not my favorite, and I think that Boss mixing boards aren't all that great and tend to be slightly overpriced. If you're looking at just a midi control surface with no actual audio inputs, the Behringer BCF2000 is a wonderful fader-based midi control surface with motorized faders.

Somebody say word.

I should add that if you have a very solid multi-input audio card, that you don't really need a big digital mixer. If you're confident in your audio card, then a good midi control surface is all you really need. I highly reccommend the BCF2000.

Guest sirchickski

M-Audio Delta 1010LT is the audio card i have. And i am only using it for studio recording not for on the road stuff.

There appears to be alot of choice. How much is the digi002 roughly ? My max wld be 200 quid at the moment maybe 300 quid if i get extra money by the summer. I need quite alot of options on the mixer to fiddle with the sound as im a big experimental person when it comes to playing around with sounds :p

digi 02's dope, swat i use, interfaces with Tools real nice - tho if he's got protools already then he'll probably have an interface like an Mbox or the 02rack n there'll be no point in getting an 02console.

if i was buying now i'd buy the 02 Rack and look at other mixers. for gig purposes, the rack site nicely into a flightcase and you're running tools on the road - not easy to travel with the console coz it aint small

My personal feeling when getting a studio mixing desk would be not to get a digital one, since you've got mostly computer base setup 90% or mixing can be done digitally within the PC it's self (optionally controlled by a midi controller like the Behringer Max mentioned for that hands on feel).

Under your circumstances I'd only be thinking about an analogue desk which I could then used to mix down the outputs from the 10/10 in the analog domain to give it some warmth, analogue distortion/overdrive & eqing and more analoguey mix.

However, if you're doing this you probably want a nice sounding desk and not a cheap lump of crap which will damage the mix...generally if you look about on production forums everyone will advise getting a second hand one since there a plenty of top quality desks going cheap.

Anyway, other people might dissagree with me but my feeling in why the fucking would you want a digital desk to mix down tracks all coming from inside one computer unless you got some dogs bollox desk with a load of features...seems like a complete waste of money to me, if you had a load of outboard gear then it starts to make sense but for a computer based system and ever a couple of sound modules/effects seems like overkill/gear hunger to me.

yeah that kinda makes sense dude, if you can get a nice sounding desk in a good environment, good luck finding one, probably the budget you're working on wont benefit from the sound X2K's suggesting you might get from an 'analogue' system.

a project studio should be quick, uncomplicated and easy to use - if you're music's that good and that finished, why not take it to a half decent studio to do final mixes? i'd bet your monitoring environment wont do any justice to decent gear at all - save you're money, not spend it on gear that'll only really help the tunes close to mastering in an accoustically sound space?

good thing about digidesign desks is that they're made with tools in mind so many of the shortcutbuttons are found on the desk and you can fly around the system much quicker, operate the majority of the system you use day to day from the desk...you get to do everything in the box if you're a midi programmer too

another bonus with digital desks, and i think one of the main ones is when it comes to mixing your music - you can turn the monitor off and run everything from the desk, mix with purely your ears, stop watching waveforms, too many people mix with their eyes!

also i'd be suprised if anyone would plug a mic straight into a desk (unless it was armed with a nice mic pre's and probably not below a good few grand second hand),

i always use a pre before the desk from a condenser, often if i know the instrument im tracking then outboard eq aswell as the pre and finally at the end of the chain a small amount of compression too, all before it goes into the computer - get the sound right at source and you'll have less problems later.

solely my two c's

yeah that kinda makes sense dude, if you can get a nice sounding desk in a good environment, good luck finding one, probably the budget you're working on wont benefit from the sound X2K's suggesting you might get from an 'analogue' system. 

a project studio should be quick, uncomplicated and easy to use - if you're music's that good and that finished, why not take it to a half decent studio to do final mixes? i'd bet your monitoring environment wont do any justice to decent gear at all - save you're money, not spend it on gear that'll only really help the tunes close to mastering in an accoustically sound space?

good thing about digidesign desks is that they're made with tools in mind so many of the shortcutbuttons are found on the desk and you can fly around the system much quicker, operate the majority of the system you use day to day from the desk...you get to do everything in the box if you're a midi programmer too

another bonus with digital desks, and i think one of the main ones is when it comes to mixing your music - you can turn the monitor off and run everything from the desk, mix with purely your ears, stop watching waveforms, too many people mix with their eyes!

also i'd be suprised if anyone would plug a mic straight into a desk (unless it was armed with a nice mic pre's and probably not below a good few grand second hand),

i always use a pre before the desk from a condenser, often if i know the instrument im tracking then outboard eq aswell as the pre and finally at the end of the chain a small amount of compression too, all before it goes into the computer - get the sound right at source and you'll have less problems later.

solely my two c's

The dood talks sense ^^^

Reading that has just made me think, you didn't mention monitor speakers...what monitors you got? If you haven't got a fairly decent set of studio monitors, I'd say fuck the desk get some monitors...for £200-£300 you should be able to get a pretty decent set of monitors. I've personally got a pair of Alesis M1 actives, they're well within your price range now although I think there's some better things about for a similar price these days. I think the m-audio ones are nice, in fact there's a whole host of decent monitors for a good price out there and believe me....they'll make a damn site more difference than a mixing desk!

Then again if you've already got some decent monitors ignore everything I've just said :d

Yo Sirchik,

It seems you're new around here, so I'll be blunt.

I'm the DV gear hookup slut. Chances are i can help you get some better ish within your price range so just holla when you start to come to some decision as to what you're interested in.

Personally, I neither have monitors nor a desk, but monitors are eons higher on my list of priorities. Then again, I'm not much of a producer (not yet at least), so that's just me...

xander, you are far too predictable!

Well, in defense of myself, this is the first time I've ever used the phrase "gear hookup slut."

Other than that, yes, yes I am :d

Seriously though, everyone ends up happy with me and generally says they'll come back (and they do!) I know it probably annoying for the other regulars on here, but this dude has like 27 posts so gotta let homie know the deal haha :8

I'm thinking if there's anything else I should say...

X2K is a pimp...

Yep, that's pretty much all.