DIY optical crossfader (updated)

gnuZ

Here's a nice little update for everyone. I got a package full of parts this morning and after an hour or so of soldering... my DIY optical crossfader works! It isn't attached to a crossfader body yet, but the electronic part works. Here's a video of me testing it, and here's the PCB:

The yellow line is a jumper that you can make out in the video. I used Optek Technologies OPB620 optical interrupters for the switches.

Also, If anyone has any broken or worn but physically working crossfaders they'd like to donate, please PM me. Thanks.

Update 24/12/05: I finally have pictures of my modified Stanton SA-3 crossfader. Here they are:

Click on the pictures to see larger versions.

As you can see, I chopped up the stock SA-3 fader and fitted my own ghetto optical PCB on there. I used different optical interrupters for this one than the one in the video; this one uses the Panasonic CNZ1021.

The cut is extremely sharp; using the curve control on my SA-3 at the highest/sharpest position it's basically on and off and at the dullest/lowest position it has a very slight fade (but still sharper than the highest/sharpest position on the stock fader). As for feel, it was (and still is) extremely loose, but due to being used this way for the past couple of months (and thus less smooth due to dirt and such) and me becoming used to it, it doesn't really bother me.

Edited by gnuZ

Yeah, that's exactly what it is. It's a Focus Fader clone based off of those drawings of the PCB Mike Reezy posted a little while back. Since no one knows what photointerrupters are actually on the Focus Fader I did it just to show that you could use the OPB620 and that you could make your own. I have some other switches from different companies but I haven't tried them yet so I'm not sure if they'll work.

Edited by gnuZ

How much did it cost to make? I realise it's not a fully working fader yet though.

2x Optek Technologies OPB620 = 2 x $1.62

4x Panasonic resistors = 4 x $0.17

1x Radio Shack Multipurpose PC Board = 1 x 1.79

TOTAL = $5.71 USD

Of course, this is just the cost of used parts only without taxes. DigiKey.com has a minimum order of 10 for each value of resistors you purchase. Then add shipping, handling, tax, etc.

Edited by gnuZ

I have a very good metalworkers perhaps 1000 yards up the road form me.

If you want to build another PCB and post it to me and I'll talk to them about getting a body custom-made?

They do a lot of small jobs for next to nothing there, they're really friendly.

• 4 months later...
  • 7 years later...

Well, looks like I better add 2 cents here....Let's put this in perspective it was first done in 1998, what was going on

at the time or what where you doing then? :rolleyes: I usually like to start off with that first since we take things out of context

and for granted...We live in the present and assume everything was as it is now.

The internet has changed it all, acces to information and parts at a fingertip.

For scratching super clean cuts is what we are after...special mention that the grand Epiphany

was possible due to Vestax using the VCA Circuity...That was the catalyst...So big ups Vestax you made it possible...

Good job with this ish though, from the get go if you were around in the 90's/2000's the plans were online and my perspective was

that it was easy to do so any of the Scratch Ninjas could do it for themselves, using Hall Effect Sensors or Optical

Sensors etc..any type of transducer you could hook up...

My surprise is that there is not that many Scratch Heads doing it now or more often, Everybody has dead faders laying around

so why not take your favorite Vestax,Rane,Alps,Stanton,Alpha,Bourns,Noble,TKD,Pro X fade etc etc...Slide potentiometer

and add the sensors the you have your own custom made Super Scratch Purpose Fader...

For example the Innofader which is what all the really Cool Kids are using in school now I found out is just a Bourns/Forward Electronics

Mechanism...If you prefer that feel then get you some for a few dollars online...

There are so many quality mechanisms out there now and that's 99.9% of it if you are into Cuting and Scratching...

All that extra circuitry is fluf and you don't need it for cutting it up fresh...

http://www.fwd.com.tw/doc/pd/RFXXBTK.pdf

That fader you used is an Alpha Fader and you added the shutter to it, so essentially you made

copy of the Focus Fader V1.0 first run...The Alpha Mechanism was used and larger Sensors...

Parts are not that critical...

From my Facebook page, first run Focus Fader V1.0 Alpha Mechanism with Larger

Sensors.....

1002520_10151812051061052_1478972780_n.j

Edited by Focus

• 8 years later...