anyone know tha 05 fader mod....

CompeteWithPete

i heard about a mod for the vestax fader that involves removing the black strips in the fader and replacing it with some kind of tape or sumshit. therefor making it last forever...

anyone know about this? tried it? does it wrk? how do u do it? is it cool? what came first, the chicken or the egg? does it still feel buttery?

There are 2 mods.

1. Scrape mod - remove the inside carbon strips for a cleaner, faster cut. Fader stays buttery.

2.Tape mod - same principle, but use packing tape to cover them.Fader is mostly buttery, but has a bump.

Check Asis for more details.

that sounds like 2 different mods your on about i think....

the first involves scraping away the carbon track to adjust your cut-in time (i havnt tried this mod it sounds very final once u done it)

the second is the tape mod, which works like a dream...it involves using some thin electrically insulated tape to cover the carbon tracks, which gives an instant cut-in feel. its not as buttery cos u can slightly feel the bump as the brushes go over the edge of the tape, but the thinner the tape, the better it will feel.

if the tape u use is too thick, then the brushes might snag on the tape and kill the brushes so beware....

and basically the closer the tape is to the end of the track, the tighter the cut-in point will be. if you look real close at th carbon track, you can see it changes thickness nearer the edges of the fader. this is the area u wanna cover. how far back or forward you place the tape will determine where your cut in point kicks in.

and if you do this mod, then fader curve adjust wont work......but who gives a shit wheen u got instant cut in!!

Guest Deeswift

I'm using a modded PCV, done with parcel tape. Works good, and with parcel tape you barely feel the bump, if ever at all. You need to cut a small piece of tape with a scalpel / surgical blade or similar and you need to get the cut very precise. If you fuck up, go back and do it again. It takes some practice to get it it perfect but persevere and it's all good.

There's a few things you might need here:

Sticker backing paper. For your tape to stick to while you cut it.

A ruler, or you can just use the black metal fader mounting plate.

Isopropyl alcohol, good for cleaning the fader up before you mod it and also in case you need to remove the mod it will clean up the goo left over. It's important to keep it clean.

Cotton buds / Q-tips. Again, for cleaning up the fader.

Needle nosed pliers. Use these for bending the little metal prongs that hold the top rail to the fader casing. You'll need to gently bend these bits so you can remove the top rail and slider assemly. Careful when removing the slider part -- there's little metal brushes which contact the polycarbonate tracks. Don't damage those. Also, the slider assembly rests on the bottom rail with an upside-down U shaped piece of black plastic. This part is breakable. Take care with this too. I had to trash an almost brand new PCV because I broke one. :@@

Lube. You should give the rails a spot of lube to get it nice and smooth once the mod is in place. If you don't have any good quality lube, even the regular old 3in1 type of oil will do. Hair clipper oil is OK but too runny. Gun oil is very good.

Rubber washers. In a PCV fader there's 2 rubber washers -- 1 at each end of the rail. If you have a full set of PCV faders, steal a couple off the bottom of your line faders, you won't miss them. Put 2 washers at either end of the top rail of the crossfader rather than just the one. This will improve the cut in point dramatically.

When it comes to cutting the tape, you need to leave a couple of mm's of the black polycarbonate strips (just as Chris described) -- don't cover those with the parcel tape. If you get this mod right pretty much as I described it, your cut in point should be about 1 mm in, and the cut in time is on / off (instant).

Tip: Make a card template for your tape mod first, then you can cut the tape to the same size.

Guest Deeswift

You don't need to scrape it AND put tape on it. You need to do one or the other. No sense in putting tape over a scraped carbon strip.

Tape mod will not damage your fader, so choose wisely.

Guest Mike Reezy

thanks DEE

Why do you not cover up all the black completely?

Why do you leave the ends uncovered?

Just wondering, because when you scrape it you take it all off right? So its unneeded right?

Also in this fashion do your contacts ever go off/on the tape?

Or are they always on?

Guest Deeswift

They go past the end of the tape by a small amount, maybe half a mil.

As far as I know you can't cover the whole of the black strips, the fader will not cut out at all if you do this.

Guest Mike Reezy
They go past the end of the tape by a small amount, maybe half a mil.

As far as I know you can't cover the whole of the black strips, the fader will not cut out at all if you do this.

if this was true, then how does it work when you scrape it all completely off?

I scraped all the black off of tracks 2 and 4 (from top down) and my fader still works.

The contacts touch the copper on the edge (which completes the circuit)

Am I missing something? I just wanna know why you dont cover the black completely

Also do your contacts go on/off the tape or what? I heard that is very bad for them. I would assume no because it goes all the way across.

The tape mod on the modsquad must be just for one side I guess

thanks for your preciious time DEE.

Guest Deeswift

Yes mate, the contacts go on/off the tape. It's not bad, parcel tape is thin enough and rarely damages the contacts. If you use electrical tape, expect problems. You're right about the mod squad article, it only mods one side. Stupid, cause it's just as easy to mod both.

Regarding the scrape mod, I have no clue about it, never tried it. Been modding faders with tape since 2000 though, and my way works well. Can't see the point of the scrape mod, tape mods do a great job.

Guest Mike Reezy
Yes mate, the contacts go on/off the tape. It's not bad, parcel tape is thin enough and rarely damages the contacts. If you use electrical tape, expect problems. You're right about the mod squad article, it only mods one side. Stupid, cause it's just as easy to mod both.

Regarding the scrape mod, I have no clue about it, never tried it. Been modding faders with tape since 2000 though, and my way works well. Can't see the point of the scrape mod, tape mods do a great job.

ill take your word for it.

Why does the modsquad mod talk about how your fader shuoldnt be going on/off the tape, about making it long enough so you dont go off of it?

So just regular brown parcel packaging tape?

Guest Deeswift

it has to go off the tape. Try it. Yeah though, regular brown parcel tape. Get nice quality stuff if you can, it varies, and cheap shit leaves goo behind when you have to remove the mod.

Guest Mike Reezy
it has to go off the tape. Try it. Yeah though, regular brown parcel tape. Get nice quality stuff if you can, it varies, and cheap shit leaves goo behind when you have to remove the mod.

how do you measure the tape for kutting other than trial and error?

If you have the measurements that would be great.

thanks

Guest Mike Reezy
Make a template from thin card.

what should I be making the template off of, just put in the card and approx measure till it looks like close to waht you did?

SO no matter what I have some trial and error?

I wouldnt ask so many qiuestions, I would jsut do it, but I dont have a vestax mixer available to fuck with.

Guest Deeswift

Just guess the template until it looks right, as you mentioned. You probably will have some trial and error, but follow what I've been saying and it'll work fine. Maybe it'll take you a couple of tries to get it perfect, but putting a bit of tape on a fader is no big deal, just go ahead and try it when you have a Vestax to fuck with.

Guest Mike Reezy
Just guess the template until it looks right, as you mentioned. You probably will have some trial and error, but follow what I've been saying and it'll work fine. Maybe it'll take you a couple of tries to get it perfect, but putting a bit of tape on a fader is no big deal, just go ahead and try it when you have a Vestax to fuck with.

aight. ;)