UTORRENT (BITTORRENT CLIENT)

Steve

I've been using Azureus for a long time, but I thought I'd give uTorrent a try. It has all the main features you need in a BitTorrent client, but it uses hardly any resources. Here's a screenshot of Task Manager. uTorrent is running with 3 torrents active: -

utorrent.jpg

It's a great program, so give it a try and see what you think of it. It's only 115Kb.

http://www.utorrent.com/download.php

I've been going to a bit torrent forum , and everyone there recommends this prog. I must change , but i still got downloads in azureus.

There also banning 'bit comet' cause ppl are leeching with it, can you still ban ppl with this prog??

µTorrent is astounding. In terms of performance, one client is much like another: they rely more heavily upon how you set up your maxconnections/up-down caps and so forth, so the choice of a bit-torrent client is mainly a matter of personal preferance. I do not know of another BT client that offers as clean an interface with such small overheads. Apparently µTorrent will run fine on a 486.

Do I need to change something in the preferences?

Search around for guides to setting up BT clients. Most are written for Azeurus, but it'll work fine for µT as well.

In particular, pay attention to your number of upload slots per torrent and your upload-rate. Basically, if you have too many upload slots assigned, you may be set up for 0.5K per peer -not much incentive to participate with you! If you tweak it so you're sharing with less people, but giving, say 2-3K as an absolute minimum, then the peers will more actively share with you.

I took a look at BC and Bitlord earlier this week. The most annoying thing is the way that they save the files in some temporary format before completion. This seems to mean that previewing content, or selecting parts to download and so forth is impossible. Plus, with µT/Az, you can port the download to eMule if it all goes tits up.

I frequently use µT's file priority feature. It's the nuts. Did I mention this already? If, for example, I download a television series or album, I bump the first episode/song onto 'high' priority. Then I can watch/listen while the others finish. Mint.

• 3 weeks later...

ok, utorrent is going on my shitlist

everytime i load utorrent.. my connection is like dead until i close it.. even then, i have to wait about 2 minutes.. then it comes back.. how can i fix this?

(man im just full of problems tonight)

Do you mean to say that your internet connection won't function at all while µTorrent is running? As in, µT isn't doing anything, but other apps won't work either? If this is the case, it might be a problem with your router/modem. A few years ago I had a shitty linksys 10/100 router and a NTL cable modem; I never figured out which was at fault but if my BT client attempted too many connections, the router would crash and I'd have to reboot both devices.

Say you were using an old router (or a modem over ethernet), and your client attempts an unsupported operation -uPnP port mapping, say, then there's a possiblity that they might crash as a result. Just a wild guess here.

Do other clients work OK? Have you managed to run any .torrent at all?

By the way -as an aside, learning a few methods of crashing or 'freezing' routers is invaluable if you're into WAP-hacking.... during the period for which the device is frozen, very often the firmware will accept the default password (admin/admin for most, including linksys, admin/password for netgear).

Of course, I'm not suggesting you should actually do that. Breaking the law isn't cool, and nor is free internet virtually everywhere you go... lol