Any Adruino users here?

Backstory

So I ended up converting an old PC Power Supply (ATX) into a 12v DC supply for sole purpose of testing out a pair of HID lights (without having to install them on the car) ...

That soon snowballed into creating a variable AC-DC power supply for vaping related uses,

Which then snowballed further into me buying a nice little Arduino kit (I already had most of the other electronic components from other projects).

After getting started with some basic example programs I'm shocked at how quickly an idea can transform into a working machine....

-

The next thought was "How can I apply this to a hobby in a simple way?"

Just wondering if anyone on DV has fiddled around with one of these bad boys and created something useful (or useless)?

No but I was well into all that at one point (as possibly already discussed on here).

I absolutely do want to make a midi > control voltage converter using one for a synth I have.

I have a mate whose job involves making loads of complex props for TV and he looks down on them a bit as hobbyist toys. Proper engineers use those small chips and program them themselves apparently.

I also have a couple of books of projects along these lines, one called "Hardware Hacks" and one called "Making Things Talk".

Guest Symatic

If you could make me an arduino thing that controls a technics 1210's pitch so it does a stable 16rpm, that'd be great

Guest Symatic

yeah its just one of the many possibilities i think. i just know that the most successful ultrapitch mod for technics involves DDS and PLL and i found some arduino projects that do these jobs. but on the other hand, i have no idea what i'm talking about

i make stuff with arduinos quite often,

the advantage over using bare chips is that lots of stuff is really simple to do and there is already a library to do practicaly everything you'll ever want to do,

the downside is that you can easily get in over your head and end up having to write everything from scratch because the libraries were all written by people with slightly diferent needs from yours.

arduinos *are* cheating, but thats the whole point. you get to make stuff that you wouldn't be able to if the work hadn't be done by someone else.

i made some stuff with pic microcontrolers before arduino came out, but it was so much of a pain in the ass to get the same results.

some stuff i made so far includes: anamatronic systems for costumes, dmx controlers for led strip lighting. dmx lighting controlers, i'm currently working on a wireless battery powered led lighting system.

if you are a real programer you probably don't need the arduino and you'll find the IDE a bit basic. but for mortals like me the arduino makes loads of non trivial stuff trivial again, and i don't have to read so many datasheets.

i think the real arduino hate comes from the amount of arduino projects that people post on the internet that could easily be done with a couple of transistors and a 555 timer chip.

obviously i wouldn't put an arduino in a comercial product, but for simple one-off projects it makes a lot of sense. i often make a sheild out of veroboard slap it on an arduino and start coding.

some stuff i'd like to do is:

midify my mixer, adding some arcade buttons and get a midi out from the crossfader.

make a midi pitch control for my numark ttx turntables. and maybe even give them dicer like cue point buttons.

I have made loads of arduino projects. Its all fun and easy but as someone mentioned it has its limits. If you are new to programming its perfect.

If you could make me an arduino thing that controls a technics 1210's pitch so it does a stable 16rpm, that'd be great

Done! But not on arduino :). I'm doing my thesis report now. Its about 3-Phase Brushless DC Motor Control . I made the Technics go 16,33,45,78, ± (50%),more torque and backwards all in one.But there is more work to do with torque and speed control before I say "Success".

Guest rasteri

I have made loads of arduino projects. Its all fun and easy but as someone mentioned it has its limits. If you are new to programming its perfect.

Done! But not on arduino :). I'm doing my thesis report now. Its about 3-Phase Brushless DC Motor Control . I made the Technics go 16,33,45,78, ± (50%),more torque and backwards all in one.But there is more work to do with torque and speed control before I say "Success".

Fucking hell mate, I presume you bypassed AN6680 entirely then? That's fucking sick.

You guys are definitely eons past what I'm imagining.

My programming skills aren't there yet, and so far I'm thinking ways to automate things that can be done physically (rather than converting data into other data)

For Vaping I have many (useless but fun) ideas.

One is a vaping device that detects a difference in fill level which can then activate a small e liquid pump to refill the tank. A heat sensor can shut the device off before a dry burn.

For Djing I think it's a lot harder to apply the arduino in a tangible way. Backtrack basically had to reinvent the motor. CV is a lot of coding too I imagine.

Guest rasteri

Thanks man!

Yea...Nothing is used but the powertransformer. Brand new mainboard with the same stator.

That is ridiculously cool.